Smallville -- "Promise" -- 03/15/07

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Smallville -- "Promise" -- 03/15/07

"Promise"
Spoiler:
On Lex and Lana's wedding day, he receives a call from Dr. Langston threatening to tell Lana the truth about her baby; Clark decides to tell Lana about his secret.

Originally Aired: March 15, 2007
Old 03-15-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Spoiler:
Clark decides to tell Lana about his secret.
My meteor freak senses tell me there is a reset button on the horizon.
Old 03-15-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
"Promise"
Spoiler:
Clark decides to tell Lana about his secret.

Originally Aired: March 15, 2007

Spoiler:
Maybe this time, she'll stay fucking dead.
Old 03-15-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Well um hmm....and next week looks retarded too.
Old 03-15-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Very melodramatic and soapy, but I still loved the entire anguish-filled episode of 2 people in love, but kept apart because each thinks they are doing what is best for the other.

So now Lana definitely knows about Clark's powers, but Lionel has truly come back to the fore as being the major power broker on the show. Lex is a whipped dog for now, but I suspect he'll get back to business soon enough.
Old 03-15-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What was each character going through a nightmare, anyway?

I didn't think much about the time frame gimmick of the day's events from different perspectives at first, but I guess it was the only real interesting way for Lana to see more of Clark's abilities. But it was nice to see (evil) Lionel, back with a bit of a vengeance, pulling a lot of strings and causing Lana to involuntarily turn the tables on Clark. A good set-up so far, both now with broken hearts.

And where was Lana's dad on this special day? Off-handedly, I thought that character was a weak and unnecessary subplot from a few seasons ago, so it's just as well he wasn't around.
Old 03-15-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
any idea what's the big secret about lana's pregnancy? lex doped her up and did some experiments?

aside from chloe's soapy speech, thought this was a pretty good episode. loved the papa luthor slap, it was a great reminder about that guy in the crypt.
Old 03-15-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by hdtv00
next week looks retarded too.
with WWE crosspromotion for the 2nd time this season
Old 03-15-07, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really liked this episode. And a Shelby appearance! Heartbreaking, and not in too much of a cheesy CW way, either.
Old 03-15-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So did someone drop the ball in the FX department?

Looks like there were a few missing frames during Clark's departure from the wine cellar (from Lana's perspective).
Old 03-15-07, 10:36 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I didn't really care for the multiple perspective telling of it and Clark continues to be a moron about using his power, to just use his powers like that in the Luthor mansion of all places was stupid.

Lana knowing about Clark and Linoel going back to the darkside opens up some stuff fir futute episodes.
Old 03-15-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eplicon

And where was Lana's dad on this special day? Off-handedly, I thought that character was a weak and unnecessary subplot from a few seasons ago, so it's just as well he wasn't around.
Lana's dad and mom got decimated by one of the meteors when Clark's ship arrived on earth.
Old 03-15-07, 11:05 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I thought this was actually a great episode. Great story development and Lionel is back to being pure evil.

And I agree about next week. I thought that was going to be
Spoiler:
Lobo for a second, but it's just another stupid zoner.
Old 03-16-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patman
Very melodramatic and soapy, but I still loved the entire anguish-filled episode of 2 people in love, but kept apart because each thinks they are doing what is best for the other.
This is what I hate most about it. Another lame idea to keep Lana and Clark apart. How many sad looks we going to get when they look at each other in the coming weeks.

Two steps forward, three steps back.
Old 03-16-07, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Lana's dad and mom got decimated by one of the meteors when Clark's ship arrived on earth.

No, Lana's real dad was introduced a few seasons ago. He's still alive.
Old 03-16-07, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
So did someone drop the ball in the FX department?

Looks like there were a few missing frames during Clark's departure from the wine cellar (from Lana's perspective).
The point they were making was that from Lana's perspective, Clark running off at superspeed would look like he just disappeared.
I thought it was a nice touch.
Old 03-16-07, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Originally Posted by collven
No, Lana's real dad was introduced a few seasons ago. He's still alive.
The expression is biological father
Old 03-16-07, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Count Dooku
The point they were making was that from Lana's perspective, Clark running off at superspeed would look like he just disappeared.
I thought it was a nice touch.
I had read this as well on another board. What you'd want to check is if the sound was made from Chloe's point of view when she found him catch the car.

I had liked the way they were going with Lana believe in Clark and trying to figure it out herself, but I felt like this was a little bit done for plots sake. However, her having the dream/flashback to season 1 was a nice touch. I had felt she had given up once she found out he wasn't a krypto freak, but I suppose the dream gives reason for that to follow. I suppose it shows her smarts to try and fit Chloe into the equation instead of asking them both repeatedly.

As much as I'm continually displeased with Lana (can't figure out how much of it is KK's acting v the writers...), I do feel this was more of an original take on the keeping them apart angle. She truely looked depressed and dead inside. Ironic that she's the one now keeping a secret to protect Clark.

I too thought we were going to see Lex meltdown because she wasn't going to show, but I think that should be reserved for the baby dying - at least that's my bet.

Orrr, maybe she'll end up dying a "second" time, but not after she was accepting of Clark's true self. Would bring closure and show Clark there are some things he can't control - or would that totally invalidate Jonathan's death?
Old 03-16-07, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
The expression is biological father
I really don't remember Lana's sperm donor of a father. What season did this episode reveal him?
Old 03-16-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was an okay episode. Not as good as I was expecting.

Maybe if this Clark and Lana stuff had happened in season 3, I would care. Now it just is the same thing over and over and over...and over. Lex saying he wouldn't know what his life would be like without Lana. Blah, please let Lana leave him and Lex kills Lionel, finally.
Old 03-16-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I did like Lana's crazy eyes early in the episode (where you could see her entire pupils).
Old 03-16-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really don't remember Lana's sperm donor of a father. What season did this episode reveal him?
Season 2

http://smallville.wikia.com/wiki/Lineage
Old 03-16-07, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too many people know the secret now. Other than Lois and Lex, all the regulars know, not to mention the zoners and the JLA. I think they need to thin the crowd a bit. I'm thinking Lionel will be killed off and either Chloe or Lana.

On a side note, Clark saved Lionel's life with the whole liver-healing thing back in Season 4. Do you think he was just bluffing when he said he'd kill Clark? Or is he completely back to his old ways?
Old 03-16-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Lionel is still trying to figure out/producing writings. At least I seem to remember them having some of this earlier in the season.

I'm actually betting he's still going to be good - remember, he thinks Lex is an inch from the deep end and he's told Martha and Clark that several times. My money is that his "due" from Lex will be something revolving around the baby. That or Lionel telling Lana and hear leaving at that point, although I can't figure why Lionel would want to send Lex over the edge.
Old 03-16-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by comanche_doyle
Too many people know the secret now. Other than Lois and Lex, all the regulars know, not to mention the zoners and the JLA. I think they need to thin the crowd a bit. I'm thinking Lionel will be killed off and either Chloe or Lana.

On a side note, Clark saved Lionel's life with the whole liver-healing thing back in Season 4. Do you think he was just bluffing when he said he'd kill Clark? Or is he completely back to his old ways?
I'm wondering if he's simply trying to keep Clark focused on the whole training/destiny thing.

If he ends up with Lana, then it's pretty much screw the Zoners and the Fortress.

Last edited by candyrocket786; 03-16-07 at 02:04 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.