Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

the Sopranos -- "Chasing It" -- 04.29.2007

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

the Sopranos -- "Chasing It" -- 04.29.2007

Old 04-30-07, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so chase has been dropping hints of a terrorist plot for 3 seasons now.. i have a feeling something about it will come up in the next few episodes.. i really don't get where these final episodes are heading, so far they've been pretty stupid. The series will probably have all the loose ends left hanging and some crazy ending that will allow for a movie or something.
Old 04-30-07, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276
they werent insinuating that Tony had anything to do with Hesche's GF were they?

Also, where did Tony suddenly come up with the $$$ to pay him back???
I think Renata just died in her sleep, no foul play. And Tony got the money from offshore accounts, he mentioned he was going to move some around to get the 100k for Marie.
Old 04-30-07, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by kinetic
so chase has been dropping hints of a terrorist plot for 3 seasons now.. i have a feeling something about it will come up in the next few episodes.. i really don't get where these final episodes are heading, so far they've been pretty stupid. The series will probably have all the loose ends left hanging and some crazy ending that will allow for a movie or something.
Part of me thinks this whole terrorist subplot will amount to nothing, and be one big tease. I think that is the only negative of this show sometimes is that Chase leaves things dangling too much.
Old 04-30-07, 06:33 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
This was an interesting filler episode, i enjoyed it BUT with so few episodes left to go, it was out of place. The run home has to be fast paced balls to the wall.
Old 04-30-07, 08:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I was expecting more from "The Final Episodes". Didn't expect to see such a focus on Vito Jr, who by the way needs a good smacking.
Old 04-30-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ1276
Also, where did Tony suddenly come up with the $$$ to pay him back???
Carmella gave her husband the money - Ironic huh? The wife bailing her deadbeat husband out with Legitimate money.
Old 04-30-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
My take was that it wasn't that Tony lacked the money to pay him back. He had ample supply stored up in various places. But he didn't want to dip into it. He wanted to pay the debt through new income (gambling wins, some earner stepping up, etc.).
Old 04-30-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I gotta laugh at the complaints about this episode. Has anyone actually been paying attention to the show for season 5 and 6? The payoffs for build-ups either never materialized or underwhelming. This isn't anything new.

We may not want to admit it, but the entire series has been one big rorschach test. We are seeing things that may or may not actually be there. Some of us are attributing well thought out intricate plots where there are none. I plead guilty on that.

There's no objective standard for what makes a good Soprano episode, so it's all subjective. I thought last night's episode was another solid one consistent with the "winding down" theme of these last 9 episodes.

Tony's turning on Hesch was a sad commentary on just how far Tony has sunk.

Many are looking at Vito jr. and saying, "wtf". But that's because you are looking at it simply as a subplot about Vito jr. I prefer to look at it from the other side, we can see how those around react to the situation to get some insight about their state of mind at this point in time.

Given the history of the show, it is unreasonable to expect a multi-episode finale... maybe 2 episodes at the most. When something happens, it happens in a flash. Anyone expecting that the last 9 episodes were going to be a sprint to the finish are being unrealistic.
Old 04-30-07, 08:51 AM

Actually, I liked this episode. After following the Sopranos since the 1st season, I'm not about to miss the last few. I'm really curious how David Chase is going to wrap it all up. Also, we had foreshadowing about Renata. Hesch mentioned that she was having another migraine. While it was a lie this time, I assumed she had suffered those before, which makes it a believeable lie. So, I'm thinking she had an aneurysm or something like that.
J
Old 04-30-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it just me or was it weird that the Tony was watching pro football with the guys in one scene and eating dinner with his family outside in the next?
Old 04-30-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I just read potential "spoilers" for the last few episodes, and if they are true then 'Holy Shit" I won't spill the beans (unless you all want me to) but things are going to pick up these last few episodes, and the second to las episode(this isn't a biggie)
Spoiler:
will be about 90 minutes long and some of it will be in black and white dealing with many of the major characters introductions into the mob
In regards to your spoiler, that would be a nifty trick, considering
Spoiler:
they're all old as shit, and not all the movie-makeup in the world can make those characters appear young and fit

