DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Black Donnellys -- 3/12/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/495089-black-donnellys-3-12-07-a.html)

MasterCXtreme 03-12-07 10:30 PM

Black Donnellys -- 3/12/07

Awesome episode tonight. I was only lukewarm about the last couple weeks, but this week was pretty solid and I'm hooked.

zekeburger1979 03-12-07 10:52 PM

I'm still not feeling anything for this show. It's not bad, but it hasn't hooked me. That being said, I would rather watch this than DOND.

When Dokie said "As God is my witness...", I said out loud "I thought turkeys could fly!" :)

MFRONE 03-12-07 11:27 PM

Do I need to watch the exclusive nbc.com episode before this one or are they the same thing?

dgmayor 03-13-07 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by MFRONE
Do I need to watch the exclusive nbc.com episode before this one or are they the same thing?

It happened before this episode. They showed some of the higlights in the recap at the beginning of the show.

aJOHNymous 03-13-07 09:17 AM

i don't care how accurate this show may or may not be, i'm really digging it. the point of TV shows is to "entertain", and dammit, this show is certainly entertaining me. it may be pretty far fetched and have some sketchy performances, but if NBC allows this show enough time to find an audience, then the actors will have had enough time to get into a groove and really sink into their characters more convincingly. had this show been developed for HBO or Showtime, i'm sure more people would be jumping on the bandwagon for obvious reasons (swearing, sex, graphic violence, etc).

it's not the sopranos and i really don't think it's trying to be. that much i'm sure of. the idea for mob allusions on a TV show is not owned by the sopranos and i think more people need to realize that.

just my $0.02

aktick 03-13-07 09:26 AM

Dokie's speech at the funeral was moronic. He should've been booed off the stage. :p

Jimmy's stupidity is starting to get almost unbearable.

Overall though, I'm still really enjoying this.

Quatermass 03-13-07 10:21 AM

I have made my three attempts to get into this show. I really want to like it, but I'm probably done after this one. I don't really like any of the characters and I have a hard time understanding Tommy. I'm not deaf and I don't have problems with anyone else's accent (I have a lot of family in NY and New England), but whenever Tommy says anything, I'm looking for subtitles.

B.A. 03-13-07 10:34 AM

They need to start killing the stupid people off, and that includes the brother.

Nefarious 03-13-07 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I have made my three attempts to get into this show. I really want to like it, but I'm probably done after this one. I don't really like any of the characters and I have a hard time understanding Tommy. I'm not deaf and I don't have problems with anyone else's accent (I have a lot of family in NY and New England), but whenever Tommy says anything, I'm looking for subtitles.

I agree. I told my wife that she can keep watching it if she wants but that I've written it off. The initial episode was fairly solid but not spectacular. The last two have been hard to finish and I keep looking at the clock hoping it was almost over.

In my opinion, the show just isn't as tight as it needs to be. They seem to have taken elements from several shows they liked and are trying to twist something original out of the mix. It just isn't working.

Every one of these criminals seems incapable of avoiding detection and I have a hard time believing any of them would really be on the street as careless as they seem to act and think.

The quick connect up with Jenny & Tommy followed by their immediate demise followed by her leaving with the muffin man. It seemed extremely rushed without any attention to patient character development.

I think I have just been too spoiled by the brilliance of great shows on HBO (The Wire, Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome) that network TV just can't hold a candle too.

mdc3000 03-13-07 01:40 PM

I thought Jenny was married...and now it seems like she's not...what's up with that?

SoSpacey 03-13-07 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I thought Jenny was married...and now it seems like she's not...what's up with that?

her husband is dead, i think, but she thinks he is just missing. or at least thats what she tells people.

she is just starting to realize he isnt coming back and beginning to move on with her life.

anyways, there is something about this show i really like and some things that are just stupid. would jimmy really be that stupid?

kms_md 03-13-07 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
her husband is dead, i think, but she thinks he is just missing.

IIRC, "ice cream" said in the first episode she thought he had run off, but he actually had been stuffed in an oil barrel.

GoldenJCJ 03-13-07 11:22 PM

If I was Tommy I'd be more scared of that little kid...He's Damian for Christ's sake!!

Patman 03-13-07 11:24 PM

I really wished I cared about Huey, I really do...

Someone please run over Jimmy's good leg.

Tommy does look like he just drank prune juice in most of his close-ups.