Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 01:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
How I Met Your Mother - "Lucky Penny" - 2/12/07

"Lucky Penny"
Spoiler:
A string of bad luck ensues when Ted picks up a lucky penny; Marshall's injured toe keeps him out of the New York City Marathon.
Old 02-12-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YOU ARE MARSHALL! YOU ARE MARSHALL!

I liked the 42 kilometers/26 miles line.

It was a funny episode, but they really need to stop with the flashback within a flashback episodes.
Old 02-12-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been catching up on S2, so I haven't seen this one yet, but I'm convinced had this show gone head to head with friends it would've run circles around it.
Old 02-12-07, 10:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Barney's line about not wanting to camp out because he had a penis was about the only laugh for me in the episode.
Old 02-12-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking

It was a funny episode, but they really need to stop with the flashback within a flashback episodes.
I'm really tired of that gimmick too.

The car alarm scene was best.

Two minor nitpicks. I tend to doubt that someone can run the NYC marathon with no preparation, and the NYPD doesn't normally tackle a turnstile jumper. Unless he's obviously deranged or, you know, black.
Old 02-12-07, 10:47 PM
Cool New Member

They actually got back to the original premise with the closing and future Ted again bringing the topic back to "How I Met Your Mother" with the flashback to the wedding ceremony. Kinda thought they were getting away from it a bit, but they had the kids on again recently, and now this, so who knows.
Old 02-12-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright, this is going to drive me crazy, so I am hoping that someone on here can help me out...

If I'm not mistaken, sometime last season, or earlier this season, there was a conversation in which something was about to be told to Marshall, but Robin (I believe) jumped in, and said "Ted found an old penny on the subway."

However, I cannot recall which episode. It's entirely possible that this did not in fact take place, and I am simply recollecting an incident that I have fabricated. However, should it have occured, that is some nice interplay between current and previous episodes.

EDIT: My mind is telling me that the episode in question may be the one in which Lily returns from San Fran. It may be in the conversation between Ted and Robin, in which Robin tells Ted that Lily is back, and Ted gets excited. Marshall then walks in, and asks why Ted is excited, to which Robin replies that he "found a penny on the subway."

I, unfortunately, do not have the episode in question, so I cannot go back to it for confirmation.

Last edited by invisiblegt; 02-13-07 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-13-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Alright, this is going to drive me crazy, so I am hoping that someone on here can help me out...

If I'm not mistaken, sometime last season, or earlier this season, there was a conversation in which something was about to be told to Marshall, but Robin (I believe) jumped in, and said "Ted found an old penny on the subway."

However, I cannot recall which episode. It's entirely possible that this did not in fact take place, and I am simply recollecting an incident that I have fabricated. However, should it have occured, that is some nice interplay between current and previous episodes.

EDIT: My mind is telling me that the episode in question may be the one in which Lily returns from San Fran. It may be in the conversation between Ted and Robin, in which Robin tells Ted that Lily is back, and Ted gets excited. Marshall then walks in, and asks why Ted is excited, to which Robin replies that he "found a penny on the subway."

I, unfortunately, do not have the episode in question, so I cannot go back to it for confirmation.
I noticed the same thing. I have the old episode so I went back to check. It's the second episode, The Scorpion and the Toad. Robin comes in and tells Ted she has big news, he also has big news, so she lets him go first and he starts telling her about the 1939 penny he found on the subway before she interrupts and tells him about Lily. Right after that Marshall comes in wondering what the excitement is, and Ted nearly tells him until Robin again interrupts and tells Marshall that Ted found an old penny on the subway.

This show is really paying attention to detail. Not only is it a 1939 penny both times, but tonight when we see Ted find it and the short scene of him talking to Robin about it in the bar, they're both in the same exact clothes they were back in the earlier episode when the penny is discussed.