As far as the "holy shit" comment, I wouldn't mind if you spilled the beans in either a link or a spoiler.
Old 04-30-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought AJ's girlfriend was pregnant - emotional outbursts, frequent trips to the bathroom, not feeling well. i have a feeling she does not want to tell AJ because she does not want to be involved with his family. as such, she breaks it off with him before the pregnancy becomes evident.
Old 04-30-07, 09:47 AM

I love The Sopranos, I really do....but why does every episode feel like it's separates itself from all other episodes of the season? I don't feel a sense of continuity at all episode to episode. Last week it focused on Tony/Pauly and Uncle Jr./Asian kid. This week Tony's bad luck gambling/owing Hesh money and Vito's kid. It's like each episode is in it's own season.

I'm not one of the fans who wants to see someone whacked every week but I would at least like to see a continual plot progression through the season leading up to something....
Old 04-30-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
"You look like a Puerto Rican whore."

Funny line.

Other than that, what a waste of an episode.
Old 04-30-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by auto
Is it just me or was it weird that the Tony was watching pro football with the guys in one scene and eating dinner with his family outside in the next?
Or the Puerto Rican Day parade was during football season?

This episode apparently took place during 3 years actual time!!!!
Old 04-30-07, 10:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by SBrooks1
I love The Sopranos, I really do....but why does every episode feel like it's separates itself from all other episodes of the season? I don't feel a sense of continuity at all episode to episode. Last week it focused on Tony/Pauly and Uncle Jr./Asian kid. This week Tony's bad luck gambling/owing Hesh money and Vito's kid. It's like each episode is in it's own season.

I'm not one of the fans who wants to see someone whacked every week but I would at least like to see a continual plot progression through the season leading up to something....
David Chase has said in interviews that he writes each episode to first stand alone, so it can be watched with a sense of beginning and ending for the viewer. But at the end of the episode, the viewer should then look at the larger story it tries to tell as to relating to the overall arc of the season.
Old 04-30-07, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by coli
David Chase has said in interviews that he writes each episode to first stand alone, so it can be watched with a sense of beginning and ending for the viewer. But at the end of the episode, the viewer should then look at the larger story it tries to tell as to relating to the overall arc of the season.
I understand that and respect him for doing that. But at the same time to have episodes like that in the final season without feeling a sense of build up or a running plot is a little discouraging.
Old 04-30-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
I think at this point a lot of people are looking for more than enjoyable episodes. They're looking for the catalyst for a monumental closure for the series. Vito's kid taking a shit in the shower doesn't seem too monumental.
I suggest you take a shit in your shower friend and leave it for your wife to clean up. Then we'll see how monumental dropping a duece in the tub is!
Old 04-30-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
I gotta laugh at the complaints about this episode. Has anyone actually been paying attention to the show for season 5 and 6? The payoffs for build-ups either never materialized or underwhelming. This isn't anything new.

We may not want to admit it, but the entire series has been one big rorschach test. We are seeing things that may or may not actually be there. Some of us are attributing well thought out intricate plots where there are none. I plead guilty on that.
I believe you're looking for the thread for Lost.
Old 04-30-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tony is becoming an unpredictable (even for him) psychopath in this season. I almost expect him to grow horns out of his head - he is quite volatile, ready to shoot up the Bing any minute...

I felt nothing but tension watching this episode - I suppose that's a good thing. I was afraid of Tony - he's ready to wack just about anybody! From Hesch to his own wife. I was on the edge of my seat last night just watching his antics. Nerve-wracking.

Great performances, always. I agree with most, however, about no lead up's for this final season. You would think the show isn't about to end in five episodes, that Chase changed his mind and signed on for another five years...
Old 04-30-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SBrooks1

The Paulie stuff from last week and the gambling/Hesh stuff from this week (and even the Vito Jr. stuff) are all part of the same storyline -- Tony's crew is not earning for him and it is putting him under increasing stress.

