DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Alec Baldwin wants to leave "30 Rock" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/498965-alec-baldwin-wants-leave-30-rock.html)

Ronnie Dobbs 04-25-07 05:14 PM

Alec Baldwin wants to leave "30 Rock"

I'm betting it'll last three seasons like Arrested Development.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...-entertainment

onebyone 04-25-07 05:18 PM

Well, too damn bad for him, but he can't go. Sorry.

Tracer Bullet 04-25-07 05:20 PM

If he leaves the show is done.

J.J.A. Sabadoz 04-25-07 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

No question he's great on the show, but it's been a relatively unpopular first season, I think they could drop him with out too much hassle.

They could replace him with Will Arnett. He's basically already done the part on the show already.

Ronnie Dobbs 04-25-07 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by J.J.A. Sabadoz
No question he's great on the show, but it's been a relatively unpopular first season, I think they could drop him with out too much hassle.

They could replace him with Will Arnett. He's basically already done the part on the show already.

Will Arnett or Rip Torn. I like how you think.

FatTony 04-25-07 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by J.J.A. Sabadoz

Now that you've put that possibility in my mind, I *hope* Baldwin leaves the show.

invisiblegt 04-25-07 06:08 PM

I'm still astonished at the comparisons, in any light, to the brilliance that was "Arrested Devlopment."

It is a decent enough show, to be sure. But, for some reason, it still lacks something definitive that would enable it to rise to the level of a show the quality of "AD," "The Office," or "Scrubs."

And, should they decide to allow Baldwin to leave the show, and opt to replace him with someone else, Will Arnett would be a terrible choice. He was, dare I say, near genius in "AD," but in nearly every other role I have encountered him in, he has proved to be a fairly poor actor.

groovrbaby 04-25-07 06:09 PM

Will Arnett would be great! But Baldwin is still the man and I hope he sticks it out.

Jadzia 04-25-07 06:10 PM

I am sure NBC will end up cancelling it soon anyway.

BDB 04-25-07 06:11 PM

See the producers saw this coming, thats why the brought in GOB!!! I'll miss Alec, but GOB I can see running the show..

zebop 04-25-07 06:15 PM

For some reason I don't like "30 Rock" all that much.

Baldwin's making a class A jackass of himself. First that rant-a-thon with his kid and now this. He might need help.

bboisvert 04-25-07 06:18 PM

Baldwin has threatened to leave before and not followed through... I see no reason to trust him this time.

movieking 04-25-07 06:37 PM

So why does he want to leave? Because it is causing too much stress on his family life? The article doesn't give any details.

He is the best part of 30 Rock, and for him to leave would be a killer.

Mercury&Solace 04-25-07 06:41 PM

Yep.

BDB 04-25-07 06:42 PM

ALEC BALDWIN TAPES INTERVIEW; WANTS OUT OF TV
Wed Apr 25 2007 17:04:40 ET

**Exclusive**

Alec Baldwin has taped an interview with Rosie O'Donnell for ABC's VIEW, sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

O'Donnell told the studio audience off camera that this will be the actor's only interview.

"He is leaving the country," O'Donnell told a stunned audience, says a source. [It was not clear if it was for vacation or an extended period of time.]

She said she advised Baldwin against doing the interview.

MORE

During the session, to air Friday, Baldwin apologized for his tirade against his daughter.

He also explained how he wants out of the TV business:

"I have been in the business for over 27 years and I don't care if I do anything else in TV ever again."

Baldwin left CREATIVE ARTISTS AGENCY on Monday. No reason for the split was provided.

Developing...

source: Drudge Report

Tracer Bullet 04-25-07 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I am sure NBC will end up cancelling it soon anyway.

It's already been renewed for another season.

zebop 04-25-07 06:52 PM

It would be hilarious if Baldwin did leave and they replaced him with Ted McGinley.

Perkinsun Dzees 04-25-07 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by movieking
So why does he want to leave?

He probably needs more time to straighten out his daughter.

Fielding Mellish 04-25-07 06:58 PM

Third dat.

MrBob 04-25-07 07:15 PM

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8ONUNG81.html

Baldwin's Request to Quit Sitcom Denied

By LYNN ELBER

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Divorced dad Alec Baldwin, caught yelling at his daughter on a voicemail message, said Wednesday he asked NBC to let him out of his "30 Rock" contract so he can devote his time to the issue of "parental alienation."

"If I never acted again I couldn't care less," Baldwin said in a pre-taped appearance for ABC's "The View," scheduled to air Friday.

