DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Robin Hood (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/495071-robin-hood.html)

Dan G 03-12-07 07:45 PM

Robin Hood

Anyone watching Robin Hood Hood on BBC America? It made its US debut 2 weeks ago.
After seeing the first 2 shows, I find myself really enjoying it.
It's on Saturday nights at 9est, with replays throughout the week. The first 2 episodes will be re-airing on Tuesday night, so you can be caught up in time for Saturday.

Would love to see some discussion here on the show, but don't want to read spoilers from people who have already watched the first season in its entirety.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/195/index.jsp

IDrinkMolson 03-12-07 07:54 PM

Yeah, I've been watching it as well. Saw a commercial for it somewhere and set up a season pass. It's been pretty good so far.

SonOfAStu 03-12-07 08:20 PM

My roommates and I recorded the premiere, started to watch it, and deleted it 10 minutes into the show. Possibly the stupidest thing I've seen on TV this year. Of course, that's just my opinion.

innocentfreak 03-12-07 08:35 PM

Its ok, but could be better. One thing to keep in mind. In the UK, it airs at 7:00 PM which is one of the family hours so it is aimed at a young crowd.

Dydion 03-12-07 08:38 PM

I find it enjoyable in a relaxing way. Not intense, doesn't require a whole lot of thought, pleasing camerawork, pleasing scenery, sorta cheesy, but nicely written and entertaining. I plan to keep watching it. :toast:

And I really like Britspeak. :)

bralph 03-13-07 07:17 AM

I watched the first two episodes, but I think I'm done with it. It's just not engaging enough. It's not horrible, but I have enough other shows I enjoy so much more.

Ayre 03-13-07 07:31 AM

I watched the first. A little too corny for me. There is a scene where robin does a back flip off of a platform. They show it from one angle. Replay it again from another and yet again from another. Just too thrilled with itself. I liked some of the sets, especially the town of Loxley(sp).

Much lighter than the "Robin of Sherwood" from the 80's (Praed).

SonOfAStu 03-13-07 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ayre
I watched the first. A little too corny for me. There is a scene where robin does a back flip off of a platform. They show it from one angle. Replay it again from another and yet again from another.

That was the scene we turned it off after. Not to mention the "father" and "daughter" in that scene were um, the same age.

shaggybrown 03-13-07 07:52 AM

Is this a new series? I remember watching a Robin Hood show back when I was a kid that I really enjoyed. It had a different take on the Robin Hood legend, focusing more on the mystical aspects.

marty888 03-13-07 08:06 AM

I'm finding it moderately enjoyable, enough to keep me watching. Most shows are so stupid that after one or two episodes I bail out, and this may go that way, but so far I'm along for the ride. It's definitely not a show that could be accused of depth or sophistication in its storytelling.

DVD Josh 03-13-07 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
My roommates and I recorded the premiere, started to watch it, and deleted it 10 minutes into the show. Possibly the stupidest thing I've seen on TV this year. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Yeah, it's not good. It's cheesy and predictable, and I LOVE the Robin Hood mythos, as does my wife. But the acting and dialog is just terrible.

However, the girl who plays Marian is just plain H-O-T.

Doc MacGyver 03-13-07 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dydion
I find it enjoyable in a relaxing way. Not intense, doesn't require a whole lot of thought, pleasing camerawork, pleasing scenery, sorta cheesy, but nicely written and entertaining. I plan to keep watching it. :toast:

And I really like Britspeak. :)

Pretty much my feelings on the subject to a T.

Doc

Chew 03-13-07 09:35 AM

I agree with this as well.

Peer ratings at TV.com make it look like it steadily improves as the season goes on.

B.A. 03-13-07 09:44 AM

I watched the end of the premiere and most of the second ep over the weekend. Not that bad, imo.

TrolleyDave 03-15-07 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by shaggybrown
Is this a new series? I remember watching a Robin Hood show back when I was a kid that I really enjoyed. It had a different take on the Robin Hood legend, focusing more on the mystical aspects.

I think what you're thinking of is Robin Of Sherwood with the theme title done by Clannad. Excellent series.

This ones more of an action series. It's nowhere near as good as Robin Of Sherwood but I enjoyed it when it was on over here. It passed the time while I was eating supper!

Dydion 03-18-07 10:10 AM

Yep, this show is really growing on me now. A little harder edge this week, definitely harder than the last two...The Sheriff's settling into his role as a grotty old git, eh?

Lucy Griffiths got me 'eart, lads!

DVD Josh 03-18-07 11:31 AM

Yep, this show is really growing on me now. A little harder edge this week, definitely harder than the last two...The Sheriff's settling into his role as a grotty old git, eh?

Lucy Griffiths got me 'eart, lads!

This was a solid episode. Must tighter and the cast is starting to gel. However, this show suffers from the Bond villain problem. Hood would be deader than dead by now.

Peep 03-18-07 10:39 PM

First episode was crap. Will give it a second chance. It's going to have to get A LOT better for me to continue watching.

riley_dude 03-18-07 10:58 PM

I watched the first episode and decided not to watch it again.

DVD Josh 03-18-07 11:17 PM

I will say the first episode is for shit. The second is a little better, but the third is MILES better. This is why I like to give new shows three eps. I'll probably stick with it for a few more to see how it works out.

Doc MacGyver 03-19-07 12:01 PM

I just saw the third episode and I've been enjoying the show (for what it is), but I have a question about the most recent episode. Forgive my ignorance if I sound racist, but were there actually black people in England during the middle ages (aside from the occasional traveling Moore)? And if so, did they have erudite Londinian accents and hold positions as high as Master-At-Arms? Mind you, I'm not saying that that dude shouldn't have held such a position, it just struck me as historically dodgy, and I was wondering if I was mistaken?

Doc

Doc MacGyver 03-20-07 09:18 AM

No one touching that one, eh?

IDrinkMolson 03-20-07 09:28 AM

Ironically I just watched the episode this morning was wondering if he would have held a high position back then. I was under the same impression.

Doc MacGyver 03-20-07 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Ironically I just watched the episode this morning was wondering if he would have held a high position back then. I was under the same impression.

Right? I know England doesn't have the same torrid history with mistreating blacks as America does, but I'm still pretty sure that it was a fairly homogeneous white society up until the past few centuries. I could be mistaken though, it just struck me as odd. Like seeing a white guy working for the emperor of china 600 years ago.

Doc

adamblast 03-20-07 12:25 PM

I watched the whole first season as it became available on p2p, and certainly enjoyed it enough to look forward to Season 2. At the same time, I've gotta say it lowers the bar for a BBC series. It's really a brain-dead action show, first and foremost, which I'm not used to from them, but fine... It's like watching Hercules/Xena in widescreen with better camerawork.