Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rules of Engagement, Series Premiere 2/5

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rules of Engagement, Series Premiere 2/5

The only thing I found upon searching was the dates for its launch.

Did anyone else catch this? I thought the premiere episode was better than other recent comedies' first eps. Warburton was pretty good and Spade wasn't really annoying. It had quite a few laughs.

However it seemed a little choppy to me, switching back and forth between the 2 couples and Spade's character... the changes just seemed abrupt. The scenery/sets looked really crowded and tiny, making for very small spaces. Too tight and closed in for my tastes, but maybe that will change. I'll tune in for a few weeks and see how it goes.
Old 02-06-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Forgot this was even on. I am always very skeptical of this type of formulaic sitcom. That being said, I am a fan of David Spade's brand of humor.
Old 02-06-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the entire cast on this one (except for Spade, who is hit-and-miss with me) but I thought the pilot was pretty terrible. They recycled the same married-people jokes that bog down every sitcom with married characters. I'm just about done with the genre altogether (outside of the current Thursday Night NBC).
Old 02-06-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Against 24 and Hereos. Great idea. Even those of use with dual tuners can't take part.

I will have to do some searching, but I will find it.
Old 02-06-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the Showbiz Show ever coming back? I thought that was pretty good.
Old 02-06-07, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Against 24 and Hereos. Great idea. Even those of use with dual tuners can't take part.

I will have to do some searching, but I will find it.
DVR 24 and heroes and watch without commercials. then watch this on another tv.

believe it or not this show beat 24 in the 18-49 demographic last night. i thought it was really funny. warburton was awesome. i think he was perfectly cast for this. i think his interaction with spade is great too. the two of them put a nice new feel to this relationship sitcom.
Old 02-06-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Is the Showbiz Show ever coming back? I thought that was pretty good.
Yes, sometime later this month by last report.
Old 02-06-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got around to seeing this. Patrick Warburton was OK, but generally speaking there was too little Davis Spade...and too much everyone else. Plus, the blatant laugh track was especially annoying.
Old 02-07-07, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the first laugh track sitcom I purposefully watched since Seinfeld (laugh tracks drive me up the wall). It wasn't really that bad, but not something I'll watch again.
Old 02-07-07, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I though there was zero cast chemistry in this pilot, and I have no idea why Oliver Hudson continues to get acting jobs in Hollywood. At least the other Dawson's Creek alumnus, Bianca Kajlich, is easy on the eyes. Warburton was too lowkey, and didn't have good lines. Spade was spade, but not enough of his character to produce much in terms of laughs.
Old 02-07-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dammit! I missed this and I reall wanted to see it since Im a fan of Patrick Warburton. Are they showing this on the net somewhere?
Old 02-07-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Dammit! I missed this and I reall wanted to see it since Im a fan of Patrick Warburton. Are they showing this on the net somewhere?
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/rules_of_engagement/

Click on Video, then, Full Episodes, at which point you can click on Watch next to 'Pilot.' It splits the episode into 3 parts, so they can put ads in, but hey, it works.
Old 02-07-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched it myself and I must say that it was very uneven. The laugh track was also pretty annoying. There were some decent moments, and, only maybe 2 or 3 actual moments where I was laughing. I might check out another episode or two, but, it remains to be seen whether it is remotely worth watching.
Old 02-07-07, 05:31 PM

i thought it was funny. give it some time to pick up steam. the pilot of eny episode has to do a lot of set up. im sure in the future we will get to see more of funnyman spade. but i hope they do that without chopping out any of warburton. he was soo good.
Old 02-07-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Patrick Warburton's character reminds me of Jim Gaffigan's character on My Boys. It's like we get to see the at home side of him.

Definitely very uneven. I really like Warburton, but I am not hopeful for this show.
Old 02-07-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i know it isn't the same show but "rules of engagement" reminds me of "out of practice" and that other show which was paried with it at one point on wed. i think it was.

this show will be shifted around until cbs cancels it. but the ratings were great for the show last night paried but with "two and a half men" beat both "24" & "Heroes".

i don't see this show lasting 9 years, but i see it might being one of those 5 year shows that at the very end will finally get cancelled due to poor ratings.
Old 02-08-07, 05:48 PM

i think a lot of people say that about new sitcoms. everyone gets so nervous. but everyone also forgets seinfeld has bad ratings at first. it takes time for a sitcom to get into a grove. i think they did pretty good with the first episode and look forward to seeing more of warburton and spade...and if the ratings are any indication...ill get my wish.
Old 02-08-07, 07:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Really? I have a dual tuner and I wouldn't watch either of those shows if they were the only thing on TV.

This show left me wanting more. I laughed several times, but the laugh track made me cringe. WhyTF do they still do that?
Old 02-08-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
I laughed several times, but the laugh track made me cringe. WhyTF do they still do that?
I was talking about this with someone today. I couldn't think of a single laugh track show I have ever liked, except Get a Life -- which broke every rule in its singular greatness. It just smacks of desperation and cheapness. The one Rules of Engagement used was even more obnoxious than most.
Old 02-10-07, 01:52 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
It reminded me of Til' Death with an just an extra character.

Oliver Hudson was god-awful. I'll give it a few more tries jus for Bianca Kajlich and Megyn Price
Old 02-12-07, 09:37 AM

i like it better than til' death. i love patrick warburton. he is sooo funny and i really like his interaction with spade. i think having the single guy on the show really helps the show with the relationship theme. looking forward to checking out the next episode tonight.
Old 02-12-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that just the way Patrick Warburton is, or was he playing the character as Seinfeld's Puddy?
Old 02-12-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fernsita
i like it better than til' death. i love patrick warburton. he is sooo funny and i really like his interaction with spade. i think having the single guy on the show really helps the show with the relationship theme. looking forward to checking out the next episode tonight.
I'm looking forward to it as well, although I really like Till Death. I started watching it for Eddie Kaye Thomas who I liked in the American Pie movies and one of my favorite cancelled shows Off Centre, but found that I thought Brad Garrett was pretty good. I didn't like him at all in Everybody Loves Raymond, but like him in Till Death.
Old 02-13-07, 04:50 PM

did you guys watch last night? another great episode...i nearly died laughing. the cast really works well together. cant wait to tune in next week.
Old 02-13-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched it last night, and apparently got pretty good ratings. Again I thought it was funny, but can see the annoying laugh track people were talking about... I didn't quite notice it on the first episode. Also I can see Oliver Hudson as possibly a poor choice, but the rest were superb IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.