Another place we saw this was his conversation with Melfi. She's trying to get him to come to his sessions more often for theraputic reasons, but all he sees is Melfi trying to shake him down for more money.
Old 04-30-07, 10:58 AM

Time for the weekly Sopranos analysis. This week's theme = Women's Independence

- Well, Tony's gambling has officially entered Davey Scatino territory (remember the guy who gambled away Ramsey Outdoor in season 2). He borrows $200K from Hesh, loses, and continues to gamble. Overall, it looks like he's down at least $600K; and instead of giving Hesh all of the money at once, he plans on giving him a paltry $3K a week. True degenerate. The reason for his gambling is simple... He is bored. Life has been good for too long. He's looking for some huge drama to shake things up a bit; almost like sabotoge. His trip to purgatory last year has left him with the idea that he's going to hell anyway; so why not get his hands dirtier?

- Tony busting out the Jewish stereotypes was cruel. I've always been in the mindset of paying a debt off immediately. If I ask you for $5, be sure that you will get your money back the next time I see you. Rubbing two coins together to make fun of Hesh was nasty. If there is anything worse than you owing Tony a favor, maybe its him owing you one?

- Renata. Tony did not kill her or have her killed. Its an unfortunate coincidence (and a stupid one at that). If Tony has a beef with Hesh, he'll deal with Hesh. It would be rather pointless to have her killed and then hand over the money Hesh is owed. Tony hands the money over to Hesh as a gesture of sorrow for his loss; although it came across badly because of the timing.

- The timeline is screwed up... The Puerto Rican Day Parade is in June. Everyone is wearing short sleeves. Its raining outside. But we're in the middle of football and basketball season? Huh?

- Blanca. I did not expect a breakup at all (and who didn't think the guy in the car with her was her new man, and not her brother). Blanca's personality is hard to get a read on. She pursued AJ, most likely with some gold-digging intentions. She has enjoyed his lifestyle, but now has become sick of him. Like everyone, I fully expected her to get pregnant, and manipulate him into proposing. He's a complete dumbass
(please note all the puerto rican flags on his Nissan Exterra), who's desperate to get her back. I would have preferred the more obvious swerve of her cheating on him, getting pregnant with someone else's kid, and AJ still stays with her.

- Bobby looks pretty angry these days. Wonder why?

- Nancy Sinatra. Ewwww. Phil's the boss, and we'll have to wait for the inevitable showdown with Jersey... or do we? 5 episodes is not long enough to conclude the rivalry; if it ever kicks off.

- Vito Jr. I was intrigued at the story, and its one of those stories that has no real significance rather than to give insight on how truly horrible Tony is. Its all about money. In retrospect, Vito's death has cost Tony way too much. Phil should be financially responsible, right? After all, he killed Vito because he's related to V's wife? Phil has started to flex his muscle with Tony, and is doing whatever it takes to regain the "Leonardo" name. BTW, is the goth look even relevant anymore? Also, the shower scene was wrong on so many levels (I can't believe that teenage boys are forced to shower together, and the dookie was just nasty). Don't get me started on the militants from Idaho. Can there be a worse idea than sending your child to Idaho to get beat (and possibly molested) by a bunch of bible thumping hicks? Once again, Tony proves he's a joyless pariah.

- Tony vs. Carmela. Thats right Tony, alienate everybody. Carmela worked like a dog for 2 years to build the house, and you want to take a cut of it and gamble on the Jets vs. Chargers game. To Carmela, it was more insulting than his years of infidelity could ever be. He made an interesting point on how their income isn't truly shared, but for Carmela, the spec house was more about accomplishing something; that if something happened to Tony (something always happens to the boss) that she could take care of herself. Tony made his opinion clear when he told her that "When I die, you can live in a dumpster for all I care." Once again, death is too nice an ending for Tony. Which leads me to...

- Terrorism. Boy, did they whack us over the head with that? It was obvious from day 1 that those boys were no good; but there was all the proof you needed (complete with a lookout). Is NJ headed for a Nuclear Holocaust? Probably not. But I'm sure the feds are well aware of the mob's unintentional financing of terrorist activity.

- "You go about and pity for yourself" = poor you. Glad to see that Livia still lives on...
Old 04-30-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Or the Puerto Rican Day parade was during football season?

This episode apparently took place during 3 years actual time!!!!
Tony was also watching basketball at one point, so we're at some point in November or December.

