Search this Thread

Old 03-11-07, 12:59 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Battlestar Galactica - "The Son Also Rises" - 3/11/07

"The Son Also Rises"
Spoiler:
Sabotage, dissension and unlikely alliances cause complications as the fleet awaits the trial of Gaius Baltar.
Old 03-11-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Yawn. More filler. When will they do something exciting, like get stuck in a holodeck simulation run amok?
Old 03-11-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jason
Yawn. More filler. When will they do something exciting, like get stuck in a holodeck simulation run amok?
Old 03-11-07, 07:19 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
Involving Professor Moriarty!
Old 03-11-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any episode that contains some
Spoiler:
awaiting
is a-okay by me! That's dramatic gold, it is!
Old 03-11-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Was that John Cusack?
Old 03-11-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Filler? The story line they started a few episodes back is finally continuing. I don't exactly see that as filler.
Old 03-12-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Filler? The story line they started a few episodes back is finally continuing. I don't exactly see that as filler.
It is if you see the entire storyline as filler. Trying Baltar isn't bringing them any closer to defeating the Cylons or finding Earth.
Old 03-12-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I know that is their goal, I don't see the series ending with them defeating the Cylons and finding Earth. Would there be a satisfactory ending like that? Or would it turn into the next Galactica 1980?

And, if played right, yes, I suppose it could bring them closer to defeating the Cylons. They have one of them aboard and Baltar spent all that time with them. They got two aces in their deck right now that they didn't have before.

I view "filler" episodes as those that stop the season's story line dead in it's tracks.
Old 03-12-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They should have subtitled the weird sunglasses guy. Couldn't understand half the crap he was saying. I didn't get parts of the episode and didn't understand the letter at the end. And this is coming from someone who understood last week's episode even though apprently a lot of folks didn't.
Old 03-12-07, 02:12 AM

I think the most interesting thing about this episode was Katee Sackhoff's name wasn't in the opening credits...
Old 03-12-07, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, if I understand correctly; the paper has cut corners, but the envelopes are standard rectangles? That don't make no kinda sense, do it? Just seemed weird to me.

Everything else I liked. Well, except maybe asking Badger to wear sunglasses indoors and beef up his Irish accent. That was just odd. It was nice to see Lee acting even more childish and immature than ever. It should be a nice path to go down if he's gonna be so easy to manipulate.
Old 03-12-07, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Regardless of whether it was filler or not, this episode was boring.
Old 03-12-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wergo
So, if I understand correctly; the paper has cut corners, but the envelopes are standard rectangles? That don't make no kinda sense, do it? Just seemed weird to me.
If you tri-fold an octagon, you get a rectangle. They have a crack team on the stationary details of the Colonies and it's no surprise that a human stuck in 4-cornered monotony wouldn't understand.

"Mumblemouth" Lamkin was quite the pick-pocket. I don't think I would have taken Baltar's pube pen, though.

It was a very slow episode, but at least we've seen Lee take an(other) opposing view to the Admiral. Defending Baltar has got to be right up there with defending with Bin Laden. I don't think that's going to make him a popular candidate to step in as Admiral if Bill goes away.
Old 03-12-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Defending Dr. Baltar, Corey Hart, JD
Old 03-12-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shady12
They should have subtitled the weird sunglasses guy. Couldn't understand half the crap he was saying. I didn't get parts of the episode and didn't understand the letter at the end. And this is coming from someone who understood last week's episode even though apprently a lot of folks didn't.
I'm suprised people didn't like Mark Sheppard's guest stint. I thought he was one of the most intriguing additions to the show in quite some time. Then again, I always think the addition of a brogue makes someone immediately cooler, and I'm so used to off-the-boat family members that I had no problem understanding him. The letter at the end was letting Baltar know that Lee would be on their side and would be a powerful ally. This shows that all of that self-discovery Lee was going through and the compassion and friendship that Lampkin seemed to be throwing his way was actually manipulation to get him to join the defense.

Doc
Old 03-12-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Vehemet supporter of this show, but it really needs to pick up quickly.
Old 03-12-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, if I understand correctly; the paper has cut corners, but the envelopes are standard rectangles? That don't make no kinda sense, do it? Just seemed weird to me. ...
And Starbuck's photo has cut corners. But everybody else's photo on the memorial wall does not have cut corners.

Maybe the rectangular envelopes are to hold pictures, other than Starbuck?

Seriously though, these filler shows are getting really old. Bring back the cylons and space battles!
Old 03-12-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I caught the last 25 minutes and didnt even care enough to watch the 11pm showing for the first bit. Sad.
Old 03-12-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Heat
And Starbuck's photo has cut corners. But everybody else's photo on the memorial wall does not have cut corners.

Maybe the rectangular envelopes are to hold pictures, other than Starbuck?

Seriously though, these filler shows are getting really old. Bring back the cylons and space battles!
I still don't think this is filler. "The Woman King", "Black Market" - those are filler eps. This related directly back to the occupation and the fate of Baltar. If Romo Lampkin disappeared and the trial was never mentioned again, it would be filler. But this is the begining of a three-episode arc that will decide the fate of the most duplicitous character on the show. How is that filler?

Doc
Old 03-12-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
Vehemet supporter of this show, but it really needs to pick up quickly.
Agreed.

The thing that bugs me most about "filler" eps and the slow pace of the series is that it isn't doing that great in the ratings and I'm sure it's a costly series to produce, so it could have the rug pulled out from under it at any time.

So if season four ends on a big cliffhanger AND the series doesn't get renewed for a fifth season, it's going to be really frustrating to look back at all of the filler episodes and drawn-out storylines in this season.
Old 03-12-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
So if season four ends on a big cliffhanger AND the series doesn't get renewed for a fifth season, it's going to be really frustrating to look back at all of the filler episodes and drawn-out storylines in this season.
They'd be silly to plan next year's 13-episode season as anything *but* a final season. Moving the show to Sundays was a clear indication that the bloom is off the rose, that the show is no longer part of SciFi network's longterm plans.
Old 03-12-07, 11:47 AM

I'm in the 'this is not filler' camp. I'm enjoying the Baltar subplot. If you just want battles with no subtext go watch Yu-Gi-Oh!

So, if I understand correctly; the paper has cut corners, but the envelopes are standard rectangles?
If you think about it, an envelope with cut corners would not be able to fit a same sized piece of paper with corners cut or not.
Old 03-12-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-12-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Strafe
If you think about it, an envelope with cut corners would not be able to fit a same sized piece of paper with corners cut or not.
That's a good point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.