Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So I Just Started Watching Smallville..

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
So I Just Started Watching Smallville..

I recently found season one for pretty cheap so I decided to see if it was any good. I'm about 12 episodes into season one and I have 2 questions.

1) Whats with the whole getting thrown through glass thing? It seems to happen to someone almost every episode. Did the directors just think this was cool or is there some sort of inside joke in there?

2) So far I'm enjoying season one, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to shell out to get the rest of the seasons. Does the show get much better after season one, is it worth picking it up?
Old 12-30-06, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unfortunately, it's gotten worse each season
Old 12-30-06, 04:47 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Honestly there are decent episodes here and there in each season but there are a LOT of disappointing ones

Id rent the dvds
Old 12-30-06, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chauzer
I really enjoyed the show and would regularly defend it, but the reality is that for the show to work, it kind of has to stay stuck in the status quo to some degree. This worked OK for the first few seasons, but the show is now on season 6. Tom Welling is actually older than Brandon Routh for goodness sake.

I actually stopped watching the show after episode 100, so I can't honestly speak past that point. However, I've read synopsis of every episode since then. It seems that the writers are trying to have their cake and eat it too. They're following the "no tights, no flights" mandate of the show, but they're also continuously introducing elements of the Superman (not Superboy!) mythos to the show.
Old 12-30-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think on an average for every Smallville season you get a 1.5 horrible episode to 1 great episode ratio and that's the funny thing, Smallville is either fantastic, filled with character development and a leap in the story or its a truck stuck in the mud it isn't going anywhere.

However, if you are one of those types of people that can look at the whole and not the individual, the show is awesome, that's how I look at it. Yeah, you get a lot of shit episodes, which are still mildly entertaining by the way, just a little generic in terms of the show itself. On the other hand; the 'big picture', the whole story, the majority of the characters are surprisingly interesting and at time will keep you guessing. If you are a big Superman fan, I suggest you continue watching because it's fun to find out how it all began, and if you're not a Superman I suggest you still give it the chance with S2 because it is fun.

Last edited by JohnSlider; 12-30-06 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-30-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
As stated earlier...the show really dies (ala Alias) after season 2 IMO. Although I can't speak for season 5 & 6.
Old 12-30-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When watching Smallville, there is a formula to skip all the crap-ass episodes.

Watch premiere .
Watch finale.

Repeat for each season. You may miss one or two decent episodes in the process, but you'll save yourself a lot of grief in the long run.
Old 12-30-06, 12:14 PM

Season 2 is still my favorite season. It's got the first (of 2) Christopher Reeve eps, which is still my favorite episode. After that, rent, and the premiere/finale formula is a good one to follow.
Old 12-30-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chauzer
Ditto this comment.
Old 12-30-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Most definitely.
Old 12-30-06, 04:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
1) Whats with the whole getting thrown through glass thing? It seems to happen to someone almost every episode. Did the directors just think this was cool or is there some sort of inside joke in there?
That's not as bad as everyone getting knocked out just before Clark arrives to save the day.

I don't have the all out hate that othesr have for the show, but there have been stories that felt like they were never going to end (the caves) and the Clark/Lana stuff gets old halfway through season 1 and just goes on and on.
Old 12-30-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Required reading for anyone who's griped about Smallville.

Nice to know someone's keeping track of that kinda stuff.
Old 12-30-06, 06:35 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Required reading for anyone who's griped about Smallville.

Nice to know someone's keeping track of that kinda stuff.

Lex and Lana should both have severe brain damage by now

There's a spoiler on that page if you haven't seen season 5 yet
Old 12-30-06, 06:54 PM

I've been watching this show since the beggining. Can someone explain to me what it is that Clark has been doing since last season? I don't know if he works on the farm, or is in school, or is just hanging around?
Old 12-30-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think he has just been hanging around.

