Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Top 10 "Tonight's Theme: Pop Songs" -- 03/27/07 and 03/28/07

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which contestant will get the least amount of votes?
Haley Scarnato
20.20%
Gina Glocksen
4.04%
Jordin Sparks
3.03%
Sanjaya Malakar
23.23%
Phil Stacey
11.11%
Chris Sligh
28.28%
Chris Richardson
10.10%
Blake Lewis
0%
Lakisha Jones
0%
Melinda Doolittle
0%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol -- Top 10 "Tonight's Theme: Pop Songs" -- 03/27/07 and 03/28/07

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boot
Oh, don't get me wrong. Sundance is miles better than Sanjaya. I'm just saying that Sundance got the boot because he wasn't good enough, not because he was worse than Sanjaya.
Sundance left because he flat out sucked. He had an incredible audition but came close to that level of talent again. I was an early Sundance fan but each week I was just shaking my head thinking "what the hell was he thinking?" He has a good voice and can do good things - hopefully somebody gave him a job.

As for Melinda - I hated her from day 1 for the reasons mentioned above. Nice voice but I don't care for her style of music, and she's ugly as sin. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, she reminds me of those "whack-a-mole" games, it's like somebody just whacked her on her head pushing it down into her body.

Originally Posted by DJariya
It boggles my mind why America keeps voting for that freak show that is Sanjaya.

I'm still rooting for Jordin, even though I didn't care for her Karaoke performance of "Hey Baby" and that outfit didn't do her any justice either. It made her look 20 pounds heavier.
I've been dropping a few votes for Sanjaya because he's funny and brings life to the show. He'll be around for a few more weeks but don't worry, he won't come close to winning. As far as Jordin, I really liked that performance of Hey Baby, she's really been doing well lately. And the dress making her look 20 pounds heavier? She's a very big-boned girl, anything is going to make her look big. Next week look at her when she's standing next to Ryan, she's much bigger.

As far as my predictions... like the person who posted his predictions earlier, I'm picking Blake over Melinda in the finals. I just don't see Melinda winning, but I also don't see her leaving anytime soon.
Old 03-30-07, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
What did Ryan say to Melinda? Guess I missed that.
Melinda hasn't really even done the surprise thing for the past two weeks, especially not this past week (except during the bit with Gwen), so Ryan's comment was a bit strange. Either scripted, or (like many people) not getting over their first impressions and reading a surprised look that's not really there.

But anyway,
Ryan: You always look so surprised when you're up on stage, after the song. You're getting used to this though, right?
Melinda: (smiling and nodding) It's fun, it's fun.
Ryan: But it's becoming habit now, you sing, they say good things...
Melinda: it's... it's... yes... (sorta out of breath and speechless)
Ryan: Don't look so surprised, embrace it, enjoy it.
Melinda: (hugs herself and smiles)
Ryan: There you go. Hug yourself.

I'm in the camp that's pretty sure she's genuine, she's just extremely insecure and socially awkward, that's why she looks and acts so strange when she's outside her comfort zone (which is, of course, singing). This comes through pretty loud and clear in all her interviews, auditions, etc., pretty much anytime except when the music is playing.
Old 03-30-07, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Just because it is an act doesn't mean anyone is fooled by it or that she is some genius pulling everyones strings. If Ryan Seacrest can spot it as an act then how slick can she be?

To clarify - I think it is an act and a very poor one at that. Obviously there are reasons she hasn't "made it" yet. Being ingenuine could be a reason...so could having a very tired, although extremely polished, sound.
Occam's razor anyone?

It's not that she was just too insecure to push herself to the forefront her whole career, it's that she knew exactly how good she was but rather than let her singing speak for itself, she chose to adopt some insincere "meek" persona to somehow advance herself, but did it so poorly that everyone saw through it and kept her down? And now she's STILL trying the same game on American Idol after all these years of it not working?

