Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Top 10 "Tonight's Theme: Pop Songs" -- 03/27/07 and 03/28/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which contestant will get the least amount of votes?
Haley Scarnato
20.20%
Gina Glocksen
4.04%
Jordin Sparks
3.03%
Sanjaya Malakar
23.23%
Phil Stacey
11.11%
Chris Sligh
28.28%
Chris Richardson
10.10%
Blake Lewis
0%
Lakisha Jones
0%
Melinda Doolittle
0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol -- Top 10 "Tonight's Theme: Pop Songs" -- 03/27/07 and 03/28/07

Old 03-29-07, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Changing it to that method would make a huge difference. Right now, the people who care about the show are busy voting for their favorites, leaving all of the people who are voting because they hate the show free reign to vote for Sanjaya. If this was the Idol voting method he wouldn't have made it much past the top 24.
Somebody pushes the "vote against" suggestion every year, and it's a terrible idea (no offense to you personally). It would create a horror show. Here's what would happen: instead of people voting for the worst singers they'd vote for whoever they perceive to be the biggest threat to who they support. In other words, you'd have fans of the mediocre and bad singers banding together to vote off the good singers. Which is exactly the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

(cut and pasted from the last time somebody suggested this)
Old 03-29-07, 10:03 AM

Sanjaya was created by Cylons.
He rebelled.
He evolved.
There are no copies.
And he has a plan.
Old 03-29-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Voting for people you want to leave would be very negative on the show. They TRY to keep things on a positive note, and having to tell someone that America actually WANTED you gone is pretty bad. It's easier for them to say, "sorry, you just didn't get enough votes, and you're going home".
Old 03-29-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MadMark
Well, Tony Bennett has covered songs by Dinah Washington, Lena Horne, Ella Fitzgerald, and he did a whole album of Billie Holiday songs, so Melinda and Lakisha should be OK for another week.
No kidding. When are the judges going to call them out for thir predictable song choices? No risk whatsoever.
Old 03-29-07, 11:10 AM

I don't see anybody in this bunch who's going to sell records. Chris Sligh will do okay in the Christian market, but that's about it.

So at this point, I'm 100% rooting for Haley. Might as well have something nice to look at as the competition moves forward.
Old 03-29-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Somebody pushes the "vote against" suggestion every year, and it's a terrible idea (no offense to you personally). It would create a horror show. Here's what would happen: instead of people voting for the worst singers they'd vote for whoever they perceive to be the biggest threat to who they support. In other words, you'd have fans of the mediocre and bad singers banding together to vote off the good singers. Which is exactly the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

(cut and pasted from the last time somebody suggested this)
I didn't say it would be a good change, I just said it would make a difference.
Old 03-29-07, 12:23 PM
Cool New Member

Anybody else just tired of seeing Melinda Doolittle? I want her off the show, because for some reason I can't identify, she bugs me.
Old 03-29-07, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rick1962
Anybody else just tired of seeing Melinda Doolittle? I want her off the show, because for some reason I can't identify, she bugs me.
I will identify it for you... every expression she makes is absolutely FAKE! She is like a robot trained to make certain expressions, but can't do so convincingly. I can't even properly explain this, just watch her. Everytime she's on camera, she'll do one of like three different faces (she only has three expressions). Awful...

Also, she looks like a little person that grew to full size, but retained the same proportions. She has no neck and a huge head.
Old 03-29-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rick1962
I kind of know what you're saying. She's by far the most professional of the contestants. There's nothing to criticize about her performances - for what she's trying to do, they're note perfect. She always picks songs that are perfectly in her comfort range. The judges say the exact same thing every week ("You're great! Best singer here!") and she always has the same response ("Gosh golly ... you really think I'm good?"). From an entertainment point of view, it's getting a bit monotonous. AI (as a ratings juggernaut) would be a bomb if everyone was like Melinda. It's more fun to see singers stretch themselves sometimes, risking the occasional failure.

Not to mention that she's a bit odd-looking, having no neck and all.
Old 03-29-07, 01:05 PM
Cool New Member

I can't stand her!!! After this week, she bugs me more than Mowgli.....
Old 03-29-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hopefully Tony Bennett comes down with a nasty virus next week and Alec Baldwin doing Tony Bennett will be the replacement!
Old 03-29-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This show is just too funny. They tell the contestants that they need to sound more contemporary, and now they are going to have a Tony Bennett week.
Old 03-29-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pankwindu
Your explanation why it is an act actually makes the case that it is genuine. If it were an act, and she really is confident and manipulative in real life, then she would already have made it beyond backup singer. But she hasn't.
Just because it is an act doesn't mean anyone is fooled by it or that she is some genius pulling everyones strings. If Ryan Seacrest can spot it as an act then how slick can she be?

