Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Season 3 (BBC) General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I don't know why there's spoilerizing of what has already happened, since we haven't been doing so. Therefore....
Just giving people an extra day or two since this seems to be such a big reveal, is all. I know I don't watch the eps right away.

While I do like your idea, but you're right Blink was too strong to not want that ep. But I wonder just how much of the Doctor we're going to see next week. I can imagine a lot of cutting back and forth, but the Master has to get at least half the air time if not more, no?

I can't wait for next weeks confidential, so they can explain to us newbies just why the Master is such big shit.
Old 06-19-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boredsilly
I can't wait for next weeks confidential, so they can explain to us newbies just why the Master is such big shit.
Do you have Netflix? Check out the new boxset that just got released:

Dr Who: Keeper of Traken
Dr Who: Logopolis
Dr Who: Castrovalva

Edit: Oh, and add "The Five Doctors" in there for good measure.

Anybody have a good 3rd Doctor Master suggestion that's available on DVD?

Last edited by Chew; 06-19-07 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-19-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by benedict
Spoiler:
By mending Jack's wrist device?
Yeah, that's why I was hoping for a tie-in with "Blink" thinking the unpredictability of that option would result in an 'overshoot'.
Old 06-19-07, 01:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The Master was introduced during the reign of the Third Doctor in the early 1970's as a Moriarty-style arch-nemesis for the Doctor. As a fellow Time Lord (and former classmate to the Doctor) he provided a real challenge.

However, he was overused for a time, and practically became a regular on the show. Sadly, the actor playing the Master (Roger Delgado) was killed in a car accident and the character was retired for a few years.

When the Master returned, he was badly disfigured and on his last regeneration (Time Lords only have 13). Eventually he found a way to implant himself in a "host" allowing the character to be played by Anthony Ainley, and later, Eric Roberts (!).

Prior to the new series, the Master was last seen plummetting into the heart of the Doctor's TARDIS.

Side note: the voices of both Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley can be heard in Professor Yana's head during Utopia.
Old 06-19-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Since Martha recognizes his voice, and Vote Saxon has been going on all season--including involvement with her Mom--I guess it's safe to assume he travels back not to the story's present but say a year or two earlier?
Old 06-19-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, an honest opinion from long time fans.

Do the Tom Baker Who years hold up? In the confidentials I've seen his Doctor in, there is something about him (goofy charisma, maybe?) that makes me want to check out some of his eps. While I know the SFX will be cheesy, do the episodes themselves hold up, like say classic Twilight Zone or classic Trek does (trek being cheesy, but not painful to watch).

So many people refer to him as "the definitive Doctor" that I'm curious to see what the fuss is about.
Old 06-19-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as you know the 4th Doctor was during the 70's and 80's and remember the low-budget nature of everything, I think you've already accepted the worst aspects of watching them.

I think Tom Baker made even some of the more boring stories interesting just by being in them.
Old 06-19-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do the Tom Baker Who years hold up? [...]
So many people refer to him as "the definitive Doctor" that I'm curious to see what the fuss is about.
He's by far the most popular old-school Doctor in America, perhaps both because of his genial goofiness and because so many syndication packages featured his era. In Britain, they say your first Doctor is always your "true" Doctor.

Not sure how to answer you... I love them and think they hold up terrifically, but they're at least as cheesy as classic Trek and moreso, being mostly studio-bound videotape productions which occasionally open up to filmed longshots and establishing shots... Very very 70s BBC.
Old 06-19-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBC (in Canada) just started showing season three last night. Not sure if it's been answered somewhere before, but what happened with the woman that appeared inside the Tardis with the Doctor at the end of the season two finale? Based on that little teaser I would have thought that she would have been the Doctor's new companion for the third season, but no.
Old 06-19-07, 02:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Did CBC skip "The Runaway Bride"? That explains everything.
Old 06-19-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking at Netflix, I'm going to give "The City of Death" a go, since the description says it's considered one of the best episodes.
Old 06-19-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Did CBC skip "The Runaway Bride"? That explains everything.
I believe so. After season two ended I never heard any advertisement about them showing "The Runaway Bride". Then yesterday they began showing new episodes again and started with "Smith and Jones".