If you actually pay attention, you'll notice her surprise has gotten less and less each week. This past week there was zero, I mean ZERO surprise in her expressions after the performance. A broad, eager smile, yes, but zero surprise. So either she's turned off the act, or she's actually growing week to week in her opinion of herself. Either way, the only thing more tired than the supposed "act" that isn't even there anymore, is the rash of complaints about it every week.
Old 03-30-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pankwindu
Occam's razor anyone?

It's not that she was just too insecure to push herself to the forefront her whole career, it's that she knew exactly how good she was but rather than let her singing speak for itself, she chose to adopt some insincere "meek" persona to somehow advance herself, but did it so poorly that everyone saw through it and kept her down? And now she's STILL trying the same game on American Idol after all these years of it not working?

If you actually pay attention, you'll notice her surprise has gotten less and less each week. This past week there was zero, I mean ZERO surprise in her expressions after the performance. A broad, eager smile, yes, but zero surprise. So either she's turned off the act, or she's actually growing week to week in her opinion of herself. Either way, the only thing more tired than the supposed "act" that isn't even there anymore, is the rash of complaints about it every week.
I seriously do not see how you can say it wasn't there anymore. I wish someone would post video of her post-performance. It isn't as strongly stated as it has been at other times but it was still there.
Old 03-30-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Anyone catch the latest article on TVsquad about how "the fix was in" on Chris due to his "shout out" to Dave from VFTW.com? I really doubt the producers would do that, but then again, I've always thought the fix was slightly in on this show.
Old 03-30-07, 09:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What "shout out"? Which Christ?
Old 03-30-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Idol worshiper! Stone him!

Last edited by Boot; 03-30-07 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-30-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Anyone catch the latest article on TVsquad about how "the fix was in" on Chris due to his "shout out" to Dave from VFTW.com? I really doubt the producers would do that, but then again, I've always thought the fix was slightly in on this show.

I doubt it. It was probably more the fact that he sang terribly, had hair that was arguably worse than Sanjayas (because it was meant to be serious), and was not a looker.

Unless the fix was that they forced him to sing that song and then changed the tempo on him during the live performance.
Old 03-30-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
I doubt it. It was probably more the fact that he sang terribly, had hair that was arguably worse than Sanjayas (because it was meant to be serious), and was not a looker.

Unless the fix was that they forced him to sing that song and then changed the tempo on him during the live performance.
I agree that his performance got him booted, I just wonder if Haley might have actually had a lower vote total and the producers decided to end a problem.

There was an article this morning from loser Chris stating that he "never wanted to win" and "almost quit" but "wanted a career in music and didn't want to go back to marketing" and that being in the top ten "meant alot money on the tour".

Chris, here's the facts: you are a marginally talented, slightly funny, fat ugly dude with pube hair who somehow managed to get a decent looking wife with a nice rack. That already makes you more of a winner than you deserved to be in the first place. I'd count my blessings.
Old 03-30-07, 10:01 AM

Answering my own question. Apparently, Chris S. said "Hi Dave" after his performance on Wednesday. Tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theories are claiming this is a shout-out to VFTW (as if there's only one "Dave" in the world), and stating that the AI producers booted Chris in retaliation.

Old 03-30-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd count my blessings.

Yeah, he will probably be pretty succesfull in his own right without winning though. The Christian music scene is pretty loyal, and I am sure he'll be able to spin losing into something positive in that market.
Old 03-30-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...WS01/703300336

Chris Sligh Making more excuses. Saying he didnt even really want to be there anymore.

STFU and go away now. thanks.
Old 03-30-07, 01:08 PM

Wow, he went to Bob Jones University.
Old 03-30-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
How can there have been any outrage that Sanjaya is still there when we got rid of this shmo.

The guy knew what the show was all about, he knew how it worked. Any now he's complaining about shortened versions of songs and he can't play his guitar.

Didn't seem to hurt Daghtry, Bo Bice or Taylor Hicks.

