Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Sopranos - "Remember When" - 04/22/07

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Asian dude was pissed that Junior shushed him from across the room. Asians hate that shit!

Shush!
Old 04-23-07, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to be reading a lot of "down" comments about The Sopranos lately. Coupled with the lower ratings I must say I'm a bit shocked at the negativity. Granted, The Sopranos isn't everyone's cup of tea but I'm starting to wonder if it doesn't speak to the average viewer's expectations in watching a tv show, movie, etc..... With this billed as "The Final Season" I think there is a very large burden on the show to pay off in ways I don't think are feasible. Rather than taking the show at face value, the average joe is looking at what's not happening based on what they feel should happen.

Regardless of your opinion on the show, I know that for one hour on Sunday, I'm going to see something that is original, well made and without a doubt will be debated & scrutinized 20 years from now as one of the best series of all time.

I think with regard to this season, we will make the "rounds." Every character that has played a prominent role in the series will get their due. The beauty of this and the show is, they have to much respect for us as an audience and to the body of the show as a whole to cheapen and satisfy the blood thirsty ones who scream for death and mayhem every week. The first ep Bobby & Janice, the next Johnny Sack, this past week Uncle June & Paulie.

I for one can't wait for the final six.
Old 04-23-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that asian kid looked familiar. so i looked around and found out he was one of magneto's new henchmen in x3.
Old 04-23-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, he was porcupine kid.
Old 04-23-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Like 9/11, we didn't get movies or t.v. movies about for years.
It's called paying respect to the dead victims and their families.
Utter PC crap. EVERYONE in the Sopranos is pissed off, so because one is Asian it is disrespecting the Va Tech families. Please.
Old 04-23-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I thought HBO should not have run this episode.
As I was watching this and saw the asian actor sure looked too close to the killer in the Va. Tech massarce. I kept thinking what must be going thru the minds of people in Va. watching this asian going nuts on t.v. I thought just like way back in the 60's with JFK's murder they didn't release THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE they should have not aired this episode this week. Monday morning on the radio the hosts mentioned they were spooked with this episode.
Had the victims been all black you can bet Sharpton would be boycotting HBO as you read this.

Because the parents and victims of VT were definitely sitting down to watch an episode of the Sopranos less than a week after the shooting. Be reasonable. "Wow, this last week has been horrible. I've lost friends, had my life turned utterly upside down, and I've lost my bearing on what is stable and routine in the world... Thank god I have a nice, mellow, heart-warming episode of The Sopranos I can sit down to and relax." Utterly ridiculous.

So just like episodes of Friends from 1995 had shots of the WTC CGed out, you would prefer that all perturbed Asians be digitally romoved from film and television for the next year-and-half? Tell you what - I'm particularly unsettled that the Pound has now reached a market value twice that of the dollar. For the next two years I don't want to see any british money in film or tv. No, that's not sensitive enough. I don't want to see anything British anywhere in my life for the next two years. It'd be disrespectful.

Grow some balls people.

Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 04-23-07 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
The fact that Cho was asian has no bearing on the fact that he was a jackass idiot fuckhead.

Start making race "considerations' in the media like The Sopranos, and you incorrectly convert a jackass idiot fuckhead issue into a race issue.
Old 04-23-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
The fact that Cho was asian has no bearing on the fact that he was a jackass idiot fuckhead.

Start making race "considerations' in the media like The Sopranos, and you incorrectly convert a jackass idiot fuckhead issue into a race issue.

Well said. Seconded.

Doc
Old 04-23-07, 03:29 PM

The problem IMO if you want to call that is it stayed around longer than it should have. Originally, David Chase slated it for a 4 year run, and had most of the 4 years written already. Then because of the popularity of the show they extended it 2 more years. IMO season's 5 & 6 are filled with rushed storyline's and quite frankly alot of boring episode's....and i am not one that needs to see a murder and lots of violence in every episode. The Sopranos is my favorite show of all time but IMO, it stayed around a bit too long and became a victim of its own success.
Old 04-23-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chaz k
Ive been a loyal watcher for six seasons, i have to say that was by far the worst eposode ever IMO....The whole thing just felt like "filler". Who care's about junior's wannabe sidekick...
seems liek the whole last season has been filler.
Old 04-23-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Since when did Paulie become such a blabbermouth. After 6 seasons seems like the writers decided to make him talk so much just to give Tony a reason to think about killing him. He was never like that before.
and reminiscing about how funny ralphie was? The last time we saw Paulie in regard to Ralphie he was ready to whack Ralphie for crank calling his mom in the retirement home..