The show is a nice diversion. I like the characters and their interactions. Sometime they could aim a bit higher but don't. The reset button at the end of the 100th episode was pretty much unforgivable but I keep watching anyway.
They really should end it soon though.
Old 12-30-06, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's pretty easy to get most of the season sets for cheap these days. Seems like somebody's always got the first few seasons on sale for $24.99 or less, or "But One, Get One Free", so it's relatively inexpensive to pick up the show on DVD.

Myself, I gave up on actually watching the show during it's regular airings about midway through Season 4, and now just buy and watch it on DVD. Since I'm still a fan, despite some decline in the show over the years, and I know I'll pick up the DVD's anyway - this way it's a little more worth it when I do, as it's all new to me then.
Old 12-31-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
Although I can't speak for season 5 & 6.
5 (season-long Braininac story arc) and 6 (green arrow) were/are GIANT leaps up from the craptasm of 3&4's witchcraft tattoo shit

Last edited by GuessWho; 12-31-06 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-31-06, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Season 4 was a low one for me. 5 was pretty good as 6 is right now. I look forward to it each week.

I know people whine about the Kryptonite villians but they have to get something to give Clark some sort of challenge & an excuse to show off his powers. I do have to admit I have no idea how he can possibly become Superman and Lex not know who he is. Lex has hung around him for years and already suspects he has powers.
Old 12-31-06, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seasons 1-3 are my favorite seasons of Smallville with season 2 being my overall favorite. I still enjoy the show and catch it every week though. There's really only been a handful of episodes I did not enjoy (those being "Ageless" and the recent one were Clark helps an illegal alien).
Old 12-31-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
As stated earlier...the show really dies (ala Alias) after season 2 IMO. Although I can't speak for season 5 & 6.
I completely agree with this. In fact, I'm not sure if I even made it through season 3. I might have made it through season 3 and then bailed in the fourth season. The show just quit being interesting to me and it began to feel more and more like a chore to watch. Once I start feeling like that, it's time to drop a show.
Old 01-01-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
I recently found season one for pretty cheap so I decided to see if it was any good. I'm about 12 episodes into season one and I have 2 questions.

Dramatic license. Kind of the same this as all the police detectives on shows beib=ng able to solve bizarre murder cases neatly in a weeks time slot.
Old 01-01-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I bailed halfway through Season 4 but picked it back up for Season 5 and now 6 - I think the show is much improved, and if nothing else we usually get some decent eye candy from the various ladies.
Old 01-01-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I just watched all 5 seasons in 2006 on DVD and am now watching 6 as it airs. So I was in the same boat this time last year.

I don't get the hate for season 3. Two is the best, IMO. They get away from the FOTW(aka who was infective by kryptonite this week) episodes and start delving into myth-arc plotlines. Three continued this and was good, just not as great.

I'd read horror stories about season 4 but kept my mind open and well... it didn't help. Season 4 is as craptacular as you read about. There are a few decent episodes but on the whole, that whole season is a wash. It is like they hired a whole new writing staff and tried to tailor the show to the sexed up OC crowd.

Five got the show back on track and was pretty good overall, and six has continued along that line although the further along the show goes the further away from Smallville it gets. It's not a bad thing, just at this point the title of the show has been rendered irrelevant.

Originally Posted by John Slider
However, if you are one of those types of people that can look at the whole and not the individual, the show is awesome, that's how I look at it. Yeah, you get a lot of shit episodes, which are still mildly entertaining by the way, just a little generic in terms of the show itself. On the other hand; the 'big picture', the whole story, the majority of the characters are surprisingly interesting and at time will keep you guessing. If you are a big Superman fan, I suggest you continue watching because it's fun to find out how it all began, and if you're not a Superman I suggest you still give it the chance with S2 because it is fun.
Well said.
Old 01-01-07, 04:40 PM
Cool New Member

I think the producers really did a disservice to themselves by imposing that "no flights, no tights" rule. It limited them from the very beginning as to how much the character of Clark could develop.
Old 01-01-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i am in the same boat as the OP. i picked up season 1 for 15.99 and wanted to get the other seasons, but wanted to wait for a good deal. overall, i think i will stick with it and check out the other seasons. always enjoyed superman!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.