Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Twenty Four (24) -- "Day 6: 5:00PM - 6:00PM" -- 03/05/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twenty Four (24) -- "Day 6: 5:00PM - 6:00PM" -- 03/05/07

Old 03-06-07, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love powers boothe, about time a tough as nails prez gets to lead the country. i love next week's preview when he tells suverov that they better comply or face an all out assault. that was bada$$. this episode was good. good to see jack back as he didn't fall for the general's lies and then went on to actually cut his finger off to get to the truth. the bad was trying to walk out the front door, stupid writing there. and the russian guy leaving the room to try to call ctu, he could've did that by staying with jack and letting jack talk to buchanon. how stupid can the people around the president be by actually believing that hassad could of been behind the asassination when he pushed the president out of the way and actually said "bomb" to warn everyone. very bad writing there. hassad took the brunt of the blast so wayne can have a chance.
Old 03-06-07, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,747 Likes on 2,688 Posts
I thought it was a very good episode. It had some good levels of suspense and I was quite engaged the full hour. I do have to agree that Jack should have called Bill right away after he managed to get the confession. And having him walk into the door was flat out idiotic. You would think he would have enough common sense to know the Russians would plant a bomb on the door. That was some stupid writing by Evan Katz and David Fury. I doubt Howard Gordon, who created the story, would have concocted something so stupid.

One of the best things was bringing Powers Boothe into the mix for nearly a full episode. The guy has such a dynamic presence. I'm very happy that's taking over as Commander in Chief for awhile.

Loved that they brought in Kari Matchett!! Very beautiful and absolutely drop dead gorgeous who so deserves more roles, especially after her performance on Invasion last season. Hope she stays around awhile.

I don't know about all of you, but I am soooo stoked to see Ricky Schroder finally coming into the show next week. From the previews, Mike Doyle (Jack Jr.) looks like a total badass. The show needs it now that Curtis is 6 feet under.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-06-07 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-06-07, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Like others, I am not liking this season either. It's to the point where I have lost pretty much all interest and 24 is just running in the background (the first time this has ever happened). For all of the kudos this show got for initially being revolutionary and original, they sure do like to recycle old elements and essentially stick to the same old stuff ad nauseam.

Something that used to regain my interest in the past when I drifted away from certain episodes was Chloe's demeanor—but the one thing the writers shouldn't have changed, they changed. Chloe simply sucks this season. In the past, when the show became bogged down in its staleness, Chloe often provided a much needed jolt. More specifically, her rude, sulking, and pouting demeanor was the source of much needed comedic relief. She used to say whatever the hell that came into her mind—usually at the wrong times, which made her very funny and perhaps charming as well. That is not the case so far this season. She has hardly managed to give me a chuckle with her new persona. What the writers have done to Chloe is the equivalent of them cutting off Bauer's balls and turning him into Danny Tanner. It's bad enough that they've killed off every character worth a damn, but now they've managed to essentially eliminate one of the show's best characters without actually killing them off.

I'll still finish the season, but damn, I can see this becoming like one of those crappy books you start and absolutely mush finish despite its crapiness. Anyway, this'll be my only threadcrappish post in these 24 threads; I just had to say all of these things. My future posts in these threads will consist of terse comments on whether I enjoyed the episode or not (as is usually the case).
Old 03-06-07, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
That was some stupid writing by Evan Katz and David Fury. I doubt Howard Gordon, who created the story, would have concocted something so stupid.
When David Fury left Lost to do 24, I thought we were going to be in for some good stuff; however, while I liked last night's episode of 24, I don't think Fury's switch was such a good thing after all, as a lot of his episodes have been underwhelming.
Old 03-06-07, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 246 Posts
310-597-3781 is Fox's "24" Fan Phone number. They used it in Day 4, 5, and now 6. The number still works, and callers are directed to a Nextel voicemail box if nobody answers. According to Wikipedia, voicemail typically states:

Nextel operator: (Spanish) The mailbox belonging to...
Voice of unknown male: (English) "Nextel phone for 24"
Nextel operator: (Spanish) ...is full. It cannot accept any more messages. Please try again later. Goodbye.
Old 03-06-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Who's the actor who shot that Russian guy making the call to Buchanon? I recognize him from a movie (I can even visualize a part of a scene) but I can't remember what movie it was...
He was one of the officers in the film 'Hunt for Red October'

Boris Lee Krutonog - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0472928/

Last edited by JayDerek; 03-06-07 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-06-07, 08:26 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

[QUOTE=JayDerek][QUOTE=TheMovieman]Who's the actor who shot that Russian guy making the call to Buchanon? I recognize him from a movie (I can even visualize a part of a scene) but I can't remember what movie it was...

Obvious, not a
Old 03-06-07, 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=JayDerek][QUOTE=TheMovieman]Who's the actor who shot that Russian guy making the call to Buchanon? I recognize him from a movie (I can even visualize a part of a scene) but I can't remember what movie it was...

