Reload this Page >

Best/Worst shows new shows of 2006-07 TV Season

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-15-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

We're now almost halfway down with the 2006-07 TV season. Since noone has started this topic, I was wondering what some of you thought was the best and worst new shows this season?

For me:

Best:
Heroes: Freshest and most original show.
Shark: James Woods was perfectly casted. His charm made this show work

Worst:
Vanished: Mainly for the inconsistent writing and poor conclusion
Six Degrees: What was this show about?
Old 12-15-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dexter, Heroes.
Old 12-15-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well.. Sorry if I sound like a broken record, I have to say that Friday Night Lights is the best thing on Tv right now. And I was expecting it to stink. I thought it was going to be dark and depressing like the movie... and all about football. I've been pleasantly surprised and very happy I stuck w/ it after the so-so pilot.
Heroes also has been a pleasant surprise.

Worst: I don't have one. The ones that didn't make it... The Nine, 6º.. weren't horrible, they just didn't get a chance.

Now, there are a couple that I'm watching but wouldn't miss if they left tomorrow and I don't think they're horrible..... they would be: Shark, Jericho and Ugly Betty.. which I have about 5 piled up(not a good sign).
Old 12-15-06, 09:00 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
Good: "Heroes", "Shark", "Studio 60", and "The Class"

Worst: "Help Me Help You" and "30 Rock"
Old 12-15-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Of what I've seen:

Best:
Friday Night Lights
Shark

Worst:
Heroes
Old 12-15-06, 10:22 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. 30 Rock
2. Kidnapped
3. Heroes
4. Brothers and Sisters
5. Friday Night Lights
6. Nine
7. Daybreak
8. Studio 60
9. Class
10. Jericho

I missed out on keeping up with Kidnapped on the web. I loved the first couple episodes. The cinematography on that show was amazing, but the writing did start to fade a bit before it was cancelled. I go back and forth on how I feel about Heroes, but none of the new shows have been that great this season so it definitely deserves that spot. The only show on the list I'm behind on is Brothers and Sisters. I don't know how it's held up, but I've been really impressed by all the episodes I've seen. I feel a little biased toward FNL because I love Explosions in the Sky so much, but it is really well done. My bias must not be too strong though because I was very disappointed in the movie. The Class hasn't been that great, but it's pretty damn good for a multi-camera show. Studio 60 and Jericho have been enormously disappointing, but they're still decent.

Ugly Betty is the only really terrible thing I've seen this season, but I only made it through part of the pilot, so I'm sure it could have gotten much better. Shark was pretty bad too.
Old 12-15-06, 10:29 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
The Good:
30 Rock
Dexter
Kidnapped
Studio 60
Heroes
Friday Night Lights
Brothers & Sisters
Ugly Betty

The Bad: aka Shows I gave up on
Shark
The Nine
Six Degrees
Old 12-15-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

best
Heroes (amazing)
Studio 60
30 Rock
Ugly Betty
The Nine

worst
Jericho (just has so much potential. still pretty good though, could be awesome
Old 12-15-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best:
BROTHERS AND SISTERS
MEN IN TREES

Worst:
DAY BREAK
TILL DEATH
Old 12-15-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best :
Heroes
30 Rock
Dexter

Worst :
Jericho
The Nine
Old 12-16-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only ones I watch are Studio 60 and The Class, and I love them both.

Rob
Old 12-16-06, 02:58 AM

I'd rank the shows I've seen at least one episode of this way:

(the good)
Brothers and Sisters
30 Rock
Men in Trees
Studio 60
Day Break
Heroes
Help Me Help You
Ugly Betty
Friday Night Lights

(not so good)
The Nine
Smith
Shark
Big Day
The Class

I watched an early episode of two of these shows - Vanished or Standoff or Kidnapped - but I can't remember which two they were! So I guess those are at the bottom of the list.
Old 12-16-06, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The ones that I like and watch every week:
- Ugly Betty
- Shark
- Men In Trees
- 30 Rock
- Heroes

The ones that I couldn't get into:
- The Class
- The Nine
- Smith
- Six Degrees
- Studio 60

The only new show that I'm watching and I'm on the fence about since it hasn't won me over is Jericho.
Old 12-16-06, 07:27 AM
Banned

Best: 30 Rock One of the most consistently funny, best-acted, smartly-written comedies in years (well, at least since My Name is Earl last season. Any show that can have me watching Alec Baldwin without cringing has to be special. Casting him as a conservative was a stroke of genius). Can't believe people prefer The Office to this (after seeing Ricky Gervais' version, it's really hard for us to get into this pale imitation of the classic original).

Worst: Twenty Good Years (or whatever the title of the show "featuring" John Lithgow & Jeffrey Tambor).What a waste of talent...I imagine the leads must have taken several showers each day after shooting concluded in order to wash off the stink form this turkey.

