Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost my Lost (or, my DVR died and I need to complain)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 12:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Like most anyone that has one I imagine, I can't imagine watching TV without my DVR. I never watch live TV anymore.

I do a pretty good job of keeping up with my shows (The Office, Monk, The Naked Archeologist, House), but I had 20-30 hours of stuff saved on my DVD that I wanted to burn to DVD.

It was stuff likely to never be repeated or released on DVD, such as:

that great Boise State bowl game last month
a couple of the Lost recap shows that may or may not be put on the DVD sets

I turned on my cablebox for the first time in a week or so to find my recorded list and scheduled recording list totally blank. A call to Cox and a service visit confirmed the worst. My box had glitched, everything was gone, and there was no way to retrieve any of it (they say).

So not only did I miss/lose a couple weeks worth of all my favorite shows, but I lost all those never-to-be-seen-again specials. I hate Cox Cable, this now clear queue is making me research switching to Verizon Fios.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 02-22-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Fiesta Bowl seems to have been released this week. Buy.com and BestBuy.com seem to be the best online prices, at $15.99 and $16.99 respectively.
Old 02-22-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Cox DVR spazzed out last night as well, with 10 minutes left as it was about to come back from the last commercial break. We had to reset it as it was freezing, dropping audio, pixelating, and doing those in slow motion. Resetting the box fixed it, but we lost a minute or two after the commercial break.

We had Dish Network before and I loved everything about it- never any signal loss, great PQ, double the size DVR, and the whole guide/interface/remote organization, but we're stuck with Cox until we buy a house this summer. Counting the months.....
Old 02-22-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My aunt just had to return her Time Warner DVR for the very same problem.

I don't want to start a flame-war between Cable, Satellite, and standalone TiVos, but this is an honest question: Cable companies have been putting out DVRs for years now, why haven't these glitches been ironed out yet?
Old 02-22-07, 01:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I'm not sure about other cable companies, but Cox's DVR has been fairly mediocre for my 2 or so years with it. The scheduling is not as well done as TIVO, as it doesn't find shows that you schedule if they move time slots and it loses them alltogether if the show is preempted for more than a week. The hard drive is fairly small, maybe 40 hours total (non HD).
And all their boxes apparently have that issue where they like to reboot themselves every so often, causing you to miss about 2 minutes of a program if you were recording.

Anyone here have any experieince with Verizon Fios? They just hooked up my building, so I am seriously thinking of switching.
Old 02-22-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm not sure about other cable companies, but Cox's DVR has been fairly mediocre for my 2 or so years with it. The scheduling is not as well done as TIVO, as it doesn't find shows that you schedule if they move time slots and it loses them alltogether if the show is preempted for more than a week. The hard drive is fairly small, maybe 40 hours total (non HD).
And all their boxes apparently have that issue where they like to reboot themselves every so often, causing you to miss about 2 minutes of a program if you were recording.

Anyone here have any experieince with Verizon Fios? They just hooked up my building, so I am seriously thinking of switching.
It's being expanding in Virginia, and every single person I know who has it say they love it, but I've never seen it myself. Apparently where I live is too close to rivers and the ocean to lay the fiber.