Obvious, not a real life Russian.
Old 03-06-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Good episode. But I'm a little distressed over the lack of Jack Bauer screen time in these past 3 episodes.
Old 03-06-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JayDerek

Also the helmsman to the USS Excelsior in Star Trek 6.
Old 03-06-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
including how everyone has apparently been stricken with collective amnesia that Bashir tried to push Principal Wood away from the bomb.
Those that might have seen it, might have been killed. Maybe They will address this when Palmer regains conciousness.
Old 03-06-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doughboy

Powers Boothe has about 1000 times the presence of D.B. Woodside. I just hope they don't take the obvious route by having him in on the assassination plot.

It did not appear that Boothe was in on this, but who knows.
Old 03-06-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDerek

Thanks! And I had just seen Hunt for Red October too (though the scene I was thinking of was Italian Job; the guy showing Norton the gold bars). Trying to figure out where I knew him from was sort of driving me nuts.
Old 03-06-07, 11:08 AM

not a bad episode. It seems every season of 24 is kind of slow around this time in a season. Looks like its gonna pick up from the preview..
Old 03-06-07, 11:19 AM

one of the better episodes in quite a while.
Old 03-07-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This season has been dreadful.
Old 03-07-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,747 Likes on 2,688 Posts
Dreadful is a very harsh word to use. I would say inconsistent would probably summarize Season 6.

Now, how many of you were making these type of negative comments about Season 3 and 4? I know Season 3 had a very weak 1st half and a damn good 2nd half. Many here called Season 4 bad as well saying it was a parody of itself.
Old 03-07-07, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lara Means
This season has been dreadful.
Lara Means was awesome, as was Millennium!
Old 03-07-07, 07:44 AM

Dreadful is a very harsh word to use. I would say inconsistent would probably summarize Season 6.

Now, how many of you were making these type of negative comments about Season 3 and 4? I know Season 3 had a very weak 1st half and a damn good 2nd half. Many here called Season 4 bad as well saying it was a parody of itself.
It's definitely reminiscent of Season 3. In both seasons, the writers had a threat that they introduced early on(biological weapon, suitcase nukes), but couldn't unleash until later in the year out of fear of being left with nothing else to do(a trap they fell into in Season 2 after the nuke went off).

So both seasons, we've been subjected to a meandering plot that seems to be going nowhere and keeps throwing countless red herrings at us. With Season 3 it was David Palmer's girlfriend and the Kyle Singer plotline. This year, it's Wayne Palmer's sister and the Phillip Bauer plotline.

Both seasons also brought back fan favorites whose presence while welcome felt superfluous due to storylines from previous years. In Season 3 it was Sherry Palmer and Nina Myers(who were both killed off when it became obvious there was nothing left for them to do). This year it appears to be the Logans. We'll see if they suffer a similar fate.

Season 3 still gets the nod over Season 6 for several reasons. First, we know Season 3 kicked some serious ass in its final third. The jury's still out on this year. Season 3 also still had a really good cast of characters who carried the show while it was mired in mediocrity. Not so with this season. And third and most importantly, the idea of the virus was fresh and hadn't been done before. We've already dealt with nukes, Presidential assassinations, shady VPs, and Islamofascists being used as pawns in a much larger scheme.
Old 03-07-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Loved it myself. Looks like the Russian plan is backfiring on them. Instead of have the US and the muslim nations fight each other, the US is planning to fight Russia. Since the bad russians seem to love their country they'll try to stop the plan, but the bad muslim guys won't have any of that.

The only thing I thought was bad was Jack not calling in before he tried to leave. To much time in prison maybe, so he just had to get out.
Old 03-07-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now, how many of you were making these type of negative comments about Season 3 and 4?
I think you'll find there's still quite a few people here who haven't "loved" 24 since it reached the halfway point of season 1, myself included.
Old 03-07-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
I think you'll find there's still quite a few people here who haven't "loved" 24 since it reached the halfway point of season 1, myself included.

And you still watch? If So..very impressive.
Old 03-07-07, 09:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Consulate to Jack Bauer: "In America, you capture bad guys. In Russia, bad guys capture YOU!"
Old 03-07-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"24" has been sitting on the DVR unwatched longer and longer each week. I definately don't watch it on Monday nights anymore.

It's no longer appointment TV for me and I can't really say why. I'm not saying that "its sucks" or "thats stupid," just that its the same thing over and over.

How about next season Jack gets stuck in a bank robbery in Texas, or uncovers a child abduction ring in Virginia? Does every story have to involve nukes, Presidents, and terrorists in California?
Old 03-07-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
And you still watch? If So..very impressive.
Is it now required that you must love a show to watch it?

I find it mostly entertaining, sometimes unintentionally funny, sometimes cheesy, sometimes suspenseful timewaster.

And I agree with cornflakeguy, it's been variations on the same themes every season. Not really the fault of the show, there isn't much left they haven't covered.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.