Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mulitple TV cameos- same show/different characters?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-14-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While watching "Seinfeld" DVD's and TBS re-runs over the past couple weeks, my wife and I noticed that Christa Miller (Jordan on "Scrubs") appeared in the show twice, playing different characters. She plays the woman who confronts George for touching her after his interview to be a bra salesman, and, IIRC, one of Jerry's girlfriends. Technically, they could be the same character. However, IMDB lists two different character names:

- The Doodle (1995) TV Episode .... Paula
- The Sniffing Accountant (1993) TV Episode .... Ellen

Did this happen other times during Seinfeld's run (other than with the use of Larry David's voice)? Did/Does it happen with other shows?

And, does it bother you when shows do this?
Old 02-14-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Garrett Dillahunt did it in "Deadwood". He played Wild Bill's killer and George Hearst's agent. I think he did a damn fine job on both.
Old 02-14-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

many, many times on Law & Order. Sometimes with a guest star who later becomes a series regular. Ice-T was first a drug dealer and then a cop. The police captain on the regular show was a witness or something before. I just remember she was a real bitch.
Old 02-14-07, 11:49 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Jerry Orbach was a defense attorney before he was Lennie

Diane Neal played a woman who raped a male stripper with 2 of her friends on SVU before she was Casey Novak
Old 02-14-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
James Cromwell has multi characters in Star Trek TNG series - so does another actor/actress.

Harry Morgan (well known as Col. Potter in MASH), he first appeared in MASH as Major General Steele 2 years before he joined MASH as main character as Potter.
Old 02-14-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
Jerry Orbach was a defense attorney before he was Lennie

Diane Neal played a woman who raped a male stripper with 2 of her friends on SVU before she was Casey Novak

Annie Parisse played a stripper in a previous episode before her run as ADA Borgia on L&O.

For Law & Order, it's actually harder to find repeat guest-stars who play the same character.
Old 02-14-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Would you count Shawn Ashmore appearing in Smallville as a freak of the week before his twin brother Aaron was cast as Jimmy Olson in Season 6?
Old 02-14-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Star Trek TOS -

William Campbell: The superbeing (brat) Trelane and Klingon Captain Koloth (in TOS and DS9).

Mark Lenard: Romulan Commander in Balance of Terror and Sarek in Journey to Babel (and 3 of the movies and a couple episodes in TNG). He also played the Klington captain at the beginning of ST:TMP.

Last edited by Red Dog; 02-14-07 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
THE BRADY BUNCH:

The prospecter that locked them up in the ghost town and Mike's boss who played pool against bobby were both played by Gilligan's Island's Thurston Howell.
Old 02-14-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

June Gable had a recurring role on Friends as Joey's agent, Estelle, and
she also played a nurse in the season 1 episode, "The One with the Birth".

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 02-14-07 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about Paul Rudd on Friends? I think he was another character for an episode or two prior to when he came on regularly as Phoebe's eventual husband.
Old 02-14-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The college TA on Veronica Mars played the janitor in the season before.
Old 02-14-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
There was a thread on this a long time ago.
Anyway, as I recall,

Ted McGinley played the imaginary husband of Peggy, Norman Jablonsky in the It's a wonderful Life parody episode on Married with Children. He came back a few years later as Jefferson D'Arcy.

Giovanni Ribisi played someone who dropped a condom in Phoebe's guitar case in The One with the Baby on the Bus on Friends and then came back to play Phoebe's half brother.
Old 02-14-07, 04:27 PM

