Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Twenty Four (24) -- "Day 6: 9:00PM - 10:00PM" -- 04/02/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twenty Four (24) -- "Day 6: 9:00PM - 10:00PM" -- 04/02/07

Old 04-04-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Kind of funny how the fans are all desperately searching for something positive about this season, so we're all latching onto Tom Lennox.

As for the President's "adrenaline rush," I'm not trying to defend that piece of sloppy writing. But to be fair, I think the implication is that his increased blood pressure caused some kind of brain damage. Hence, he is now launching nukes at "Fayed's country."
Old 04-04-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else think of Buster Bluth when Gredenko was wandering around the beach with a missing appendage? Maybe they should be on the lookout for a loose seal.
Old 04-04-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
Anyone else think of Buster Bluth when Gredenko was wandering around the beach with a missing appendage? Maybe they should be on the lookout for a loose seal.
"And THAT'S why you don't use a one-armed man to teach a someone a lesson!"

Doc
Old 04-04-07, 11:26 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Haven't totally given up on the show but have relegated it to a small window while browsing, instead of maximized view that has my full attention.

One thing I really can't take anymore -- WTF is up Palmer's hushed, kinda whispery, tone of voice even when he's having a normal conversation? It's more pronounced when he gets angry and tries to "assert his authority"
Old 04-04-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
Kind of funny how the fans are all desperately searching for something positive about this season, so we're all latching onto Tom Lennox.
The stuff with President Logan was by far the high point of the season...too bad it only lasted two freakin' episodes.
Old 04-04-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Now that I have the room on my DVR, I'm going to stop watching this every Monday.

This is not appointment TV anymore. I'll queue up the remaining episodes and finish them off in May, with a generous amount of fast-forwarding I imagine.
Old 04-04-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver

Doc
I was expecting more along the lines of "and that's why you don't cut off your own arm in a half-assed escape attempt" ... but that'll do.
Old 04-04-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
Old 04-04-07, 03:24 PM

No one has mentioned the dialogue between Nadia and Doyle over religion:

"You've read the Koran?"
"Yeah, and the Bible, and the Upanishads - you've found (your truth?), I'm still looking for mine"
That scene had me chuckling. They're really crafting a complex, dark yet noble character there.
Old 04-04-07, 03:58 PM

It's a trick! Those clever writers just want us to think the adrenaline rush caused the launch. But the preview actually hinted at a semi-logical explanation for the nuke launch:

Spoiler:
It's a bluff; a high-stakes game of chicken. (I'm assuming the missile can be deactivated or rerouted anytime.) They showed Palmer on the line with the ambassador of Fayedistan demanding something or other and "you've got two minutes before the nuke hits". Or something like that.

To me this seems more in line with the kind of riveting high-suspense storylines these guys are able to come up with. Good ol' Palmer has a secret plan to ratchet up the pressure, but can't let anyone in on it because he needs everyone to think he's crazy enough to do it, then the big reveal comes and we in the audience are dutifully beside ourselves in amazement and relief.
Old 04-04-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"And THAT'S why you don't use a nuclear weapon to teach an anonymous Middle Eastern country a lesson!"
Old 04-04-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by lucasorion

"You've read the Koran?"
"Yeah, and the Bible, and the Upanishads - you've found (your truth?), I'm still looking for mine"
That scene had me chuckling. They're really crafting a complex, dark yet noble character there.
I also liked:
Bill: Jack Bauer will be interrogating Fayid about the remaining two nukes."
Prez: But there's no way of knowing if that will be productive or how long it will take?
Bill: No, sir.

Or, Bill: Actually there is, sir. We've got this amazing new technology that will indeed let us predict precisely whether interrogation will be productive and, if so, how long it will take right down to the nanosecond. Would you like me to run in through the machine now?"

Old 04-04-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by uteotw
I also liked:
Bill: Jack Bauer will be interrogating Fayid about the remaining two nukes."
Prez: But there's no way of knowing if that will be productive or how long it will take?
Bill: No, sir.

Or, Bill: Actually there is, sir. We've got this amazing new technology that will indeed let us predict precisely whether interrogation will be productive and, if so, how long it will take right down to the nanosecond. Would you like me to run in through the machine now?"

Yep, a lot of pointless lines. But they were in all the other seasons as well.
Old 04-04-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to laugh when the season finale comes along and it turns out that "Fayed's Country" turns out to be Canada.
Old 04-04-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
I'm going to laugh when the season finale comes along and it turns out that "Fayed's Country" turns out to be Canada.
Pffft. The only thing Canada needs to defeat the USA is a bunch of shaved beavers.
Old 04-04-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HN
One thing I really can't take anymore -- WTF is up Palmer's hushed, kinda whispery, tone of voice even when he's having a normal conversation? It's more pronounced when he gets angry and tries to "assert his authority"
I said the exact same thing, so I know exactly where you're coming from. The South Park about 24 the other day did a good mockery of this, but I think they were referring to Jack's voice.
Old 04-04-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by lucasorion

"You've read the Koran?"
Not to mention that I preferred it when Doyle was a sadistic psycho. My one glimmer of hope remaining for this season was anticipating a confrontation between him and Bauer. Instead, it looks like the writers are grooming Doyle's character to eventually replace Bauer.
Old 04-05-07, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
How does Doyle rate the "upstairs" office so fast??

Jack needs to get to Denny's and pick up Behrooz, and his dad.
Old 04-05-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by metaridley
I've been watching 24 since the pilot, blah, blah, blah, one of its biggest fans, blah, blah, blah, worship Jack Bauer as my religion, etc...

...but even I can't defend this show anymore.
I'm with you. I watched last night and realized around the 30 minute mark that I was completely void inside. I was just watching an image on a screen. No real purpose to it, it was just there.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Tom Lennox's character is massively surprising to me... he's been the anti-cliche for this season. Virtually every time I've expected him to do something (such as get caught up in the assassination plot, or bungle his way into taking the blame for it), he's managed to avoid the stupid result.
I agree. Tom has actually surprised me. He has actually been a highlight of the season. Not only has he been pretty intelligent, every twist they throw at us with his character leads to me guessing the exact opposite outcome. Which is hard to do anymore with 24. I hope he stays around.

Originally Posted by brainee
Best line of the night ...

VP: Tom, I thought you were on my side?
Lennox: I'm on the side of the United States of America.
I did love that. Along with the bar patron complaining about his buddy and Jack kicking Fayid.

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I bought Ricky Stratton as a cop on NYPD Blue, but I just don't buy him as a threatening counter-terrorism agent on 24.
I don't think he has had enough screen time tough. You are comparing 3 years of work against probably an hour of screen time total on 24.

Originally Posted by philo
I'm still holding out hope that in the last episode we'll discover Jack is still in China and this whole season was one giant hallucination brought on by months of torture and isolation.
You know that would be totally cliche but at this point, I'll take it. Seriously. Write this season off as a bad dream.