Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Top 10 "Tonight's Theme: Pop Songs" -- 03/27/07 and 03/28/07

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which contestant will get the least amount of votes?
Haley Scarnato
20.20%
Gina Glocksen
4.04%
Jordin Sparks
3.03%
Sanjaya Malakar
23.23%
Phil Stacey
11.11%
Chris Sligh
28.28%
Chris Richardson
10.10%
Blake Lewis
0%
Lakisha Jones
0%
Melinda Doolittle
0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol -- Top 10 "Tonight's Theme: Pop Songs" -- 03/27/07 and 03/28/07

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Quake1028
You won this time, Dr. Jones . (BTW, I bet you couldn't wait to race here and post that, eh ?)
I'm not gonna lie dude. I RAN to the computer
Old 03-28-07, 10:16 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, I think I'm on the Sanjaya bandwagon. If he wins this thing, the show loses tons of credibility. People would still watch it as a joke, but it's life might be much shorter, and it might not kill other shows like it has been.
Old 03-28-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had heard that Sanjaya's number was busy all the time, so I called it 15 or 20 times. Never had a busy signal.

I also gave Haley 50 votes though her days (weeks) are numbered.

Speaking of Sanjaya, you know who he reminds me of? (this is where you say "no, who?") Mr. Garrison on South Park, in the episode where the boys get in trouble for telling their parents that he is doing weird homosexual things. The episode that introduced Lemiwinks the gerbil, where Mr. Garrison kept on doing more and more outrageous things trying to get fired, but each week people kept on flocking to him more and more (he was trying to get fired so that he could sue the school).

And true, he can't sing very well but who is everybody talking about? He's doing things right I think he'll last longer than Latisha.

edited to correct Garrison's name, thanks sexualpudding!

Last edited by Heat; 03-28-07 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-28-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Garrison, you mean?

Oh, and Gwen Stefani's music really, really sucks.

Last edited by SexualPudding; 03-28-07 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-28-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
Yep, I think I'm on the Sanjaya bandwagon. If he wins this thing, the show loses tons of credibility. People would still watch it as a joke, but it's life might be much shorter, and it might not kill other shows like it has been.
Thats an interesting way to look at it. If that were to happen AI would loose some credibility and won't go on forever and ever like everyone thinks.
Old 03-28-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Nah, there's an obvious fix for this "problem" they're having with Sanjaya. Just switch it to who you want gone, not who you want to stay. They'll change it next season and we'll still be subjected to this garbage.

As for Gwen, they should have just made her a judge and had her look like she did last night.
Old 03-28-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Btw, how long before "the fix is in" and Sanjaya is ousted by the producers? Or do you think they'll ride this wave of publicity for as long as it goes?
Old 03-28-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeboo835
Btw, how long before "the fix is in" and Sanjaya is ousted by the producers? Or do you think they'll ride this wave of publicity for as long as it goes?
Sanjaya's getting this show massive buzz. The producers don't mind him sticking around a bit longer.

Tony Bennett week, eh? Not very familiar with his catalog, outside of "Left My Heart in SF". Doesn't sound terribly exciting - but I guess AI has a "standards" night every season, right? So much for wanting the contestents to sound contemporary.
Old 03-28-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nah, there's an obvious fix for this "problem" they're having with Sanjaya. Just switch it to who you want gone, not who you want to stay. They'll change it next season and we'll still be subjected to this garbage.
I've never understood why people think that changing the voting to be who you want kicked off makes any difference -- changing it to X calls per phone number would change the voting.

Ryan said something tonight (I think it was reagarding the Idol Challenge) about being able to only play or call in up to ten times, so they obviously have the technology in place to limit the number of calls. If this show were ACTUALLY a singing competition and not a reality show/popularity contest, they might change the voting system. As it is now, the producers don't give a damn about anyone's singing career; they're all about the ratings and the income and the publicity of the "scandals" of the show. It might have started out as being about creating an "American Idol", but it's surely not that now.

With that said, I think you all need to hunker down and get ready to spend many, many weeks with Sanjaya because he's not leaving anytime soon.
Old 03-28-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

By watching Sanjaya's expressions, I get the feeling he's in on the joke of why he's still around and knows he isn't going anywhere no matter how poorly he performs. Hell, even Simon isn't bothering to comment on his performances anymore because it's pointless.

I think Tony Bennett week will actually help him and maybe he'll do so well that the disdain will be gone and voting might slip.