The actor, in a transcript provided to The Associated Press by "The View," said that he also wanted to quit "30 Rock" so the sitcom and the hundreds who work on it wouldn't "be hurt by the situation."

NBC, however, quickly shot down the idea. The actor has became a key asset for the freshman sitcom, stealing the show as an oily but charming network executive overseeing a "Saturday Night Live"-type program.

"Alec Baldwin remains an important part of '30 Rock.' We look forward to having him continue his role in the show," NBC said in a statement Wednesday.

A network spokeswoman said she didn't know how many seasons his contract covered. A call to Baldwin's publicist in New York was not immediately returned.

Baldwin intends to fulfill his obligation to the show, a source close to the actor said Wednesday, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to make a statement.

"30 Rock," created by and starring "Saturday Night Live" alumna Tina Fey, has been renewed for a second year. Production wrapped in March and the season finale airs Wednesday for the show that has gotten rave reviews but mediocre ratings.

Baldwin and ex-wife Kim Basinger have been embroiled since their 2002 divorce in a custody dispute over their daughter, Ireland, 11. It boiled up recently over Baldwin's telephone message for his daughter, berating her as a "rude, thoughtless little pig" for missing his call.

A tape of the message was obtained by celebrity Web site TMZ.com and broadcast worldwide. The actor blamed his former wife for leaking the tape, which she denied.

Baldwin was interviewed on "The View" by Barbara Walters and Rosie O'Donnell. (O'Donnell announced Wednesday she would be leaving the show after she and ABC failed to come to terms on a contract.)

Walters asked Baldwin about his harsh remarks to his daughter.

"You didn't mean to say it to your child?" she said.

"Well, there's nothing wrong with being frustrated or angry about something," he replied. "It's the way you do it, and as people often do in this world, I took it out on the wrong person because I'm unable, under the current dynamic, to address the other person."

"I realize that was wrong," Baldwin added.

"You said it to your daughter, but you meant it for your ex-wife?" Walters asked.

"Well, I think that goes without saying, quite frankly," Baldwin said.

Asked by Walters if he had spoken to his daughter since and how things stood, Baldwin declined to answer, citing "ongoing procedures and so forth."

The next hearing on visitation issues is scheduled for May 4.

According to the partial transcript from "The View," Baldwin said he intended to take "three years or five years, it doesn't matter," and focus on the problem of divorced parents and their children. He has a book coming out about divorce litigation, possibly this fall, he said.

"There were bills that were proposed in (by California lawmakers) that were killed which were about equality and co-parenting and divorce litigation and ... this is work that I've been creeping up on, but I've been busy," he said.

Acting has lost its importance to him, he said.

"I've had enough of this quite frankly to last me a lifetime, especially in the modern tabloid world and ... there's a bigger thing I want to do, there's a more important thing I want to do," Baldwin said.

Damn this show will be dead in the water without Baldwin

Jadzia 04-25-07 07:16 PM

It's already been renewed for another season.

I still remember how NBC renewed Boomtown only to cancel it a few episodes into the second season. Despite the renewal, I don't think NBC is that committed to the show. It was on the bubble to begin with, so if it doesn't do well next season I can see them yanking it.

Seantn 04-25-07 07:32 PM

At least it has been given a fair chance. They gave it a full first season, renewed it for a 2nd season. If it doesn't catch on with people after that, I don't think NBC has done anything wrong, even if they cancel it.

Jimmy James 04-25-07 09:02 PM

I think there is a chance the show could rebound from this, but I would really be concerned they won't get that chance if this turns ugly. Aside from Boomtown, there are other examples of the renewal followed by canning. This season, we had The Loop (I'm assuming since it hasn't aired that it's done). Fox also canned Tru Calling in short order after giving it a full year and finally starting to see some semblance of quality out of the show at the very end of season one.

As to replacing Baldwin if it comes to that, I'd suggest bringing in somebody very different would be best. I don't want an "almost as good as Alec Baldwin" like Arnett in the role. It wouldn't be fair to him, honestly.

bboisvert 04-25-07 09:26 PM

^
Farscape also famously leaps to mind. Renewals don't always mean the show's coming back.

Ronnie Dobbs 04-25-07 10:14 PM

I think with the exception of the talent "30 Rock" is prob a pretty inexpensive show for NBC to produce. They shoot primarily on location with the exception of some interior shots on their Long Island stage. They have a contract with Lorne Michaels who also does Conan and SNL. Plus most of the talent they use crossover from shows. I can't see the show costing more than 120K per episode talent included.