Jon Lovitz played 3 separate characters on "NewsRadio". The first being "Fred" whom Bill McNeal befriends in a mental institution(Season 3). He returned in Season 4 to play a suicidal man who threatens to jump off the WNYX building. Finally, he shows up as Max Lewis, Bill McNeal's replacement, to finish out the show in season 5.
Old 02-14-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rachel Dratch on "30 Rock" immediately came to mind.
Old 02-14-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts
Originally Posted by McHawkson
Harry Morgan (well known as Col. Potter in MASH), he first appeared in MASH as Major General Steele 2 years before he joined MASH as main character as Potter.
and let's not forget Mako who played about a half dozen characters throughout the years...everything from Korean to Chinese to American.
Old 02-14-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 228 Likes on 133 Posts
Wayne Alexander played a number of different characters on Babylon 5, and there are probably half a dozen actors who have played multiple aliens/creatures on the various Trek and Whedon-verse series.
Old 02-14-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This isn’t exactly on topic but munch from Law & Order: SVU plays the same character as he did on Homicide: life on the street, Ned Beatty & Michael Michele who also starred on Homicide appeared as guest stars on L&0:svu as different people which fucks everything up.
The episode was directed by former ER cast member Eric La Salle who played Michael Michele’s love intrest on ER starting in Season 6 of ER.

wiki,
He has recently directed and made a cameo in an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
Eric also made a guest starring role in without a trac (it was a really good episode)

Ted McGinley played the imaginary husband of Peggy, Norman Jablonsky in the It's a wonderful Life parody episode on Married with Children. He came back a few years later as Jefferson D'Arcy.
i guess they thought fans wouldn't remember at the time, i saw that on the dvds cause i did start watching MWC on tv till season 7.
Old 02-14-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by McHawkson
James Cromwell has multi characters in Star Trek TNG series - so does another actor/actress.
Not Cameos but following have played different characters in multiple TREK shows and movies. I'msure there are more actors who've don this on Star Trek shows but I think these are the big ones. If you dig deeper some have even done different character voicework for videos games. I guess teh cool thing about these is the fact that they didn't just play different humans, they played different races.

Majel Barrett
Computer Voice
Christine Chapel
Deanna Troi's Mother

Jeffery Combs
Commander Shran
Weyoun

Gary Graham
Vulcan Ambassador Soval
Tanis

Tony Todd
Adult Jake Sisko
Kurn

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-14-07 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 11:05 PM

Adam Goldberg
Friends-as Eddie-Chandler's crazy roomate when Joey moved out
Joey-as Jimmy-Joey's best Friend from High School
Old 02-15-07, 12:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Joe Gannascoli in Sopranos
S1 - Guy in the pastry shop
s2 or s3-s06-Vito
Old 02-15-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It happened another time on Seinfeld. Suzanne Snyder was a neo nazi in the limo in one episode, and then later Jerry's date (the woman who wanted him to eat the pie) in "The Pie."
Old 02-15-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Jeffery Combs
Commander Shran
Weyoun
Just because I'm a big fan of Combs' Trek work, here's a bunch more:

Krem
Penk
Brunt
Tiron
Officer Mulkahey

I think Vaughn Armstrong even beats out Combs for the number of Trek characters he's played.
Old 02-15-07, 12:22 PM

Frank Adamo appeared on 24 episodes of the Dick Van Dyke Show, each time as a different character. A few of his more memorable rolls were as Usher, Dry Cleaning Man, Delivery Man, Partygoer and Headwaiter. He was Dick Van Dyke's assistant and stand-in.

Bill Idelson played Herman Glimscher, Sally's boyfriend, on five episodes of the Dick Van Dyke Show, then played the bellhop in the 4th season episode "Never Bathe on a Sunday".

Lucy Lawless played a different character on Hercules before she was cast for the 3 episode arc that would launch her into Xena.

Sean Gunn, who plays Kirk on Gilmore girls was "Mick" the handyman, then an unnamed delivery man in early episodes. I think it was his 3rd appearance where he got the name Kirk.
Old 02-15-07, 02:09 PM
Banned

A lot of this goes on in the Ten Thirteen shows but the "big one" is that Nicholas Lea played a one-off character in "Gender Bender" in the first season of "The X-Files" prior to appearing as Alex Krycek in seasons 2-9.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.