DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Friday Night Lights - "Blinders" - 2/07/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/491821-friday-night-lights-blinders-2-07-07-a.html)

MrX 02-07-07 10:17 AM

Friday Night Lights - "Blinders" - 2/07/07

"Blinders"
Spoiler:
Mac makes racial statements that test the team's bond; Tim and Billy adjust to having their father back in their lives; Tami worries about Julie's new friendship with Tyra; the girls play a game of powder-puff football.

boogieman03 02-07-07 10:21 AM

Sounds fun. Even though LOST is finally back, I'm looking forward to this show more.

Tommy_Harn 02-07-07 01:22 PM

Seeing that the preview for this week's episode shows the team in practice, I'm assuming
Spoiler:
they won their playoff game

Big Boy Laroux 02-07-07 02:00 PM

oh man, oh man... lyla and
Spoiler:
powder puff football?!?!?!?!

please god, let it be so!

aktick 02-07-07 08:12 PM

Well that was a rather annoying episode. I wish they would've at least wrapped it up in one ep.

Patman 02-07-07 08:49 PM

Found it funny how Coach went from being perturbed at Julie until she let him know that Matt was wanting her to play QB, and then he went into coach mode.

I thought Tyra was going to clothesline Lila before the game was over.

Landry was killing me as the referee.

The racism portion was a bit pedantic, but didn't mind the solidarity angle at the end.

aktick 02-07-07 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Patman

I love Landry. :lol:

MrX 02-07-07 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Patman

"Hey Lance, what kind of call is that":lol:

I loved how Mrs. Coach was laughing after Julie scamed her way out of trouble by telling him she was the QB.

Red Dog 02-08-07 08:04 AM

I didn't care for the racism storyline but I suppose they had to explore this subject at some point given it is Texas HS football in a smallish town.

The powderpuff stuff was great, particularly the Coach with QB-Julie and Landry as the referee.

Michael T Hudson 02-08-07 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I didn't care for the racism storyline but I suppose they had to explore this subject at some point given it is Texas HS football in a smallish town.

The powderpuff stuff was great, particularly the Coach with QB-Julie and Landry as the referee.

I have not read the book but I hear that a lot of it deals with racism in West Texas.

boogieman03 02-08-07 08:45 AM

Yea, the book does talk a good deal about the racial undertones of Odessa at that time. Still, good book.

As for the episode, I liked it. Landry's great. Coach forgetting about his daughter's troubles when he realized she was going to qb the Powder Puff team.
Nice hit by Tyra on Lyla.

Septemberbaby 02-08-07 08:58 AM

Another outstanding episode.

"There's no smell that's gonna get Julie not to hate me."

That pickup truck.. How exactly do they get the wheelchairs to the door?
I know they convert vans with gizmos and ramps.. not sure they they get in and out of that pickup?
And I would think driving would be a huge part of rehab.. it seemed to me that was the first time Jason drove.

Mr. Coach acting all Daddy like with Julie about her cutting class only to melt like butter when he found out she was QB in the Powder Puff game. :)

Timber 02-08-07 08:58 AM

I loved when Landry ran up to Riggins and signaled the TD right in his face.

Patman 02-08-07 09:38 AM

Who knew Riggins could emote and "get tough" with his team. I don't blame Matt for picking Tyra first, she's 5'11", a head taller than most of the girls. Of course, his lamenting picking Julie 3rd was quite humorous.

JediMindTricks 02-08-07 10:07 AM

another great episode...i'm starting to look forward to this show more than heroes.

some of my favorite scenes:
- when julie comes home, and coach taylor's being all authoritative and a disciplinarian. then when julie says she's the qb, his voice softens up and runs after her. the scene where he's teaching her the plays was well done.

- landry as the ref. "you're on my line"...and when he puts his arms up after the touchdown in front of riggins.

- when landry tells matt to find out what cologne coach taylor uses

i didn't care much for the racism storyline, but i understand that it's something that's relevant, especially in a small texas town. but i did like the walk off at the end.

aJOHNymous 02-08-07 10:12 AM

does anyone know how this show has been doing in the ratings recently? I'd hate to see this get tentatively re-newed for a second season and end this one with open storylines just to see NBC cancel it completely before we even get to wrap things up. do they have long term faith in a sophomore effort or is this show DOA for a second season?

If they cancel this show, I will be really peeved. I haven't gotten this attached to a new show since the first few episodes of Lost: Season 1 (poor comparison, I know).

Brent_MN 02-08-07 11:06 AM

well, the peeps at NBC seem to really want this show to succeed, so that may help, at least for one more season. or half of one. :)

MrX 02-08-07 11:06 AM

The guy in charge of programming at NBC has said as long as the ratings hold steady, which they have been, it will get a second season; he's a big fan of the show.

BenboC 02-08-07 12:21 PM

The ratings are being charted at wikipedia. So far, they seem pretty consistant the last few weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_...vision_Ratings

I remember they had a mini-marathon before the show returned with new episodes in January. Apparently it seems to have bumped up the ratings a little bit. :)

Patman 02-08-07 12:22 PM

FNL might lose some rating points once Jericho returns in 2 weeks.

vinhj 02-08-07 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
- when landry tells matt to find out what cologne coach taylor uses

I think it was soap. Right when he said that another awkward scene with Matt trying to weasel information out of the coach popped up in my head. I'm glad Matt immediately shot down that idea :lol:

jonw9 02-08-07 01:41 PM

I was kinda miffed there was more PP football action then for the actual team.

A decent episode. Smash's back and forth (most likely due to Waverly) was kinda annoying.

Timber 02-08-07 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by jonw9
I was kinda miffed there was more PP football action then for the actual team.

How many more episodes are left? It seems that they burned through the football games kind of early.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 02-08-07 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Timber
How many more episodes are left? It seems that they burned through the football games kind of early.

this was episode 15, so 7 more? Did it get a full season?

jman250 02-08-07 03:27 PM

Anyone know what the name of the song that was playing while Julie was running her game winning TD?