Reload this Page >

Best Cablevision Deal?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Best Cablevision Deal?

Old 03-11-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Best Cablevision Deal?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I guess the mods will move it as they see fit. I'm moving to a new apartment starting April 1st, which will have Cablevision serving it. I currently have Directv with my dual-tuner Tivo, but I think I'm going to have to let it go. It's just costing me too much to have online through Comcast, and satellite through Directv. Also, I want to get HD, and it's way too expensive right now to get that set up. I feel the cheapest way will likely be through cable.

Now, the deal I see advertised is that triple-play, but I really have no need for the phone service as I don't even plan on having a land line. All I want to pay for is Internet and TV. Are there any deals right now not on their website (I know Comcast used to send out fliers, and they would have better offers than the website) which will give me the Cable, HD, HDDVR, HBO, (maybe Showtime), and the Internet for less than that triple play? If I'm going to get rid of anything it would most likely be the premium channels, but I really want an HDDVR. So, does anyone have any suggestions?

TO SUM UP:
I want: Cable, HDDVR, Internet
I would like: HBO, Showtime
I need: the lowest price possible
Old 03-12-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hd and the HDDvr are independent of any deals, but without phone you might pay slightly more that 29 a month for the two.

Hd is free, and the HDDvr is like 5 bucks a month...call them
Old 03-12-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the HDDVR is 10 a month according to the website, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 03-12-07, 03:22 AM
Cool New Member

you should check if verizon fios tv and internet is available first before you sign up with cablevision.
Old 03-12-07, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
internet alone is $45 a month...the cable service youre looking for will be close to $100
Old 03-12-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My Bill:
No Charge for HD but:

$6.25 for Cable Box
$10 for DVR fee.
So it's basically $16.25 for an HD DVR

My Bill cost $88 for HBO "silver" package, which includes HBO, Encore, and Sports networks. But not showtime, flix or Cinemax.

I will be switching to Verizon Fios when it comes to town.
Old 03-12-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Little tip for CV TV customers:

if you qualify for Verizon FiosTV, call the CV Cancellation/Retention dept. and tell them you're considering switching over to FiosTV. 9 times out of 10, they'll lower your CV bill on the spot: for analog, the discount is ~$17/month; for iO, the discount starts at almost $20/month....
Old 03-12-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't been able to check if I qualify for Fios due to system error, but I'll try calling later. I wish I knew what areas were covered in NJ, but I have a feeling I won't be getting lucky.
Old 03-12-07, 12:30 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is a rumor that Discovery HD & National Geographics HD is coming March 23rd. I have the service and have no problems with it, I just wish there were more HD channels.
Old 03-12-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I haven't been able to check if I qualify for Fios due to system error, but I'll try calling later. I wish I knew what areas were covered in NJ, but I have a feeling I won't be getting lucky.
http://www22.verizon.com/Content/FiOSTV/
Old 03-12-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jobronie
That's what I have been trying, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. It either tries to load the results, and gets a system error, or it kicks me back to the information entering screen.
Old 03-12-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I enter my old address it works, and it's not available. When I try the new address I cannot get it to work. I'll probably have to call them.
Old 03-12-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
That's what I have been trying, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. It either tries to load the results, and gets a system error, or it kicks me back to the information entering screen.
Same here.
Old 03-13-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it's not available in my area after calling, and they have no idea when it will be available so I guess I'm stuck getting cable. I'll have to call them soon, and see what I can work out since I'm moving in the 1st.
Old 03-26-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow can I just say that these people are fucking rapists? I thought Comcast was bad, but this company might actually be worse. I was looking at the triple play silver package that comes with HBO. First they charge you 10 extra for the HD DVR, which I thought "OK I think Comcast is the same so no big deal." But then you have to pay extra for OnDemand? With Comcast if you have the premium channel, you have the OD channel. Here, if you want HBO OD, oh pay an extra 5. Not only that, but EVERY premium channel is an extra 5? What kind of bullshit is that? I thought the whole point of going with cable over satellite was the OD. I want HBO OD, but I don't know if I want to pay that price.
Old 03-26-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Welcome to Dolan country, bitch! That's how we do things 'round these parts for our entermatainment - bend over, grab our ankles.

Seriously though, I thought the way you described it is how it worked for OD (you have the pay channel, you get OD for free). You should talk to a rep.
Old 03-26-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the way Comcast works, but I was talking to the customer service rep, and it is not that way for premium channels on Cablevision. I couldn't believe they wanted 5 bucks a month PER PREMIUM CHANNEL. What a bunch of scumbags. Then they wonder why people download shows. I may just take the free month of HBO, catch up on Rome, and use my DVR for the rest.