And I think AJ called it a "Latino Day Parade" or something -- so it's not Puerto Rican Day, even though all we saw as he was driving down the street were Puerto Rican flags.
Old 04-30-07, 11:14 AM

Nice analysis jackepstein. Good read...
Old 04-30-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jackepstein
Time for the weekly Sopranos analysis. This week's theme = Women's Independence

- Well, Tony's gambling has officially entered Davey Scatino territory (remember the guy who gambled away Ramsey Outdoor in season 2). He borrows $200K from Hesh, loses, and continues to gamble. Overall, it looks like he's down at least $600K; and instead of giving Hesh all of the money at once, he plans on giving him a paltry $3K a week. True degenerate. The reason for his gambling is simple... He is bored. Life has been good for too long. He's looking for some huge drama to shake things up a bit; almost like sabotoge. His trip to purgatory last year has left him with the idea that he's going to hell anyway; so why not get his hands dirtier?

- Tony busting out the Jewish stereotypes was cruel. I've always been in the mindset of paying a debt off immediately. If I ask you for $5, be sure that you will get your money back the next time I see you. Rubbing two coins together to make fun of Hesh was nasty. If there is anything worse than you owing Tony a favor, maybe its him owing you one?

- Renata. Tony did not kill her or have her killed. Its an unfortunate coincidence (and a stupid one at that). If Tony has a beef with Hesh, he'll deal with Hesh. It would be rather pointless to have her killed and then hand over the money Hesh is owed. Tony hands the money over to Hesh as a gesture of sorrow for his loss; although it came across badly because of the timing.

- The timeline is screwed up... The Puerto Rican Day Parade is in June. Everyone is wearing short sleeves. Its raining outside. But we're in the middle of football and basketball season? Huh?

- Blanca. I did not expect a breakup at all (and who didn't think the guy in the car with her was her new man, and not her brother). Blanca's personality is hard to get a read on. She pursued AJ, most likely with some gold-digging intentions. She has enjoyed his lifestyle, but now has become sick of him. Like everyone, I fully expected her to get pregnant, and manipulate him into proposing. He's a complete dumbass
(please note all the puerto rican flags on his Nissan Exterra), who's desperate to get her back. I would have preferred the more obvious swerve of her cheating on him, getting pregnant with someone else's kid, and AJ still stays with her.

- Bobby looks pretty angry these days. Wonder why?

- Nancy Sinatra. Ewwww. Phil's the boss, and we'll have to wait for the inevitable showdown with Jersey... or do we? 5 episodes is not long enough to conclude the rivalry; if it ever kicks off.

- Vito Jr. I was intrigued at the story, and its one of those stories that has no real significance rather than to give insight on how truly horrible Tony is. Its all about money. In retrospect, Vito's death has cost Tony way too much. Phil should be financially responsible, right? After all, he killed Vito because he's related to V's wife? Phil has started to flex his muscle with Tony, and is doing whatever it takes to regain the "Leonardo" name. BTW, is the goth look even relevant anymore? Also, the shower scene was wrong on so many levels (I can't believe that teenage boys are forced to shower together, and the dookie was just nasty). Don't get me started on the militants from Idaho. Can there be a worse idea than sending your child to Idaho to get beat (and possibly molested) by a bunch of bible thumping hicks? Once again, Tony proves he's a joyless pariah.

- Tony vs. Carmela. Thats right Tony, alienate everybody. Carmela worked like a dog for 2 years to build the house, and you want to take a cut of it and gamble on the Jets vs. Chargers game. To Carmela, it was more insulting than his years of infidelity could ever be. He made an interesting point on how their income isn't truly shared, but for Carmela, the spec house was more about accomplishing something; that if something happened to Tony (something always happens to the boss) that she could take care of herself. Tony made his opinion clear when he told her that "When I die, you can live in a dumpster for all I care." Once again, death is too nice an ending for Tony. Which leads me to...

- Terrorism. Boy, did they whack us over the head with that? It was obvious from day 1 that those boys were no good; but there was all the proof you needed (complete with a lookout). Is NJ headed for a Nuclear Holocaust? Probably not. But I'm sure the feds are well aware of the mob's unintentional financing of terrorist activity.

- "You go about and pity for yourself" = poor you. Glad to see that Livia still lives on...

I got that his net worth was only 600,000 out of the conversation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.