Friday Night Lights *Season Finale* - "State" - 4/11/07

Old 04-11-07, 08:06 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, uhhhhh...is ANYBODY a senior?
Old 04-11-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess no one are seniors. They are going to be next year's Florida!

I wasn't expecting the win. Even when Crash got in, I was waiting for a late flag on the play.

There is no way that Street can be the coach next year. Quarterback coach? Fine. Head coach? No way. Mack for one is more deserving, aside from his comments a while back. If Street becomes head coach, the show would have definitely jumped the shark.

My favorite scene was when Mrs Coach told Coach that she was pregnant. She had no idea what his reaction was going to be, and the scene played out great. Glad that he is still going to be QB coach at TMU.
Old 04-11-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
So, uhhhhh...is ANYBODY a senior?
Maybe Riggins redshirted.

at Landry.

Well, I was definitely surprised that they won the game. I figured it would be easier to set up Coach's return with a loss.
Old 04-11-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
F U Voodoo!

Soo glad Dillon ended up winning. I was ready for them to loose, but then I was cheering them in all the way. (Please don't be 1 yard short! Please don't be 1 yard short!)
Old 04-11-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
I'm glad Dillon ended up winning but it seems they took the easy way out in doing so. I guess they decided to do a bait and switch assuming many viewers have read the book or seen the movie and were expecting a one-yard-short scenario (which is also why I assume the final play was slow-mo at about the 5 yard line).

Either way as long as FNL is back for another season I have no doubt that Coack Taylor will be back as well. At least I hope they don't pull some sort of long distance relationship crap with Coach popping in on the team for words of inspiration every few weeks or so.
Old 04-11-07, 10:31 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Riggins, Street, and Tyra were all seniors, right? Any others? Texas has some hella-talented juniors. How old is Serason supposed to be?
Old 04-11-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saracen is a sophomore, I believe.

Question for those who have read the book and/or seen the movie....

I know that Boobie Miles had a real small role in the movie as an assistant coach. I have noticed tonight and a few other times that one of Dillon's assistant coaches looks a lot like him. Does anyone know if it's him?
Old 04-11-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that was excellent. Come on Kevin Reilly! Renew this bitch!
Old 04-12-07, 01:30 AM

I guess having them win makes sense if this is gonna be a series finale(please God let that not be the case). That parade at the end served as a fitting sendoff, while at the same time it was a reminder that there are a lot of character threads left hanging.
Old 04-12-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I loved some of the response shots from Lyla and Tyra during the parade. And we got to see more of those overweight idiots that we threatening and harrassing Taylor early in the season proudly show their championship rings from decades ago on the side of the street.

Dillon radio jumped on Coach pretty quick after winning State, but that was to be expected.

I think that Matt was mostly upset at Coach leaving because it was the loss of a father figure for him, not only because he won't see Julie as much.
Old 04-12-07, 06:53 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
I guess having them win makes sense if this is gonna be a series finale(please God let that not be the case). That parade at the end served as a fitting sendoff, while at the same time it was a reminder that there are a lot of character threads left hanging.
That's what I figured too. If it doesn't come back, then it's wrapped up fairly nicely. If it does, they have plenty of storylines to explore.
Old 04-12-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Great end to a great season. Now bring on a renewal and a dvd set already!
Or at least a Riggins spin-off.
Old 04-12-07, 08:50 AM

while I understand that the final 15-20 minutes were about the victory and coach leaving, I couldn't help but think, "What happened to Landry"? it seems like they just used him as a foil to get Tyra and Lyla to bury the hatchet and thgen forgot he was even at the game (save for the brief scene w/ him, Tyra, and her mom in teh nosebleeds).

great finale, though. if they don't bring this back for at least one more season, i'll be surprised. and if they don't bring it back, the cast of this show is going to be popping up EVERYWHERE on every show you can imagine. mark my words.
Old 04-12-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Tyra really pulled a bait and switch on Landry.

I guess those two extra tickets were burning a hole in her pocket and forced her to abandon the make nice scenario with Landry, and ask her Mom and Sis. Although funny, it felt wrong. I do think they worked that in after to work out the Tyra and Lyla issues.

Although not a great season finale, it was appropriate for those of us who put the time in, they gave us a satisfying potential series finale. And there's a lot to work with for next season.