So long curly.
Old 03-30-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Hopefully Tony Bennett comes down with a nasty virus next week and Alec Baldwin doing Tony Bennett will be the replacement!
That would be MUST WATCH TV. Alec Baldwin would say to win this competition... you need brass balls.
Old 03-30-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More about the crying girl - from the Chicago Tribune, in an article about Chris Sligh’s leaving:

In other “Idol” news, Ashley Ferl, the attention-grabbing “crying girl” from last week’s show, has a history of losing it in the presence of “Idol” contestants.

While attending a dress rehearsal for the show last year, she spotted Mikalah Gordon – her favorite contestant from season four – and began screaming until an usher agreed to take her over to meet the singer, the Los Angeles Times reports. The 13-year-old super-fan also once dyed her hair gray in support of Taylor Hicks and has attended at least 10 “Idol” concerts.
Old 03-30-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Answering my own question. Apparently, Chris S. said "Hi Dave" after his performance on Wednesday. Tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theories are claiming this is a shout-out to VFTW (as if there's only one "Dave" in the world), and stating that the AI producers booted Chris in retaliation.

According to the article, it's true about the reference to VFTW: "Sligh got into a little bit of hot water recently for saying "Hi, Dave" at the conclusion of one of his performances, a reference to the leader of votefortheworst.com, a Web site that picks what it considers the worst contestant and lobbies votes for that contestant."

I don't believe the conspiracy theories though.
Old 03-30-07, 04:38 PM

Chris, here's the facts: you are a marginally talented, slightly funny, fat ugly dude with pube hair who somehow managed to get a decent looking wife with a nice rack. That already makes you more of a winner than you deserved to be in the first place. I'd count my blessings.
Any pics of the wife?
Old 03-30-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is Sanjaya with “Sour Patch Kids Gone Wild” (22 seconds). You know, the goofier he gets the more I like him.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Ct3_unAhsU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Ct3_unAhsU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 03-30-07, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nefarious
I seriously do not see how you can say it wasn't there anymore. I wish someone would post video of her post-performance. It isn't as strongly stated as it has been at other times but it was still there.
I'm glad we agree on the relevant point! It's toned way down, and in any case not any more "surprised" than some of the other contestants' typical reactions (e.g. Gina, Jordin).

Btw, search YouTube for "Melinda Doolittle", sort by date, voila.

Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbegzyJKlo

Get it before Fox shuts it down....
Old 03-30-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenage
Any pics of the wife?
I don't have a picture, but saw her in an interview on American Idol Extra (Fox Reality TV). Good looking blond girl.

Oh, the $50 reference... Chris Sligh was feeling bad on Thursday and was sure he was going. His friend, Phil Stacey, bet Chris $50 that Chris wouldn't go home that day. Phil owes Chris $50.
Old 03-30-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
Yeah, he will probably be pretty succesfull in his own right without winning though. The Christian music scene is pretty loyal, and I am sure he'll be able to spin losing into something positive in that market.
He's in Christian music? Is this CD "Christian?"
http://www.amazon.com/Chance-Somethi...5316803&sr=8-1
Old 03-31-07, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
He's in Christian music? Is this CD "Christian?"
http://www.amazon.com/Chance-Somethi...5316803&sr=8-1
Couldn't tell you, I don't even know what qualifies for "Christian" music these days.
Old 03-31-07, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps...WS01/703300336

Chris Sligh Making more excuses. Saying he didnt even really want to be there anymore.

STFU and go away now. thanks.
Wow, after reading that article, Chris Sligh his an even bigger douche than I thought. Whining that the judges were unfairly harsh toward him, that people just didn't "get" his music, that he wasn't allowed to play an instrument, that he wasn't allowed to blog, that his ousting was somehow political...

How about the much more logical explanation that he just kind of sucked?
Old 04-01-07, 10:19 AM
Cool New Member

I just found an awesome Haley Scarnato site for all the Haley fans at DVDTALK:

http://www.voteforhaley.com

It's even got pictures sorted by body part! Hahaha!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.