Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

October Road - series premiere 3/15/07

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
October Road - series premiere 3/15/07

Okay, so I watched the pilot episode. It was ... okay. I'm not sure I'm sold on Bryan Greenberg's acting chops to head up this kind of show, but it was weird to see One Tree Hill's Mouth on the show as well (since both Lee Norris and Bryan were on OTH, Lee is still on that show).

So, can you go back home again after 10 years? I guess we're about to find out, but nothing is quite all that compelling, even the kid's paternity in question is not all that interesting yet, even with the allergy revelation.

(if there is another October Road thread, please merge)
Old 03-16-07, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The blond chick reminded me of a younger version of Nina from Everwood-- right down to a son named Sam.

Not really a compelling show, but I am interested enough to tune in next week.
Old 03-16-07, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
The blond chick reminded me of a younger version of Nina from Everwood
She reminded me of an older version of the redhead from That 70s Show
Old 03-16-07, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They lost me as soon as they named the town Knight's Ridge MA.......
Old 03-16-07, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are so few dramas without comedy on right now. It was a surprise to see this.

The dialog is horrendous at times, but it's heart is in the right place. Within a few episodes, this could get real good.

But I wouldn't recommend getting attached to this show, something tells me this might be short run and gone.

Nice to see Mouth punch the guy in the bar.
Old 03-16-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia
The blond chick reminded me of a younger version of Nina from Everwood-- right down to a son named Sam.

Not really a compelling show, but I am interested enough to tune in next week.
Will Big Cat turn out to be gay?
Old 03-16-07, 10:07 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayre
The dialog is horrendous at times, but it's heart is in the right place. Within a few episodes, this could get real good.

But I wouldn't recommend getting attached to this show, something tells me this might be short run and gone.
The reviewers who have seen multiple episodes have said it's terrible. Matt Roush form tvguide, on a scale of 1-10, gave it a 0.

I have it recorded but haven't watched it yet, I was waiting to see what people here thought.
Old 03-16-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There were some laughable moments, such as "The kid has a peanut allergy, he must be mine!" -- since peanut allergies all over the place now. The writers should have chosen something less common.

A lot of the premise was unbelievable. In six weeks time, he decided not to come back? In 10 years he not once came home to visit his family, even for holidays? The girlfriend or not one person in the town tried to contact him that she was pregnant? A guy has really stayed in the house since 9/11?

This show kind of reminded me of "Reunion" except without the murder mystery.

I also had a hard time keeping all the various friends/goons/townspeople straight.
Old 03-16-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Here are the ratings for October Road leading out of a new Grey's Anatomy.

"ABC’s October Road took the hour with a solid 14.34 million viewers and a 5.8/16 among adults 18-49. October Road was down by 8.04 million viewers and 34 percent in the demo from lead-in Grey’s Anatomy, with a loss of 1.88 million viewers (15.28 to 13.40 million) and 15 percent among adults 18-49 (6.2/17 to 5.3/15) at 10:30 p.m."

It did better than the former occupant "Men In Trees" but the loss of viewers from the 1st half hour to the last half hour is concerning.

For some reason, I thought this was the tv version of the movie Glory Road (kind of like Friday Night Lights).
I found it interesting but a bit too contrived but I will give it another shot.
Old 03-16-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The ratings are shocking! Personally while it wasn't great by any means, it was interesting and entertaining and I'll definatly watch it through the end of the season. But like other viewers I was getting MAJOR 'Everwood' vibes, which might be the nostaga in my making me like it more...
Old 03-16-07, 11:03 PM

I watched Raines and recorded this and wow, October road sucks! watch Raines not this crap!
I just want men in trees to come back!
Old 03-17-07, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by critterdvd
But like other viewers I was getting MAJOR 'Everwood' vibes, which might be the nostaga in my making me like it more...
That's because both shows have "The Substitute."
Old 03-17-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I actually liked it quite a bit, probably cause I went into expecting nothing.

