DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Beauty & the Geek premieres on Wed Jan 3, 2007 on the CW (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/486562-beauty-geek-premieres-wed-jan-3-2007-cw.html)

mrpayroll 12-13-06 03:26 PM

Beauty & the Geek premieres on Wed Jan 3, 2007 on the CW

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...d=20061213cw07

BEAUTY AND THE GEEK
Air Date: Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Time Slot: 8:00 PM-10:00 PM EST on The CW
Episode Title: (#301/302) "Episode 301/302"

VIEW ALL LISTINGS FOR BEAUTY AND THE GEEK

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 3

SEASON THREE - TWO-HOUR PREMIERE

"BEAUTY AND THE GEEK" - (8:00-10:00 p.m. ET)

301/302 (Content Rating TBD)

Spoiler:
BEAUTIES AND GEEKS BRING NEW YEARS CHEER! - From executive producers Ashton Kutcher and Jason Goldberg ("Punk'd"), this reality series/social experiment pairs eight beautiful women who lack book smarts with eight brilliant men who are socially inept to compete in a series of challenges that push them outside their comfort zones for a chance to win a quarter of a million dollars. This week, the beauties have to work the Dewey Decimal system, leaving one girl in tears, and the geeks are put on the spot in a very public way. In the second hour, the geeks must perform stand-up comedy at the Laugh Factory, where one gets laughs, while another gets awkward silence. When the beauties conduct a TV interview with an author, one girl shines while another gets chastised by her teammate for not studying. Two teams go to the elimination room, but only one team goes home. (#301/302).

There are no real spoilers just descriptions of the first 2 episodes.

I watched the first season and loved it, but I never finished the second season. Maybe I had too much to watch. But I'll give this season a try.

Chris

Bill Needle 12-13-06 08:04 PM

I like this show. It's pretty funny. Plus, from the previews I have seen it looks like this season they have not just geeks, but dweebs, spazzes, and geeky-dweebs. The one who sings rock and roll songs about Star Wars was a real pip.

LaxBandit 12-13-06 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I watched the first season and loved it, but I never finished the second season. Maybe I had too much to watch. But I'll give this season a try.
Chris

MTV has been replaying the first/second seasons the last few weeks and are scheduled to replay the second season once again starting Thursday with episodes #1/#2 from 5:00 pm ET to 7:00 pm ET. (Friday, episodes #3/#4 are scheduled from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm and it finishes up Saturday night/Sunday morning with episodes #5-#8 from 11:00 pm to 3:00 am.)

If you can't watch it then, theres a second season marathon scheduled for Dec 24 from 1:00 ET to 9:00 pm ET. (The casting special for the third season hosted by Richard and Lauren (first season) is scheduled from 12:00 pm ET to 1:00 pm ET.)

LB...

shoppingbear 12-14-06 03:46 PM

We'll probably watch this as the one commercial we saw looked pretty funny, and we've liked previous seasons, but:

Originally Posted by LaxBandit
(The casting special for the third season hosted by Richard and Lauren (first season) is scheduled from 12:00 pm ET to 1:00 pm ET.)

...WHY can't they find someone LESS annoying than that guy to bring back? :grunt:

Bluelitespecial 12-15-06 10:52 AM

I absolutely loved this show and it has a good message, and unlike the other reality shows pairing gorgeous women with regular guys (average Joe) it isn't demeaning to either group. I will definately be watching Jan 3rd.

Groucho 12-15-06 10:53 AM

I wish they'd mix it up and pair up geeky girls with dumb good-looking guys. Due to the popularity of Ugly Betty nows the time.

pinata242 12-15-06 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I wish they'd mix it up and pair up geeky girls with dumb good-looking guys. Due to the popularity of Ugly Betty nows the time.

:thumbsup: I was actually expecting that "twist" this time.

Bluelitespecial 12-15-06 11:39 AM

Maybe it will still happen, it can be done.

LaxBandit 01-01-07 08:56 PM

If your going to miss the 2hr premiere this Wednesday for whatever reason, CW is repeating it this Sunday, January 7 from 8:00 pm ET to 10:00 pm ET. (Great news for me since my VCR's and DVD-R will be busy recording other programs Wednesday.) Starting with the third episode, CW plans to repeat the Wednesdays episodes on the following Sunday from 9:00 pm ET to 10:00 pm ET.

LB...

LorenzoL 01-01-07 09:09 PM

Here in Canada, CityTV will be airing this show.

Red Dog 01-03-07 07:26 AM

The girls need to be hotter and the guys geekier than the last go-around.

Groucho 01-03-07 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog

Agreed. There were several "ringers" last time. The girl on the winning team had two degrees!

Bluelitespecial 01-03-07 11:41 AM

I was very disappointed with last season, Cher was obviously faking her lack of intelligence and did not deserve her win. I am hoping this season is more like the first. I will be taping it tonight.

wishbone 01-03-07 09:09 PM

For a geek, "Gettin' Booty" = http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7977/pirategi4.gif

Hopefully Erin and Nadia do well, (so far) they seem fairly down to earth.