No Way Street coaches this team next year, no way!
The guy gets his GED then coaches the Texas High School champions next season. Come on, even 24 wouldn't try that one.
Old 04-12-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think Tyra intended on the bait-n-switch because she was counting on Riggins to give her the two 50-yard-line tickets, but he gave them to the kid and MILF, and saddled Tyra with the 4 crappy nosebleed seats, and then she offered the extra 2 to her mom and sister, and Landry just had to roll with the punches. It was funny to see Landry with his hopes up on the trip, and then Tyra just skewered Landry's balloon with the news of the mom and sister riding to Dallas with him and Tyra.

The best line was Saracen's grandma asking Tyra if she brought the booze when Landry offered her a ride to Dallas. It's such a quick little line, but spoke volumes of the small town-ness of everybody knowing everybody's business.
Old 04-12-07, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
No Way Street coaches this team next year, no way!
The guy gets his GED then coaches the Texas High School champions next season. Come on, even 24 wouldn't try that one.
You mean like Kim Bauer working at CTU or Wayne Palmer becoming President?

Don't worry. Street won't be coaching the team. I could see Mac getting the job though.
Old 04-12-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Landry: "Hey, Mindy. How's the stripping going?"

What a great show. PLEASE bring it back...
Old 04-12-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Although not a great season finale, it was appropriate for those of us who put the time in, they gave us a satisfying potential series finale. And there's a lot to work with for next season.
What is your idea of a GREAT season finale, because for my money, that was one of the best hours of TV I think I have ever seen - bar none. They did leave a lot of stuff unresolved for next year, but the stuff they did give us was perfect and a really fitting end to an impressive debut season. I laughed, I cheered and I'm not going to lie, I fucking cried...they even gave Buddy Garrity a great scene with the Coach that made me forget what a douche bag he usually is.

If NBC doesn't renew this, I'll be pissed off to no end.

MATT
Old 04-12-07, 07:02 PM

i will go on a hunger strike if they don't renew this show!
Old 04-13-07, 08:39 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jpoppe
while I understand that the final 15-20 minutes were about the victory and coach leaving, I couldn't help but think, "What happened to Landry"? it seems like they just used him as a foil to get Tyra and Lyla to bury the hatchet and thgen forgot he was even at the game (save for the brief scene w/ him, Tyra, and her mom in teh nosebleeds).
No kidding, that was my biggest issue with the episode. Lyla breaks down in her newly purchased used car, and ends up riding with Landry/Tyra/etc to the game. In the hotel after the game, Lyla asks Tyra if she wants to ride back with her.

Umm.. Did Lyla buy another car in Dallas or something?
Old 04-13-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was hoping Lyla and Riggins were seniors so they could get those 2 horrible actors off the show. They kind of bring it down.
Old 04-13-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I was hoping Lyla and Riggins were seniors so they could get those 2 horrible actors off the show. They kind of bring it down.
Riggins has really come into his own the last 5-6 episodes or so. I used to hate the kid, and I don't know where things began to change, but now he is one of my favorites.
Old 04-13-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Riggins has really turned into a highlight of the show, he steals a lot of scenes and his storyline with hot mommy is really good.... and Lyla is just about the hottest chick on television, so I wouldn't kick either of them off.
Old 04-13-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Well, pretty good season finale. I have to admit, though, it was hard for me to tell. For some reason, my NBC HD channel that I recorded from had a constant high-pitched ring through the entire show. It gave me a splitting headache so I know I wasn't able to enjoy this episode as much as I usually would.

As for next season, they had a little write-up about the show in Sports Illustrated recently. It said that all of the actors were brought on with the understanding that they were probably only looking at 2- or 3-year commitment, no more than that. And that future seasons would bring more new characters and that those new characters might dominate for a while with our old favorites perhaps not seeing as much screen time. Plus, it said they were envisioning a second season following two teams. The article said it might be a rival team or Saracen might transfer or something, but that was written before the finale. So, I guess it looks more like it will be following the Panthers and Coach Taylor's new team.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a second season.
Old 04-13-07, 07:38 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I didnt understand how Saracen would let his grandma travel by bus given her medical problems ! The look on Landry's face in the car was priceless when the mother was eating the chocolates and talking about tampax

Ive been thinking about what sets this show apart from other teen dramas. It's shot and scripted in such a natural way. There's no cliches, no over the top unwarranted emotional reactions, no overacting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.