Anyway, I really liked this episode, but I like most all of them. I'm really way too into this show.
Old 02-13-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Terrible episode for me, mostly because I hate stupid shit like the daisy-chaining of fallacious arguments they were using as to why an event (missing the plane) occurred. Plus, I think destiny's bullshit.
Old 02-13-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Would have preferred if the entire episode was about Barney, the marathon and his gambling problem. Is it really a gambling problem, though, if you're awesome at it?
Old 02-13-07, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Terrible episode for me, mostly because I hate stupid shit like the daisy-chaining of fallacious arguments they were using as to why an event (missing the plane) occurred. Plus, I think destiny's bullshit.
I knew you were destined to say that.
Old 02-13-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OMEagles
They actually got back to the original premise with the closing and future Ted again bringing the topic back to "How I Met Your Mother" with the flashback to the wedding ceremony. Kinda thought they were getting away from it a bit, but they had the kids on again recently, and now this, so who knows.
Looks like someone is getting married to Ted in three months. Is this going to be the season cliffhanger in May (3 months away)?
Old 02-13-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There were only two things I liked about last night's episode:

1) The elaborate dolly shot going through the airport in the very beginning (impressive for a multi-camera sitcom that is mostly shot on sets).
2) The awesome paying attention to detail to previous episodes. Besides The Office and Arrested Development (RIP), this happens to be one of the very few sitcoms that rewards the viewer for sticking with the show.

Other than that, the episode was one of the worst of the season. I liked the "singing along to a car alarm" joke better when Dane Cook did it two years ago.
Old 02-13-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, I also thought I rememberd something about an penny in a previous episode. Nice catch, and nice to know the producers (or whoever) have an attention to detail. I know I appreciated that.
Old 02-13-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I enjoyed watching Robin running through the airport.
Old 02-13-07, 12:02 PM

Maybe he'll end up meeting a girl named Penny/Penelope on the subway, who turns out to be his future wife.

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 02-13-07 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-13-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just don't know how they're going to get away from the Robin thing. He's built her up to be a godess of some sort in his retelling of the story. Then we're supposed to buy that it was someone else who became the love of his life?
Old 02-13-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure they will be broken up by the end of the season. They would have to be by at least mid-season next year in order to fit what they showed in the 'Single Stamina' episode.
Old 02-15-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No comments about Barney's subway ride? That was the best part of the episode. Loved the ending when those guys stole his medal.

And as usual, Robin looked really hot.
Old 02-15-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know exactly how Barney felt on the subway. When I was kid, I ran a 10-mile fundraiser race (with no training for that distance), and I was okay for the rest of the day, but then the next day came and I could not get out of bed for half of the day.
Old 02-15-07, 09:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardW
No comments about Barney's subway ride? That was the best part of the episode. Loved the ending when those guys stole his medal.

And as usual, Robin looked really hot.

"You don't want to see where they turn the subway around."

cause I've always wanted to see it.
Old 02-15-07, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
I noticed the same thing. I have the old episode so I went back to check. It's the second episode, The Scorpion and the Toad. Robin comes in and tells Ted she has big news, he also has big news, so she lets him go first and he starts telling her about the 1939 penny he found on the subway before she interrupts and tells him about Lily. Right after that Marshall comes in wondering what the excitement is, and Ted nearly tells him until Robin again interrupts and tells Marshall that Ted found an old penny on the subway.

This show is really paying attention to detail. Not only is it a 1939 penny both times, but tonight when we see Ted find it and the short scene of him talking to Robin about it in the bar, they're both in the same exact clothes they were back in the earlier episode when the penny is discussed.

They need to pay more attention then. Ted finds penny->sells it and buys Robin dinner->they tell the rest of the gang about the dress sale->wait in line->Robin startles Marshall who breaks his toe the day before the marathon.

Wouldn't all that marathon training have had to take place while Lily was gone for the summer?
Old 02-15-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichardW
I thought the subway with Barney was the best part. Altho I thought the best part was him trying to grab the railings while being trapped on the subway seat.
Old 02-16-07, 10:38 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tofu
I thought the subway with Barney was the best part. Altho I thought the best part was him trying to grab the railings while being trapped on the subway seat.
You're both wrong. They best part of Barney on the subway was the old lady calling him a 'douche'.