BTW...My nomination for worst returning show is Boston Legal. Not that it's jumped the shark (its whole shtick from the beginning was to be outrageous...although it seems that David Kelly or someone at the top is a little too preoccupied with incest this season, since it keeps croppin up as a plot deviceJ). No, it's not the outrageousness of the plots...it's the blatant, over-the-top political sledgehammering that is required for nearly every episode. Clever writers can insert subtle little digs (see 30 Rock above) without alienating viewers, but David Kelly seems to demand that the writers shove his favorite liberal topics & conservative whipping boys in the faces of the audience...even when it has nothing to do with the plot. This has been a tendency of Kelly going back to his Pickett Fences, Ally McBeal, The Practice, & other days (don't even remember which hospital show he did...Chicago Hope, maybe?), but at least he used to alternate episodes & gave "lip service" to presenting both sides (although the "resolution" of the controversial issue always came down squarely on the liberal side...a stacked -deck argument was usually presented while giving the surface appearance of being "even-handed"). Now, he doesn't even bother to try to appear neutral. He just unloads his surrogate (Alan Shore) to espouse his political/social views. The other night we got a two-fer (white supremacy bad...what a revelation! along with another favorite...probably Bush-bashing or Iraq, which has become a staple of the show). If Kelly is trying to change minds, he's failing miserably...his heavy-handed approach is only succeeding in "preaching to the choir" and ruining the entertainment value of his show. The trial scenes are laughably bad; the show used to find a plausible (if a little bizarre or preposterous) reason for acquittal in a seemingly "unwinnable" case. Now they don't even try. Shore makes his (Kelly's) political points in the final summation and the jury acquits. Doesn't matter what the facts are or what the law says. It's a foregone conclusion that the defendant will be acquitted.
If the show wanted to be 'cutting edge', the "White Supremacist" storyline would have been changed to present a minority family esposing "Black Power", "Latino Power", "Asian Power", etc. and have a family member trying to wrest the kids away from the family. That would more effectively make the point that racism is bad than the tired, sad plot dragged out for display (would Alan Shore have acted so disgusted toward his clients had they not been white?). If David Kelly wants to espouse his personal causes in public, so be it...just don't shove it down our throats every week (which won't happen any longer since we have give up on the show as being unredeemable at this point). It is amusing to find critics lining up to say they don't watch or listen to media coming from a "religious" viewpoint because they find it too "preachy" ("I go to the movies to be entertained, not to be 'preached at"," etc.) yet they hold their tongues when it comes to shows such as Boston Legal...which has (somewhat predictably, given the creator/producer) become the preachiest show on tv.

Last edited by creekdipper; 12-16-06 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-16-06, 09:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Best: Man vs Wild

Worst (of ones I've seen anyway): Ugly Betty, Heroes
Old 12-16-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Liked:

Heroes
Friday Night Lights
Justice
30 Rock
Shark
Til Death
Jericho

Hated:

Studio 60
The Nine
Vanished
Old 12-16-06, 11:19 AM

worst: the nine
Old 12-16-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
"Best" : Heroes, Ugly Betty

"Worst" : Both of the shows I was interested in watching, I liked. (See above) To be fair though, I have been archiving the following shows: the Nine, Six Degrees, Dexter and Daybreak. But I haven't watched any episodes and I don't know if/when i'll ever get around to it.
Old 12-16-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 332 Likes on 217 Posts
Best: Dexter
Runner up: Heroes

Worst--I don't know since I'm pretty quick to drop a show that's uninteresting to me.
Old 12-17-06, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm absolutely loving Dexter, followed by Heroes and 30 Rock. I don't waste much time on anything marginal IMO as I'm sure there are folks out there that think that the above are marginal :wink:
Old 12-18-06, 12:05 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sparrow
I'm absolutely loving Dexter, followed by Heroes and 30 Rock.
That's my "best" list exactly, in the same order.

No real "worst" for me; "Justice" was okay, but I wasn't all that bothered when it was canceled. I've been watching "Shark", but I can take it or leave it; it doesn't really fall into either the best or worst category. Studio 60 seemed interesting for the two episodes I saw, but I lost track of it; I'll probably give it another try when/if they rerun them.
Old 12-18-06, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Best:
Heroes: Freshest and most original show.
Yes, right behind Dexter.
Heroes is 2nd.

Worst: Jericho
Old 12-18-06, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good:
Heroes
Studio60
Six Degrees
30 Rock
Jericho
Brother & Sisters

Tolerable:
Men In Trees
The Class
Shark

Bad:
Smith
Justice
Old 12-18-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
BEST (Cancelled!): Kidnapped

WORST (Still On!): Jericho
Old 12-18-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts
Best: BSG
Worst: Jericho and Gilmore Girls (tie)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.