Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Top 10 "Tonight's Theme: Pop Songs" -- 03/27/07 and 03/28/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which contestant will get the least amount of votes?
Haley Scarnato
20.20%
Gina Glocksen
4.04%
Jordin Sparks
3.03%
Sanjaya Malakar
23.23%
Phil Stacey
11.11%
Chris Sligh
28.28%
Chris Richardson
10.10%
Blake Lewis
0%
Lakisha Jones
0%
Melinda Doolittle
0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol -- Top 10 "Tonight's Theme: Pop Songs" -- 03/27/07 and 03/28/07

Old 03-28-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Gone.

I hope SNL and NBC go down the tubes!!! WTF!! Why remove the clips??
Old 03-28-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gone.
Go Fish
Old 03-28-07, 12:28 PM

Gone.
NBC should be thrilled anyone wants to watch a second of that piece of shit hack show that stains the name of Saturday Night Live
Old 03-28-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Objectively speaking, I didn't think Sanjaya was that bad last night -- the hair didn't even bother me....

....maybe I have Stockholm Syndrome.
Old 03-28-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SMB-IL
Objectively speaking, I didn't think Sanjaya was that bad last night -- the hair didn't even bother me....

....maybe I have Stockholm Syndrome.

The guy can't sing. Period. He stinks. And he's at his worst when he's not screaming.
Old 03-28-07, 12:45 PM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
This was an odd show for us to watch:

Lakisha: what happened?? It's like she was just phoning it in, and when I compare this to her first solo (the Jennifer Hudson song), it's a huge disappointment.

Sligh: Again, what happened? I've been a fan of his, but I don't get how the "mentor" can tell you to watch for being off-tempo... and then that's all you sing, off-tempo.

Gina: Best performance of the night, IMO. She picked a great song for her voice, and I went from cringing when I heard the song choice (as in, oh great, she's going to butcher a song I like), to actually enjoying it. Good job.

Sanjaya: Oh please. Nothing to say, except I agree, if he really had the moxie to go with his outfits and songs, he might be worthwhile. As it is, it's like he's laughing at the AI concept.

Haley: Again, why do EXACTLY what the mentor told you not to? She was singing some OTHER song with the same lyrics, but making up her own melody as she went along. I know that song well, and kept straining my ears, waiting for her to follow the melody I know, not create her own.

Phil: I don't hate him, but I don't get the fuss. He's "meh". He has a very limited range, IMO.

Melinda: Please please PLEASE, FIRE your stylist, AFTER you slap her upside the head and telling her it's not the 70's anymore, thank you. Again, amazing performance, but too similar of a song. You need to sing something more current, or people won't see you as a current artist.

Blake: I liked his performance, very restrained and controlled, and I thought it actually highlighted his singing talent.

I started to multi-task at this point, so I wasn't completely paying attention to:
Jordin: Meh. Good song, but doesn't highlight your vocal ability as well as it could.

Chris R: Again, meh, for pretty much the same reason.

Overall, nothing WOW!... except possibly Gina, because my expectations for that song were so low. Should be interesting to see who goes home tonight. Obviously HOPING for Sunjaya or Haley, but I'm afraid it's one of the Chrises.
Old 03-28-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
And as others have mentioned, never seen Gwen in muted clothes and make up and didn't realize how attractive she is.
Watch the video for No Doubt's "Underneath it All" towards the end when she's jumping on the bed, starting at the 3 minute mark. Yowza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNan4AWppR8

Last edited by djbrown; 03-28-07 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-28-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tragic Kingdom was a great great album. Return of Saturn was okay. Everything else, including her solo work, sucked.

That "Hey Baby" song might be one of the most annoying songs of this decade so far.

Gwen looked hot last night, but she's got too much diva in her now to be palatable.
Old 03-28-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Tragic Kingdom was a great great album. Return of Saturn was okay. Everything else, including her solo work, sucked.
IMHO, Return of Saturn is their seminal work. I love Magic's in the Makeup. That is the only ND album I can listen to front to back. Also, the non-single cuts on the self titled fourth album are quite good. TK always sounded to poppy for me, but RTS is just great.
Old 03-28-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
will go: Chris S., although I really do like him and think he just had an off night.
Chris S. has actually had several "off nights" in a row. It's his time.

I will stick to my bottom three as Sanjaya, Haley and Chris S., with Chris S. going home.

