Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - "The Christmas Show" - 12/04/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - "The Christmas Show" - 12/04/06

Old 12-05-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, I thought the Dateline sketch was really funny.

I hadn't seen the coconut breaking the table commercial, so that was also funny to see.

Great episode. Very moving at the end.
Old 12-05-06, 10:12 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Excellent episode last night. I too loved the final minutes...
Old 12-05-06, 11:41 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMark
The Dateline sketch was actually funny
I had the same reaction. I couldn't believe I was actually laughing out loud at a Studio 60 sketch. For the first time I thought "This is the sort of thing SNL should be doing" instead of thinking "This is a bad imitation of (already bad) SNL" or "Intellectual but not funny".

And the characters are finally breaking through. In the beginning I felt like they were all one-note caricatures placed into an interesting concept. But I like that they're all finally branching out a bit, even beyond the show's concept. Matt actually pushing for a Christmas episode, Jordan showing vulnerability, Jack continuing to show his human side while struggling with the business side of things, etc.
Old 12-05-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
I was reading EWs review of the show and in the comments somebody made a good point - this episode was likely done before the show was picked up for a full season, and since the ratings were less than stellar was probably a contingency episode incase they pulled the plug, they really did resolve a lot of things last night.

Also:

And the episode ended with another nice musical moment as Danny found a way to give a little Christmas bonus to some displaced New Orleans musicians. (Real-life alert: The performers in this episode really are New Orleans players and beneficiaries of the Tipitina's Foundation, which aids musicians affected by Hurricane Katrina.)
Old 12-05-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
They stacked the deck on us, though. If Sorkin had the courage of that position's convictions, it would have been that guy from the Cap1 commercials saying it on the air for no reason. That's what the FCC has by and large jumped on, not a startled Marine saying something you'd hope every reasonable person knows he can't be faulted for.

I agree. Even though the FCC is run by a bunch of arbitrary inconsistent assholes, I don't believe for a second they would impose a fine like that, given the context. For example, explitives caught by mics during live sporting events - I've never heard of a fine for those. The message presented here by S60 was great, but I think it would have been far better if they tackled this issue because of something that happened on the show.

Still, I'm glad that they addressed because most everything that was said deserves a . And once again, the network stuff was so much more interesting that the studio stuff. However, I thought the Dateline sketch looked like it could have been pretty damn funny.
Old 12-05-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great episode of what has become a great show.

Funny, intelligent and surprisingly warm hearted.
Old 12-05-06, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
That coconut scene was fraking hilarious. I had to pause the TIVO because I was laughing so hard. All the writer's room scenes were funny as well.

The musical performance was amazing. Now if Studio 60 can do a tribute like that, why couldn't the NFL do that when the Saints played their first home game (just a rhetorical question). The song is supposed to be available on iTunes but I can't find it yet.

I buy the Danny's feelings and his timing to inform Jordan was priceless.
Old 12-05-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts
This was a very good episode.
Old 12-05-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is still one of my favorite shows on TV. Gonna be sad when it ends...at least to me.
Old 12-05-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
full agreement... best episode yet
Old 12-06-06, 08:16 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts
Either my Tivo didn't record it or one of my kids accidentally deleted it.

Do they replay episodes?
Old 12-06-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Either my Tivo didn't record it or one of my kids accidentally deleted it.

Do they replay episodes?
I think they have replayed a few, or maybe that was just the pilot. The episode is on nbc.com now though.

Anyone know if this show is taking a break over december and january like others? Looks like there is a christmas movie in the time slot next week.
Old 12-06-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Must...have...more...LUCY!

Old 12-06-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Very moving for me. I figured the musicians would get to play by themselves, but I wasn't expecting the images onscreen. Loved how they intercut it with Jordan eating.
I just loved the shot of people in front of the sign reading "All we want for Christmas is our city back." Whoa.
Old 12-06-06, 09:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
One reason the "Dateline" sketch was effective is because they could cut away. On SNL, it would go on for 5 minutes...long after it was funny. That's the big problem with most sketches on these shows...they're built around a funny premise, but past that there's no additional humor to be derived.

The FCC thing was just inane, and would never happen in real life. They should have invented a scenario that created just a little gray area. As it stands, NBS is clearly wearing the white hat. I remember during 9/11 there was a lot of swearing during the live broadcasts as everything went on...nobody got fined for that.

Is Danny in sixth grade? That's how he was acting.
Old 12-06-06, 10:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed, great ep..and since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I also busted out laughing and had to replay this a few times....

"How's Jack doing?"

"Son of a holy..BITCH!"
Old 12-06-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bandoman
Do they replay episodes?
Monday's episode is scheduled to reair on the 18th.
Old 12-06-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Anyone know if this show is taking a break over december and january like others? Looks like there is a christmas movie in the time slot next week.
yeah this was the last episode until after the new year.
Old 12-06-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved all the scenes mentioned. I also laughed pretty hard and the demented / Nazi Santa. I was thinking that thing was pretty creapy before Matt ever said a word.
Old 12-06-06, 01:22 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts
Originally Posted by scott27
Monday's episode is scheduled to reair on the 18th.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-06, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed with everything said and just wanted to add, they need to move this show to 9 pm on another night, so that more people would watch this show. I would love to watch this live in HDTV after Heroes, but it is too late for an old guy like me. So, I had to watch it last night in SD on my DVR.

I hope this show does get renewed for next year. They have so much more that they can do with the characters.

Chris
Old 12-06-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I loved all the scenes mentioned. I also laughed pretty hard and the demented / Nazi Santa. I was thinking that thing was pretty creapy before Matt ever said a word.
Agreed! Funny as hell!

The past two episodes I have laughed many times. I just wish people cared more about the show.

Would love to see this appear on HBO or something...it could work.
Old 12-06-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-07-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I'm in the same boat as every one else. I couldn't believe a sketch on this show was actually funny, but the Dateline bit was great. Possibly because everything they have done so far has been topical or political and this one was just stupid funny in the vein of SNL.

Hitler Santa was great too.

Any idea if they will rerun the pilot during the Christmas break? I missed it.
Old 12-07-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From IMDB News:

Conservative Group Blasts 'Studio 60' Renewal
Townhall.com, a website operated by the conservative think tank The Heritage Foundation, has blasted NBC's decision to renew Aaron Sorkin's Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Sorkin, it said Tuesday, "will get to continue his anti-Christianity themed show despite low ratings." The website accused Sorkin not only of pushing "his radical agenda on television," but of using his wealth to fund liberal causes and political candidates.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.