To clarify - I think it is an act and a very poor one at that. Obviously there are reasons she hasn't "made it" yet. Being ingenuine could be a reason...so could having a very tired, although extremely polished, sound.
Old 03-29-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It boggles my mind why America keeps voting for that freak show that is Sanjaya.

I'm still rooting for Jordin, even though I didn't care for her Karaoke performance of "Hey Baby" and that outfit didn't do her any justice either. It made her look 20 pounds heavier.
Old 03-29-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Theoretically if they wanted Sanjaya off the show they can do it very easily (maybe not so ethically). Simply limit the number of phone lines available for his #.

For example, if all other contestants have 100 lines available and he has 10 then obviuosly his will ring busy more (falsely skewing dialidol to think he is safe in the process).

Remember, I didn't say it was ethical...just technically feasbile and seriously, how would the general public ever know?
Old 03-29-07, 02:39 PM

What did Ryan say to Melinda? Guess I missed that.
Old 03-29-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm summarizing the vibe and comments but he just commented about how surely she was getting used to the postive feedback and getting more comfortable and that it wasn't a surprise at this point.

She just gave him one of those "um, ok, sure" along with a look of feigned acknowledgement conveying that she didn't really agree and it was all so new and exciting.
Old 03-29-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if Chris S was even upset that he got the boot. Judging by his little Q and A the night before, he doesn't do well on little sleep and it was showing. Is it any surprise that a guy would end up getting that big when his idea of staying healthy means getting as much sleep as possible?
Old 03-29-07, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Just because it is an act doesn't mean anyone is fooled by it or that she is some genius pulling everyones strings. If Ryan Seacrest can spot it as an act then how slick can she be?

To clarify - I think it is an act and a very poor one at that. Obviously there are reasons she hasn't "made it" yet. Being ingenuine could be a reason...so could having a very tired, although extremely polished, sound.
Let's not beat around the bush.

1) She's unattractive. Yes, it's not a nice thing to say, but it's true.
2) Not only is she unattractive, but she is odd-looking. For the difference, see Lakisha. I don't think she is attractive at all, but she has a normal look about it. Melinda, however, does not. Again, see #1.
3) She has no personality besides playing the "wow, I'm really good? You like me?" angle.

As a record label, you're not going to make a financial commitment to someone who meets the criteria of 1-3, despite how great her voice sounds.
Old 03-29-07, 05:27 PM
Banned

I am going to go out on a limb, and say Sanjaya is going to make top 5. I would love to see this guy win, just to see Simons reaction when its read on TV. That would be priceless.
Old 03-29-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There seems to be strong opinions of Melinda. I can believe her surprised reactions to the praise. I just see her as being a bit humble. By now, she could be a diva bitch but doesn't appear to be one yet. And I wouldn't go so far as to say she's unattractive or even ugly, she's average looking. No one would mistake her for Beyonce but she's not a complete troll either.
Old 03-29-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think "troll" was an unfortunate choice of words, especially as she has been compared with Shrek in this thread....
Old 03-29-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boot
Sundance can blame anyone he wants for his failure on the show, but Sanjaya is not the cause of his early boot -- it was his own crappy singing that did him in. He has no one at all to blame but himself.
I doubt Sundance would have made it into the final 12, but his performance the night he was up against Sanjaya was better than Sanjaya's that night.

Of course, I do think the producers LOVE Sanjaya...it gets the show ratings and buzz in the press like never before. If he hangs on for a few more weeks, all the better for the show and the advertisers and comedians. It's a win-win, something Sundance never would have been able to bring to the show.
Old 03-29-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Have Lakisha or Melinda sung a single song recorded in the last 20 years?
Old 03-29-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I doubt Sundance would have made it into the final 12, but his performance the night he was up against Sanjaya was better than Sanjaya's that night.

Of course, I do think the producers LOVE Sanjaya...it gets the show ratings and buzz in the press like never before. If he hangs on for a few more weeks, all the better for the show and the advertisers and comedians. It's a win-win, something Sundance never would have been able to bring to the show.
Oh, don't get me wrong. Sundance is miles better than Sanjaya. I'm just saying that Sundance got the boot because he wasn't good enough, not because he was worse than Sanjaya.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.