Since we're playing, here's how to I see it all playing out as of this week

Chris S.
Haley
Sanjaya
Gina
Phil
Jordin
Lakisha
Chris R.
Melinda
Blake (winner)
Old 03-28-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
IMHO, Return of Saturn is their seminal work. I love Magic's in the Makeup. That is the only ND album I can listen to front to back. Also, the non-single cuts on the self titled fourth album are quite good. TK always sounded to poppy for me, but RTS is just great.
That was the best part of TK -- the fact that it sounded poppy but it was a completely pissed off album.

Once Gwen stopped being pissed off, her songs & lyrics fell off a cliff.
Old 03-28-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To think that Sanjaya is that sophisticated is to say that beavers are intentionally master civil engineers
I wouldn't consider William Hung sophisticated but he still managed to take public humiliation to the bank.
Old 03-28-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-28-07, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Sanjaya was channeling Jean Beauvoir.

Old 03-28-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nazz
I wouldn't consider William Hung sophisticated but he still managed to take public humiliation to the bank.
and he dropped out of college for his musical "career" and was denied re-admittance
Old 03-28-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Does this guy not know that EVERYONE is making fun of him? On the front page of the Washington Post Style section yesterday there was a picture of Sanjaya bald, and next to it were different hair styles you could cut out and put on him. Watching him last night, I honestly think he feels he's hot stuff. What a tool.
Sanjaya should be voted off if anyone has any mercy. He is getting crucified on every radio talk show, and on major shows. He may or may not think he is good, but they put him there and now he is just getting made fun of really, really harsh. He didnt ask for this. It's getting bad.
Old 03-28-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I certainly hope Sanjaya sticks around -- the show will be pretty dull once he leaves, if tonight is any indication.
Agreed! At least he's entertaining.

I'd sooner Chris R and his neck-shrugging whiney voice leave first.
Old 03-28-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Simon nailed it perfectly when he told Sanjaya it doesn't really matter what they say (or any of us for that matter). He can be as bad as he wants to be and until those voting for them become a minority he'll stay on. As the field shrinks it will become harder and harder for votefortheworst and howard stern to keep him on as more and more of the legitimate votes are consolidated to fewer people.
Old 03-28-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's face it. Sanjaya has the most name recognition of the contestants. At first, it seemed like he was feeling ashamed of advancing ahead of better singers. Now, he's embracing it each week for whatever it's worth. What else explains the crazy hairstyles and the "rocker" attitude?

Isn't J-Lo the celebrity next week? Looking forward to seeing her.
Old 03-28-07, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
He didnt ask for this..

You "ask for this" the minute you sign up for the audition.

1/2 the season is the show goofing on those people who can't sing.
Old 03-28-07, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by rkndkn
Agreed! At least he's entertaining.

I'd sooner Chris R and his neck-shrugging whiney voice leave first.
he reminds me of a bobblehead.

Sanjaya must know he has no shot. At least he looks like he is having fun with his performances.
Old 03-28-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd love to know what Gwen thought of the Sanjaya performance. Yeah, she said he would have a hard time of it with "Bathwater" but I'm sure she didn't know he would be doing it in a "mohawk."
Old 03-28-07, 04:43 PM

I don't think Chris S. had an off night, he is an off-night. Aside from the early quirky attitude, there's a bit of a prick there as well--and the talent isn't enough to make up for it.

As for Sanjaya, the less said the better. What I do think is hilarious is that he has no idea how weird he is. He's capitalizing on a certain facet of his peculiarity, but it's way, way deeper than that...
Old 03-28-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I thought she worked in bank?
Probably so. I am stereotyping!
Old 03-28-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Chris S. has actually had several "off nights" in a row. It's his time.

I will stick to my bottom three as Sanjaya, Haley and Chris S., with Chris S. going home.

Since we're playing, here's how to I see it all playing out as of this week

Chris S.
Haley
Sanjaya
Gina
Phil
Jordin
Lakisha
Chris R.
Melinda
Blake (winner)
Chris R 3rd? Wow. The guy is horrible, and as evidenced by last week, I don't think he has nearly enough following to make it to the top 3.

BTW, kudos to DI for going WAY out on that limb and having 6 people in the "May be voted off or safe. It's just too close to call" category. They aren't even trying anymore.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.