Doesn't Kelsy Grammer and Patricia Heaton have a very similar sitcom coming out? Being about him leaving town and returning 10 or so years later to find a son that may or may not be his? Sort of like Studio 60 and 30 Rock.
Old 03-17-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I pretty much hated it...the most contrived plotting I've seen in recent memory and attrocious dialogue... I really hope the ratings sink like a stone, mostly because I love MIT and would hate to see it get axed in favour of the drivel... I'm willing to give October Road another shot, but it was fairly brutal IMO.
Old 03-17-07, 05:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
How is it that 'Mouth' from 'One Tree Hill' is in this show? Since he is a series regular over on OTH, why was he allowed to do a show on ABC? He could just be in the pilot episode, but it seems like he and his GF will have a re-occuring role.
Old 03-17-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It all depends on contracts and scheduling. Bryan Greenberg was also supposedly tied to a Bonnie Hunt show which curtailed his continued appearances as Jake on OTH due to contracts (they showed this on "Unscripted"), and OTH had to ship Jake's character off the show in terms of a regular role.
Old 03-20-07, 11:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
How is it that 'Mouth' from 'One Tree Hill' is in this show? Since he is a series regular over on OTH, why was he allowed to do a show on ABC? He could just be in the pilot episode, but it seems like he and his GF will have a re-occuring role.
Maybe that means OTH is over after the season but I hope not!!!!!
Old 03-20-07, 11:09 PM
Suspended

According to the IMDB it states Lee Norris (Mouth) is listed on only 1 episode but the weird thing is they have 6 episodes listed and the star Bryan Greenberg listed in only 5 of them.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756573/
Old 03-24-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This show was better when it was called Glory Days

Plot outline:

The author of a tell-all book gets writer's block and decides to return home for inspiration only to find that the town locals aren't too happy with his last book.
Old 03-27-07, 03:37 AM

ABC just announced that Episode 4 will be the season finale, eventhough they have two-additional episodes filmed and the series is pulling in the best ratings that time-slot has seen all year.

Now don't get my wrong I'm a huge fan of 'Men in Trees,' but this series is starting to grow up on me and not only do I think the final 2 episodes should air as part of season 1 (they will air as the beginning of season 2, if season 2 happens)... but I honestly think its a ridiculous idea to let a series go with an initial run of 4 episodes! Has any series only had a 4-episode first season and then return with future seasons?
Old 03-27-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The end of the premiere was laughable w/ him deciding to stay and speeding back into town.

The show is horribly cheesy, which means that I can't help but watch.
Old 03-27-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn't like the second episode any better... How did the numbers stay so high? October Road is the Sanjaya Malakar of new shows.
Old 04-24-07, 09:16 PM
Suspended

Since I have not seen a 'weekly' thread about it, thought I would bump this with news that the show has been picked up for a second season.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070424/tv_nm/october_dc

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Two recurring players on ABC's "October Road" -- Lindy Booth and Rebecca Field -- have been promoted to regulars for next season, an indication that the network has faith in the midseason drama and is looking to bring it back in the fall.
ADVERTISEMENT

Bryan Greenberg stars as a successful novelist who returns to his hometown. Booth plays Pizza Girl and Field plays Janet the Planet.

The series, which is headed to its season finale Thursday, has had a strong run in the coveted 10 p.m. slot after "Grey's Anatomy.
Old 04-24-07, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Since I have not seen a 'weekly' thread about it, thought I would bump this with news that the show has been picked up for a second season.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070424/tv_nm/october_dc
That article doesn't make anything official. It alludes to the show getting a second season (which isn't surprising at all considering the ratings (which in all honestly SHOCK ME - eventhough I like the show), but it goes out of its way to make it sound unofficial. But a heads up for anyone that might throw a fit when May comes along and OCTOBER ROAD isn't on the listing.
Old 04-24-07, 10:47 PM
Suspended

Considering the 1st season had finished filming months ago, this would be a big indication the show has picked up. Why promote 2 people if the show has been canceled? Its not like were mid-season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.