DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Name a show that you love, but others just don't "get" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/485160-name-show-you-love-but-others-just-dont-get.html)

Damfino 11-30-06 11:51 AM

Name a show that you love, but others just don't "get"

This is the flip side to DVDPackrat's thread.

Like many here I loved Arrested Development, but in the real world I only knew one other person that watched it.

Currently there's Everybody Hates Chris. I love the show. The stories are well written, funny and even promote positive values. So why is that I only know one other person that likes the show and DVDtalk threads seldom generate any interest?

Tracer Bullet 11-30-06 11:54 AM

For me it's got to be Tom Goes to the Mayor. Easily the best show on Adult Swim since ATHF, and yet I only know one person that likes it.

Red Dog 11-30-06 11:59 AM

Shark

MrX 11-30-06 11:59 AM

The Wire

Jimmy James 11-30-06 12:02 PM

Count me in for Everybody Hates Chris. Back when we had threads, it was pretty much me and one other guy saying "good episode". Gotta love the dad, though I think the mom and the siblings have gotten stronger plots this year as well.

Given the results of the thread you referenced, another show I love that others don't get is Seinfeld. I guess I could say the same about Newsradio seeing as how it was cancelled. There are a whole bunch of those cancelled shows I can list, though:

Eyes
Line of Fire
Sports Night
The Dana Carvey Show
Stark Raving Mad
Cursed/The Weber Show
The Good Life
The Inside
Wonderfalls
Firefly
Profit
Angel
...and the list could go on for a long while

Pointyskull 11-30-06 12:05 PM

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Moral Orel

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 11-30-06 12:12 PM

The West Wing

Ayre 11-30-06 12:15 PM

Eureka

DRG 11-30-06 12:20 PM

For 'real life' and not the internet I'd definitely say "The Office" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Most of my friends won't even try them, and the few that do complain they're not funny. And they like things like "The Colbert Report" and "South Park" so it's not like they have no sense of funny.

Groucho 11-30-06 12:27 PM

I watch Everybody Hates Christ myself but it's not a "water cooler" type show with sub-plots and such that would generate good thread discussion.

For me, it's Doctor Who. Around here, the show is barely discussed, but it's not like there aren't other places to talk about it. I can always post on Outpost Gallifrey where I'll be lambasted as a "hater" if I don't rate every episode a 5/5.

Jimmy James 11-30-06 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I watch Everybody Hates Christ

Typo of the year. That would be a very interesting show.

rkndkn 11-30-06 12:37 PM

I watch Everybody Hates Christ myself . . .

-eek-

SonOfAStu 11-30-06 12:49 PM

Andy Richter Controls the Universe : I'm not sure if others didn't "get" it so much that not enough people ever gave it a shot. Everyone I know that watched any of it thought it was funny.

Life On A Stick : This was just a guilty pleasure for me. I can see why most people thought it was terrible, but it just worked for me. I thought every episode was great and constantly found myself laughing out loud while watching it.

That's My Bush! : I don't think everyone understood what this show was trying to do. I'm not saying you couldn't "get it" and still not like it, but I know plenty of people who had no idea that Trey and Matt were purposely using the bad sitcom style for effect. I especially love it when liberal douche bags try to claim that Trey and Matt are Bush supporters when they have no idea this show ever existed. If only they could see it now...

Damfino 11-30-06 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Typo of the year. That would be a very interesting show.

Who says it's a typo?

Jimmy James 11-30-06 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Damfino
Who says it's a typo?

If it isn't, I'd like to know what network that show is on.

FantasticVSDoom 11-30-06 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
If it isn't, I'd like to know what network that show is on.

I think I saw it once on Telemundo, but of course I couldnt understand it :(

Judging by ratings, its Veronica Mars. Around here its got a good push, but just not with the TV watching public. Even people I know who would love the show will not take the time.

Nuff 11-30-06 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ayre
Eureka

I'd say this doesn't really quality considering how much of a ratings smash it was. IIRC it was Sci-fi's 2nd highest rated show after Battlestar.

dvd182 11-30-06 01:59 PM

The Wire for me as well.

JacksModernLife 11-30-06 04:06 PM

I did enjoy Starved a lot...others didn't

Also, some people either LOVE Strangers with Candy when I show it to them, others...not so much

Same with Drawn Together...and I'm just smitten with it

Pointyskull 11-30-06 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by JacksModernLife
...Starved.....

....Strangers with Candy...

:thumbsup:

also:
Upright Citizens Brigade

uteotw 11-30-06 04:17 PM

The Shield
The Office
The Unit

Believe it or not, no one else in my office watches these superb shows. Maybe it has something to do with the word "The."

nemein 11-30-06 04:25 PM

E-Ring is the only one not mentioned yet that comes immediately to mind comes to mind.

DRG 11-30-06 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Judging by ratings, its Veronica Mars. Even people I know who would love the show will not take the time.

I've noticed the same thing. I know people who absolutely loved Buffy but think Veronica Mars just looks like a stupid waste of time, and to me they are very similar in spirit and tone even though the subject matter is a bit different.

DRG 11-30-06 04:39 PM

Everybody Hates Christ

Harriet: "I'm not doing it, Matt."

BDB 11-30-06 05:10 PM

If there was one show I could persuade people to watch that don't it would have to be The Wire

I can't believe I missed such fantastic television when it was out first, I'm all caught up now, and it is the best show currently on Television. bar none.