Is it just me, or is the episode title "Smith and Jones" supposed to be some sort of reference to Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones in MIB?
Old 06-19-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that's a stretch, but who knows. I thought of "Alias Smith & Jones", a fun, short-lived comedy western TV series from the mid 70s. That's probably a stretch too, though to the extent it's a common phrase it probably comes from that first series.
Old 06-20-07, 11:53 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Yavin
Is it just me, or is the episode title "Smith and Jones" supposed to be some sort of reference to Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones in MIB?
I very much doubt it.
Originally Posted by adamblast
I think that's a stretch, but who knows. I thought of "Alias Smith & Jones", a fun, short-lived comedy western TV series from the mid 70s. That's probably a stretch too, though to the extent it's a common phrase it probably comes from that first series.
I would have said it was from the cowboy show.

Last edited by benedict; 06-20-07 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-20-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
I believe so. After season two ended I never heard any advertisement about them showing "The Runaway Bride". Then yesterday they began showing new episodes again and started with "Smith and Jones".

They played "The Runaway Bride" on the same night as "Smith and Jones" a couple of hours after. I was surprised too.
Old 06-20-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Yes. He and Martha were tagged by one of the Weeping Angels, the same one that tagged Billy.
One thing that wasn't explained in "Blink" was how the Doctor and Martha managed to both be sent back to 1969 together, given that each person sent back were going to different times. (I guess the best answer is the Doctor and Martha were holding hands or something at the time a Weeping Angel touched them.)
Old 06-20-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, an honest opinion from long time fans.

Do the Tom Baker Who years hold up? In the confidentials I've seen his Doctor in, there is something about him (goofy charisma, maybe?) that makes me want to check out some of his eps. While I know the SFX will be cheesy, do the episodes themselves hold up, like say classic Twilight Zone or classic Trek does (trek being cheesy, but not painful to watch).

He's the first one that comes to mind when I think of The Doctor. And although I think the actors before him were also good, I didn't care at all for the ones that followed Tom Baker. (Not counting the relaunched show, that is, because I think both Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant are great Doctors!)
Old 06-20-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
One thing that wasn't explained in "Blink" was how the Doctor and Martha managed to both be sent back to 1969 together, given that each person sent back were going to different times. (I guess the best answer is the Doctor and Martha were holding hands or something at the time a Weeping Angel touched them.)
I believe they mentioned that when/where you were sent to had to do with which Angel looked at you. So if you were looked at by the same Angel, you'd go to the same place.
Old 06-21-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Anybody have a good 3rd Doctor Master suggestion that's available on DVD?
The only Delgado ep that's been released is The Claws of Axos. It's enjoyably silly and psychadelic.
Old 06-21-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking at Netflix, I'm going to give "The City of Death" a go, since the description says it's considered one of the best episodes.
You can't lose with this episode (it's written by Douglas Adams BTW). The only problem is, you may have set the bar too high for further Tom Baker stories.

I'd also recommend Talons of Weng-Chiang, Horror of Fang Rock, and Pyramids of Mars. All on DVD, all are classics.
Old 06-21-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by benedict
I very much doubt it.I would have said it was from the cowboy show.

That's what I thought of when I heard that title. I remember that show.
Old 06-21-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
I believe they mentioned that when/where you were sent to had to do with which Angel looked at you. So if you were looked at by the same Angel, you'd go to the same place.
I thought it was a Weeping Angel had to touch you (?)
Old 06-22-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Meglos
You can't lose with this episode (it's written by Douglas Adams BTW). The only problem is, you may have set the bar too high for further Tom Baker stories.

I'd also recommend Talons of Weng-Chiang, Horror of Fang Rock, and Pyramids of Mars. All on DVD, all are classics.
Yeah, 'City' isn't bad. A bit silly for my taste, but that was Adams for you. I'll second the above suggestions, and also recomend Robots of Death, and if you've got the extra funds, the 'New Beginnings' 3 disk box. Where you get Bakers last two shows, plus the return of the Master and Peter Davisons first episode.

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Yes, when the police dude got zapped back the Doctor mentioned that he'd been nailed by the same one who got them.
Old 06-24-07, 04:55 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Damm what an awesome episode ! I could watch a whole series of the Master v the Doctor (this Master anyway).
Old 06-24-07, 11:34 AM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Yeah it was great. This show is just phenominal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.