I hope.
Old 03-28-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sanjaya could probably just rap a song and still garner enough vote to stick around for another week.
Old 03-28-07, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

John stevens rode it till the 6th spot.

Hell Nikki mckibben beat out Tamyra Gray. If the fix was in, it has never shown.
Old 03-28-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Thats an interesting way to look at it. If that were to happen AI would loose some credibility and won't go on forever and ever like everyone thinks.

That is not going to happen. Whats happening now is that people who are still not very good..are being vote off. Once the favorites start getting endangered, any fans of the folks who got voted off before, will start voting for the favorites. IE jordan/melinda/blake etc.
Old 03-29-07, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Were they using some kind of filter when they were showing the parts where Gwen was talking? It was like they smeared vasoline on the lens when they showed her.
I thought the same thing, no facial detail. looked kinda like that movie ultraviolet.
Old 03-29-07, 12:12 AM

What's Tony Bennett going to say to this pack of losers...

"You remind me of a young Diana Ross--well good luck to you Sanjaya."
Old 03-29-07, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not even in the bottom 3. You go, Sanjaya. You have to give the guy props for being a good sport when he can laugh at Ryan wearing the hairpiece.
Old 03-29-07, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by zebop
What's Tony Bennett going to say to this pack of losers...
"You kids are great! Just great."
Old 03-29-07, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by William Fuld
"You kids are great! Just great."
Really, really, really great!
Old 03-29-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Chris was my early favorite, but he sucked nearly every week since they got to the top 12 so I (as well as others) got over it. He was classy and funny with his exit though. If he had shown that aspect of his personality more in recent weeks, maybe he wouldn't have lost support.

I thought Sanjaya should've gone ages ago, but his last 2 performances have been so funny I am kind of glad he is sticking around for now. Almost no one on the show is as good as he is bad, so we need him for the guffaws.

I really liked Gwen this week, and I enjoyed the guests last week too. I kind of wish we could keep them around. Good American Idol "mentors" are hard to come by.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-29-07 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-29-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Chris S. is gone which is good... I like others, had him pegged as an early fav but man did he tank fast. Anyways, I think the Snajaya schtick will start to get old and he'll be gone in the next few weeks. I mean it was funny the last couple of weeks, but it will get stale rather quickly, and its not like the next few people who get booted besides him are all that great anyways.
Old 03-29-07, 08:59 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Sanjaya has a chance of winning this. I think the actual Idol fans overall still outnumber the anti-Idol people (meaning all people who are deliberately voting for the worst for whatever reason, be it to destroy Idol, get comic value oout of Sanjaya, etc.) So say there are 30 million 'legitimate' votes and 10 million 'anti votes', for weeks the 30 million will be split among, say, 10 contestants. So the 10 million anti votes will crush that. But as the number of contestants gets smaller, eventually you'll get a point where the 30 million will overwhelm the 10 million.

Now, these are numbers I just made up. But the concept is still valid. If there were really THAT many more Idol haters (and I'm talking about people who *actively* dislike it, not people who are simply indifferent to it altogether) then the whole thing could be sabotaged and we would be seeing a Sanjaya/Antonella/Sundance final three.
Old 03-29-07, 09:00 AM

Well, Tony Bennett has covered songs by Dinah Washington, Lena Horne, Ella Fitzgerald, and he did a whole album of Billie Holiday songs, so Melinda and Lakisha should be OK for another week.
Old 03-29-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Not to mention didn't he beat out Sundance to get in the finals? Sundance sits at home with great hatred for Sanjaya, I am sure.
Sundance can blame anyone he wants for his failure on the show, but Sanjaya is not the cause of his early boot -- it was his own crappy singing that did him in. He has no one at all to blame but himself.
Old 03-29-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SMB-IL
I've never understood why people think that changing the voting to be who you want kicked off makes any difference -- changing it to X calls per phone number would change the voting.
Changing it to that method would make a huge difference. Right now, the people who care about the show are busy voting for their favorites, leaving all of the people who are voting because they hate the show free reign to vote for Sanjaya. If this was the Idol voting method he wouldn't have made it much past the top 24.
Old 03-29-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Still pissed about Sangina, but Chris Sligh was no surprise. He literally has NO RHYTHM. Even when they showed him clapping along to Gwen Stefani, he was clapping OFF beat, which goes a long way to explain why he butchered songs by singing off tempo...good riddance.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.