Last edited by Deke Rivers; 04-23-07 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The problem IMO if you want to call that is it stayed around longer than it should have. Originally, David Chase slated it for a 4 year run, and had most of the 4 years written already. Then because of the popularity of the show they extended it 2 more years. IMO season's 5 & 6 are filled with rushed storyline's and quite frankly alot of boring episode's....and i am not one that needs to see a murder and lots of violence in every episode. The Sopranos is my favorite show of all time but IMO, it stayed around a bit too long and became a victim of its own success.
ditto....
it all feels forced now ..
Old 04-23-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
IMO season's 5 & 6 are filled with rushed storyline's and quite frankly alot of boring episode's.
Actually, I think they're filled with more "character" episodes - Chase knew he had a few more seasons, so he took time to explore characters in-depth that he might not otherwise had - like Vito and Johnny Sack. Even this season seems to be doing that to some degree - two weeks ago with Bobby Bacula and last night with Junior and Paulie...it's like now all the major characters are getting their "farewell" show before the finale.
Old 04-23-07, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
BTW...the timing of the episode with the rage filled asian guy was...

...unfortunate
I was thinking the same exact thing as I was watching it. In the beginning I was only thinking about the VA Tech shooter.

Chris
Old 04-23-07, 07:45 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Anyway...

I was a little bored with the Uncle Junior storyline but felt it was necessary to (hopefully) wrap that up, show his decline from a tougher older guy ("Next time you come to see me you come heavy or don't come at all") in Season One to a very old, very senile guy who winds up in an institution writing letters to Dick Cheney.

I don't get Tony hating Paulie, who was with his dad and with him from the beginning, and because of that Paulie couldn't be wired up for the feds, could he?
Old 04-23-07, 07:47 PM

i seriously cant believe you people are comparing this to vtech. so asians cant be violent now because of vtech? the fucking guy isnt even korean.
Old 04-23-07, 08:36 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw guns in this episode. The guns reminded me of Va Tech. Shame on you HBO for not altering them to walkie talkies, or pulling the episode altogether.
Old 04-23-07, 09:34 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Originally Posted by JimmySRU
Jen Araki my favorite soprano girl ever where she been my life
we need some hd screenshots of certain bed scenes please
Old 04-23-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by peon73
that asian kid looked familiar. so i looked around and found out he was one of magneto's new henchmen in x3.
I thought the same thing while watching. Thanks for posting that
Old 04-24-07, 12:19 AM
Banned

Yes, HBO should have held off for a week.
But here' another example I worked for the city newspaper once and if there was an airplane crash that killed many people we would stop the presses and remove all airline ads from the newspaper.
Old 04-24-07, 12:51 AM

To me they look different, and saying they looks alike is a little absurd......We are taking things WAY overboard if we feel that the Sopranos should have help off a week because they had an Asian actor go crazy for like 10 sec of a 50 min show........There was no link to the 2 at all besides their ethnicity and even then the 2 incidents were way to far off to make any connection at all.

Last edited by Ph8te; 04-24-07 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-24-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Just caught my DVR last night. Great ep. IMO, and I too agree that Uncle Junior's story has reached its end. I am guessing he lost his power as acting boss a while back, and is now considered unimportant in the whole grand scheme of things to the families.
Old 04-24-07, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I saw guns in this episode. The guns reminded me of Va Tech. Shame on you HBO for not altering them to walkie talkies, or pulling the episode altogether.
The episode also had people... of DIFFERENT ETHNICITIES!!!! Doesn't HBO know that people were involved in Va. Tech?!?!? And that they had ethnic backgrounds too? I think they should've ended programming altogether, and instead showed Woody Woodpecker cartoons all night with a disclaimer apologizing for Woody's irreverence in such a time of mourning.

Originally Posted by kinetic
i seriously cant believe you people are comparing this to vtech. so asians cant be violent now because of vtech? the fucking guy isnt even korean.
Honestly, it's a HUGE jump from one lunatic punching another who happens to be an organized crime figure, to a "jackass idiot fuckhead" murdering 30 + innocent people.

Incidentally, when do you guys think it will be ok to start airing Jackie Chan movies again?
Old 04-24-07, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Since when did Paulie become such a blabbermouth. After 6 seasons seems like the writers decided to make him talk so much just to give Tony a reason to think about killing him. He was never like that before.
Paulie always had a big mouth but it was from one gangster to another. Paulie never spoke much to civilians in the 1st place, let alone blabbing his life story to a random guy on line at a buffet or to girls to show off. He doesn't get laid at all and never seemed to care to. Now all of a sudden he's trying to make as many civilian friends as he can? Silly plot line.
Old 04-24-07, 10:26 AM

i thought the VTech was a first generation Chinese immigrant who shot 30 + people

i thought this Sopranos episode was a 1st generation Korean-American who beat up an old guy?

PC people sound the most racist to me every time I see them dancing around these subjects.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.