Red Dog 01-03-07 10:09 PM

This group works for me. :thumbsup:

The token minorities are eliminated off the bat. :lol: Tori was absolutely worthless - no brain, and even worse, no effort. She better hope she marries somebody well-off before she loses her looks.

rotfl at the echoing sound effect they attached to that one chick.

Sweet - a Freakonomics plug. Awesome book. :thumbsup: Sheree did seem like a natural at interviewing - I love her eyes.

dolphinboy 01-03-07 10:36 PM

Looking her very best, Andrea is the only one that has a face and a body that is top notch, very hot.

After that, you have some great bodies with cute to, at best, pretty faces.

I'm a very reasonable person, but most semi-attractive women can get buy on their looks. Men are easy that way.

I did like most of the girls, they were cute, funny, and nice for the most part, but I always roll my eyes when they talk about how hot they are and how they use their looks for this and that. They just aren't that great.

While Andrea seems to be overly critical, I feel badly for her because her partner doesn't seem like he has any chance of improving. If they offer cash again, she should take it.

I also got the sense we have ringers again this season.

Groucho 01-03-07 11:06 PM

I'd like to know what the "former Hooters waitress" is doing now. She's obviously educated.

Bluelitespecial 01-03-07 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I also got the sense we have ringers again this season.

Its not as bad as it was last year, there doesn't appear to be any ringers yet. Maybe I will try and get on the next season then. I bet all of the guys will clean up really nicely come the makeover challenge.

mrpayroll 01-03-07 11:59 PM

Good riddance Tori, another typical person who blames everyone but herself for her problems.

Andrea is frickin' hot, but that's the only good thing I can say about her.

Terrylee is also pretty, but at least she's nice.

Very good start to this year.

Chris

superdeluxe 01-04-07 12:05 AM

Good start to the show. The guys are definately more geeky looking than last year..but i suspect that several of them could clean up pretty well (one of the guys looks like hyde from that 70's show)

Spoiler:
Looks like several different cats get some play from the beauties this year

Tommy Ceez 01-04-07 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'd like to know what the "former Hooters waitress" is doing now. She's obviously educated.

Not only was she good in the interview, but she made two ABSOLUTLY SPOT ON observations about the other contestants and the general gameplay...she's SOOOOOO a ringer.

Then again, the guy who won both challenges is one cm away from 90's hippie cool.

Patman 01-04-07 07:50 AM

The problem with Andrea is that she's got "drive" to win, but she has nothing to offer in the challenges, she was awful in the interview segment. I am not impressed by her not being able to walk the walk and talk the talk in that respect.

I'm glad Erin's still around, something about her eyes I find endearing, she's pretty, but without the obnoxiously big boobs (Tori). CCG might be a plant, but she is annoying in that Anna Nicole Smith sort of way.

Nate and Niels look like plants to me. Loved it when Mario got a dose of his own medicine after dissing CCG for her Golden state response, and then hearing himself get dissed when there were 3 girls left and the one that "stepped up" took one for the team.

Red Dog 01-04-07 03:05 PM

Forgot to ask - was this in HD? I recorded it on my SD DVR figuring that most reality programming is SD, but I figured I ask just in case.

mrpayroll 01-04-07 03:09 PM

Forgot to ask - was this in HD? I recorded it on my SD DVR figuring that most reality programming is SD, but I figured I ask just in case.

No, it wasn't, which kind of pissed me off. It would have been great to see the 2 or 3 real beauties in HD, but I guess Ashton & Jason are a bunch of cheapskates.

Chris

mrpayroll 01-04-07 04:57 PM

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20070104cw01

[01.04.07 - 01:41 PM]
EVERYBODY LOVES BEAUTIES AND GEEKS!
Released by The CW
[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVERYBODY LOVES BEAUTIES AND GEEKS!

"Beauty & The Geek" Premiere Wins Wednesday for The CW in Women 18-34; Ranks Second Among Adults 18-34

"Beauty & The Geek" Also Scored Its Highest Rated Telecast EVER Among Adults 18-34, Women 18-34 and Women 18-49

"Beauty & The Geek" Delivers Show's Best Premiere EVER in Adults 18-34, Women 18-34, Women 18-49

January 4, 2007 (Burbank, CA) - The CW kicked off 2007 in winning fashion with the two-hour premiere of "Beauty & the Geek," which beat all competition on Wednesday in the target demo of women 18-34 (3.5/9), according to preliminary live plus same day Nielsen ratings for Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2007. "Beauty & The Geek" also ranked second from 8:00-10:00 p.m. among adults 18-34 (2.9/8), behind only Fox.

The hit reality series from Ashton Kutcher and Jason Goldberg scored the show's highest-rated telecast EVER among women 18-34 (3.5/9), women 18-49 (2.7/7) and adults 18-34 (2.9/8-tie).

Last night's two-hour cycle three debut also delivered the show's best premiere EVER in among women 18-34 (3.5/9), women 18-49 (2.7/7) and adults 18-34 (2.9/8-tie).

"Beauty & the Geek" posted double-digit gains from the first hour into the second, building at 9:00 p.m. by 32% in adults 18-34, 33% in women 18-34, 25% in adults 18-49, 25% in women 18-49 and 18% in total viewers.
It's CW's spin, but hopefully the ratings will hold up.

Chris