TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supernatural -- "Night Shifter" -- 01/25/07

Old 01-25-07, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 202 Posts
Supernatural -- "Night Shifter" -- 01/25/07

"Night Shifter"
Spoiler:
Sam and Dean investigate robberies in which trusted employees hold up banks then commit suicide, but autopsy results indicate the actual times of death as being several days before the robberies.

Originally Aired: January 25, 2007
Old 01-26-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did no one watch this?!?
Old 01-26-07, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did!
Old 01-26-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts
I saw it too! A solid episode. Any else get a Jack Black vibe off the "mandroid" guy?
Old 01-26-07, 10:01 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

New characters and a new plot device to keep the tension high ... maybe this show is planning to stick around for a while.
Old 01-26-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was great to finally have the return of some great classic rock. This season has been pretty weak on the music in my opinion. Last year it seemed out of place if an episode didn't have a good song in it. This year it seems out of place when there is a great song. And that Styx song couldn't have been more perfect.

The mandroid bit was also pretty damn funny.
Old 01-26-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
I liked this episode a lot.

General thoughts:

- Ron was a good character - good enough that I felt truly sad when he was killed.

- The end fight between Dean and the Shapeshifter (aka "Mandroid") was very tense and brutal (pretty impressive in realism for a TV series).

- So a group within the FBI (...say in the basement with files under the letter "X" ) know about the Winchesters, think they are dangerous and are looking for them. Definitely an interesting plot wrinkle to add to the show.

- And I wonder if Dean ever called that girl from the jewelry store?
Old 01-27-07, 10:39 AM

"I like him.... he says okie dokie."
Old 01-27-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And one more thought:

- Shouldn't Sam realize he's partially responsible for the whole bank situation as well as Ron's death? If Sam hadn't lied to Ron when they were pretending to be FBI agents, Ron would not have thought he was still on his own and would not have assaulted the bank on his own in the first place. This episode should've had a scene of Sam saying he screwed up by lying to Ron.
Old 01-27-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
And one more thought:

- Shouldn't Sam realize he's partially responsible for the whole bank situation as well as Ron's death? If Sam hadn't lied to Ron when they were pretending to be FBI agents, Ron would not have thought he was still on his own and would not have assaulted the bank on his own in the first place. This episode should've had a scene of Sam saying he screwed up by lying to Ron.
I don't think its fair to lay the responsibility on Sam. Look at it from his point of view. There are conspiracy nuts all over -- and I'm sure they've run into more than their share of them. It's a huge leap going from being a conspiracy nut to being the kind to invade a bank with automatic weapons. The guy probably didn't impress them (at first) as being violent. If they confirmed his theories, he would've wanted in. And being completely naive and ignorant about the dangers of battling the supernatural, he likely would've gotten himself killed. So Sam did what he thought was the best thing for the guy -- try to burst his bubble about the "mandroids", and instill enough doubt so at least he would stay out of the picture until he and Dean could take care of things. Obviously didn't work out. But if Sam told him the truth, he would've wanted to go with the brothers. They would've said no, no doubt. And then we're back to things where they started -- the guy taking things into his own hands.
Old 01-27-07, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
I don't think its fair to lay the responsibility on Sam.
I'm just laying some of the responsibility at Sam's feet. He should've known lying to Ron wouldn't stop him from continuing to try to track down the "Mandroid" so he should not have even tried it. And by lying to him, instead of letting him know they believed him and earning his trust, lead directly to him being a loose cannon completely on his own.
Old 01-28-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i look at it more as sam trying to 'talk some sense' into the guy to stop looking for conspiracies, etc.... he knew the shapeshifter was dangerous and didn't want this guy messing with it. but it backfired.

good overall episode. they could have way overcomplicated the episode...but they didn't. good job there. wonder if they'll come up with an fbi agent that 'is on their side' to counteract the one that seems all kind of ticked off at them.
Old 01-29-07, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great ending to the episode. Not the obvious "how will they escape", but the realization of the deep doo-doo they're finding themselves in.
Old 01-30-07, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 202 Posts
A great episode. I love how they revisit previous incidents/cases and bring a new twist to it like the FBI agent knowing who they are.

Too bad this show has a 50/50 chance of making it to a third season.
Old 01-30-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crankyman
i look at it more as sam trying to 'talk some sense' into the guy to stop looking for conspiracies, etc.... he knew the shapeshifter was dangerous and didn't want this guy messing with it. but it backfired.
Only sort of, in my opinion. Sam was concerned for Ron's safety because he knew that the shape shifter would "tear him apart". Either way, Ron was going to end up in that bank ending up as either another victim of the shape shifter or sniper fodder. Thing is about the FBI showing up... they would realize from the remaining bank staff that no one was attempting to rob the bank, that the 3 "crimes" were linked and that Sherry was alive and so who the heck is her "look alike"? Surely the FBI would "x-file" that one but not without trying to figure out what was really happening.

Originally Posted by Lorenzo
Too bad this show has a 50/50 chance of making it to a third season.
Why do you say that? Aside from Gilmore Girls and possibly Smallville, isn't this one of the higher rated shows on the CW? True that sticking it on a Thursday and not repeating it on Sundays wasn't the smartest idea but still.
Old 01-30-07, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Why do you say that? Aside from Gilmore Girls and possibly Smallville, isn't this one of the higher rated shows on the CW? True that sticking it on a Thursday and not repeating it on Sundays wasn't the smartest idea but still.
Supernatural's numbers have not always been great or consistent. America's Next Top Model consistently kicks its ass when its on. Smackdown kicks it's ass on a regular basis. I've seen them beaten by One Tree Hill for god's sakes! I just wish everyone would watch Supernatural live and TiVO or DVDR the other shows instead. Because I can guarantee you that none of the other Thursday 9pm shows are in danger of cancellation.

Anyway, the 50/50 sentiment came straight from the horse's mouth. Fans have been in a tizzy after reading this and all sorts of 'Save Supernatual' campaigns have popped up in the last few days.

E!Online
Question: Do you have any scoop about Supernatural? Will it be back for a third season? Ana

Ausiello: Your guess is as good as Kripke's. When I spoke with him, he put the show's chances at "solidly, solidly 50-50," then offered his "honest attitude," which, frankly, was the last thing I expected from anyone at press tour. "I wish we had a million to a half-million more viewers," he admitted. "I think those X-Files fans are out there. We're just struggling to get the word out that there's an X-Files-quality show on the CW. And it's hard to get the viewers who are not watching Grey's Anatomy or CSI. We're sort of the odd duck on the network, so we're trying to let people know that there's a hard, sci-fi-genre show that just happens to be on the CW." Should the show get picked up for a third season, Kripke already has an arc story in mind to scare up those X-philes he wants so badly. "We keep talking over and over about how there's a war that's about to begin between demons and humans, and things keep feeling like they're going to escalate higher and higher," he observed. "In the season finale of Season 2, definitively, the war begins, and the boys spend much of Season 3 scrambling, with things getting worse and worse."
Old 01-31-07, 01:47 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Just had a chance to watch it and I agree that it was a great episode.

Perfect song at the end.
Old 01-31-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The best way to get the X-Files fans is to move this show to Sunday nights at 9pm (ET).