Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 02:17 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Rome - "Philippi" - 2/18/07

"Philippi"
Spoiler:
Brutus and Cassius see their military advantage vanish in the wake of Octavian's new alliance with Mark Antony. In Rome, Vorenus receives orders to execute scores of Rome's elite, dividing the task among the Collegium's gang captains. Cicero attempts to warn Brutus of his army's danger, but is foiled by the arrival of Pullo at his villa. Mark Antony adds a few names to the list of condemned, as does Atia; Octavia and Vorena the Elder find themselves enchanted by unlikely suitors; Eirene shares some domestic news with Pullo; Levi and Timon precipitate a synagogue melee; and Atia gets Octavia to reveal a secret as Octavian heads out of Rome. On the plains of Philippi, two armies clash, with the future of Rome at stake.

No new episode next week, the next new episode is March 4th
Old 02-18-07, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantastic episode. My favorite scene was Titus at Cicero's villa. Also, I would hate to be the guy fucking with Vorenus' daughter.
Old 02-18-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
That one had just a tad bit of blood in it.

Loved Mark Antony in this episode - adding more names to the hit list and how nonchalant he was at the battle.
Old 02-18-07, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't Brutus and Cassius withdrew and later on they committed suicide? I couldn't remember...

Great episode tonight.
Old 02-19-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by McHawkson
Didn't Brutus and Cassius withdrew and later on they committed suicide? I couldn't remember...
it's been awhile since my Roman History class, but, Wikipedia says...
" After two battles at Philippi in Macedonia, the Caesarian army was victorious and Brutus and Cassius committed suicide (42 BC)."
Old 02-19-07, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
It looked like he committed suicide to me.

Got the daughter's boobies again.
Old 02-19-07, 02:38 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

The scenes from both camps before the battle were great. I loved Antony telling Octavian if he had to urinate to do it now, like a dad telling his kid before they for leave on a long ride.

Naked Octavia

I liked how proud Pullo looked when he found out Eirene was pregnant
Old 02-19-07, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Great episode tonight.
There were some large artistic liberties taken with their endings, including the methods and subsequent disposals of the bodies. They also left out an entire weeks earlier battle in which Brutus' forces defeated Octavian's and after which saw Cassius meet his demise.
Old 02-19-07, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
The scenes from both camps before the battle were great. I loved Antony telling Octavian if he had to urinate to do it now, like a dad telling his kid before they for leave on a long ride.

See, I took it a different way. I took it as "This is war kid, don't piss yourself". I feel it was more of a shot at Octavian than fatherly advice.
Old 02-19-07, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
See, I took it a different way. I took it as "This is war kid, don't piss yourself". I feel it was more of a shot at Octavian than fatherly advice.
It's how I saw it as well. Same goes for his riding off into battle knowing Octavian would have to stay behind.
Old 02-19-07, 07:52 AM

This was my favorite episode in the series. you can tell HBO tries to keep a cap on the budget of this show, and I bet creators were begging for a bump for this episode. It had to be done. They had to show this battle since previous battles had been skipped or washed over. but they had to show this one or the show wouldnt have worked.
What I have trouble with is the soldiers are a hired army, fighting for money and the spoils. But how could they build up the anger and rage needed to fight against men who were probably their past friends, simply for political gain of their leaders. After the battle the survivors probably just joined the other side.
Old 02-19-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
A lot of history covered in this ep. People can't be complaining that things are too slow. Despite the history, I like the quiet moments. Pullo and Cicero was great: "Excuse me ... sorry ... I have to kill you. Mind if I have a peach?"

Only 4 eps left, right? Still a whole lot to go through, if they want to end in history where I thought it would:
Spoiler:
Octavian defeats the others in the Triumverate, Antony and Cleopatra commit suicide, Octavian declares himself Augustus Caesar and Emperor of Rome.
Old 02-19-07, 02:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brainee
Only 4 eps left, right? Still a whole lot to go through, if they want to end in history where I thought it would:
Spoiler:
Octavian defeats the others in the Triumverate, Antony and Cleopatra commit suicide, Octavian declares himself Augustus Caesar and Emperor of Rome.
Spoiler:
They've made Lepidus out to be someone serving under Antony so I doubt he'll play much of a role and they'll just have it as Antony and Cleopatra vs Octavian. They did the same thing last season with the First Triumvirate where they focused on Caesar and Pompey Magnus while ignoring Crassus.
Old 02-19-07, 02:55 PM

AICN has fairly detailed summaries for the remaining episodes if anyone wants to know what happens. Obviously there are huge spoilers.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31624
Old 02-19-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brainee
Spoiler:
That's exactly what I expect to see at end of Rome series.

Spoiler:
Will they leave out Octavian made his sister to marry Antony? According to history, they got married and had 2 kids before Antony divorced her and ran off with Cleopatra.
Old 02-19-07, 04:01 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by birdseye
AICN has fairly detailed summaries for the remaining episodes if anyone wants to know what happens. Obviously there are huge spoilers.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31624
I'm guessing

Spoiler:
Pullo or Vorenus is going to be killed by the other in the finale
Old 02-19-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Spoiler:
Will they leave out Octavian made his sister to marry Antony? According to history, they got married and had 2 kids before Antony divorced her and ran off with Cleopatra.
Well, the answer to your spoiler question may have been addressed in the "Next time on Rome" preview at the end of the ep:

Spoiler:
I thought they had people talking about the need to formally join (family-wise) Octavian and Antony, with a shot of Octavia.
Old 02-20-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
"Nice peaches!"

I love Pullo.

Someone seriously needs to consider a Pullo solo TV series.
Old 02-23-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Finally saw the ep and it was fantastic. I despise HBO for only making it 2 seasons

So this season really is 10? They usually do bigs ep like this one before a break at the half way point. Are you sure its not the BBC only getting 10 eps? I think thats what happened to them for S1
Old 02-23-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by Sticky Bomb
What I have trouble with is the soldiers are a hired army, fighting for money and the spoils. But how could they build up the anger and rage needed to fight against men who were probably their past friends, simply for political gain of their leaders. After the battle the survivors probably just joined the other side.
In acient times, murder was a job, and its not like you could go on welfare to support your families...the Roman millitary was the ONLY way for a lower-than-peasant to become a respected man with land ownership.

PLUS, most of Octavians men were fighting for what they thought was the gohost of Ceasar, the man who lead them to riches in foerign lands against strange foes...while Brutus' men were fighting for the ghost of his grandfather, a true legend.
Old 02-23-07, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Spoiler:
Strange, because would not the same be accomplished with this marrying Polly Walker?