Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Preacher Series Coming to AMC - Seth Rogen/Evan Goldberg developing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: Preacher Series Coming to AMC - Seth Rogen/Evan Goldberg developing

Even though it was 20 years ago, the mid-'90s was when they were printing a shit-ton of floppies, even Vertigo titles like Preacher had huge print runs. These things aren't rare, and the market will soon flood and the price will go back down - though not back to the $13 it used to be.
Old 02-07-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Preacher Series Coming to HBO Announcement

Originally Posted by cleaver
Saint of Killers (yes I'm serious)
Spoiler:
That's exactly who I picture when I read the comics.
Old 02-07-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Holy crap!
I have the entire run in floppies - I wonder if I can get good cash for the whole run now, or if I should wait...
I was going to buy the original painting of that cover for $175 at WonderCon one year, but backed out at the last minute. That was dumb of me in hindsight.
Old 02-07-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I was going to buy the original painting of that cover for $175 at WonderCon one year, but backed out at the last minute. That was dumb of me in hindsight.
Wow, that's a steal for any original painting, much less one that's actually been published.
Old 02-07-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
Wow, that's a steal for any original painting, much less one that's actually been published.
Yeah, they had it knocked down from $350. The next year I went they had (I think) #10 for about $750.
Old 03-09-14, 10:40 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Evan Goldberg discusses his vision/plans for how he will approach the series:

While speaking with Collider’s SXSW correspondent Perri Nemiroff at the film festival in Austin, Goldberg discussed the TV adaptation of the Garth Ennis comic Preacher, for which he says they’ll be making some structural changes but will keep the essence of the comic intact:

“We just had a meeting with AMC and Garth Ennis, who’s the writer, and we all kind of seemed to agree that we’re gonna stay as true to the comic as we can. We need to change some stuff but we’re not gonna change much, I hope. We’re just gonna do a little more of the preamble instead of doing flashbacks and restructure how we dole out the information a little, but we’re gonna [do the] same characters, same story, same ending. We’re gonna try to stick to Preacher as best we can. We’re making it with Sam Catlin who did Breaking Bad, and so he might tell me I’m wrong about all of this and that the real way to do it is different because he’s much smarter and better at all this than I am. But we’re gonna try to stick to what it is as best we can.”

Studios have been trying to get a feature film adaptation of the dark property off the ground for years, but Goldberg says a TV iteration is the best way to tell that story:

“We’re beyond excited, we’ve tried to make it for 10 years. The big difference is everyone else tried to make it a movie and it shouldn’t be a movie. It should be an AMC show, that’s the proper way for it to get done… It’s too big; you can’t do that in a movie. It’s just too big. You’ve gotta learn the characters, it’s all about a love triangle and you need to grow with them and see the woman swayed one way or the other, and in a movie you just can’t accomplish all that.”
http://collider.com/preacher-tv-news-evan-goldberg/

He also talks about the upcoming Franco/Rogen movie "The Interview" as well as the Console Wars project.
Old 03-14-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AICN briefly talked to them about it while they were promoting "Neighbors".

Quint: My biggest fear is the weirdness isn't going to make it through the system.
Evan Goldberg: Wrong. The weirdness is in.

Quint: Also, you guys might be going in with a little more power, but I've heard pretty direct and damning accounts of how AMC butt-fucked Frank Darabont.
Evan Goldberg: We went into AMC last week with Garth Ennis and I've never felt like a studio or network was more on the same page with us. We pitched them and they said, “Perfect! That's exactly what we wanted to hear. No notes.”

Seth Rogen: Last week was the first meeting we had with me, Evan and Garth Ennis and (Breaking Bad's) Sam Catlin, who is our showrunner, and AMC. I obviously was a little nervous. It seems like the language is going to be the most restrictive thing, but that I'm not worried about.

Quint: Bad words aren't important. It's being able to stick with the crazy religious shit and translate that story properly I'm worried about.
Seth Rogen: That, the religious stuff, they're totally cool with. The violence, they're totally cool with. The nudity is hard, but we can find ways around that. Overall, it was one of the best meetings I've ever had, honestly.

Evan Goldberg: It was the best meeting we've ever had.

Seth Rogen: Garth was there. You know, inevitably we'll have to change some things to make it a TV show that functions properly, so it was very nerve-wracking pitching some of those ideas in front of Garth. He couldn't have been more receptive and couldn't have been more vocal about the fact that he knows there's a core thing that needs to be maintained, but other than that there's a lot of stuff that you can lose.

Evan Goldberg: He sent us a document and it essentially explained “You can fuck around with anything, just not the three main characters and their dynamic. That's the story. It's a character story.” in the meeting, at the end they were like “Garth?” Everybody looked at him and he just (Evan nods in approval).

Seth Rogen: He was really happy.
A little bit more here.
Old 03-14-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good thing Justified is ending because I think Walton Goggins would be perfect for Jesse Custer.
Old 03-14-14, 06:08 PM

I've been skeptical about how they are going to do a Preacher series on AMC as it would be a much better fit on a channel like HBO or Showtime, but knowing Ennis is on board definitely eased my concerns.
Old 03-14-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

How will they handle the male-on-male rape, strap-on dildos and chicken-fucking on commercial television?
Old 03-14-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dunno. AMC and FX and the like have been pushing the boundaries of what can be shown on TV but part of me feels that they are going to be having to hack out swaths of the absurdity that was in Preacher. Will they actually have a dude with an asshole for a mouth? A dude with a cock for a scalp? The "Salo"-esque storyline? The gleeful blasphemy? Im highly suspect of the project as it stands.
Old 03-14-14, 09:44 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Good thing Justified is ending because I think Walton Goggins would be perfect for Jesse Custer.
At 42, he's way too old.
Old 03-14-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Will they actually have a dude with an asshole for a mouth?
Strangely enough, that's exactly what you end up looking like if you survive a shotgun blast to the face.
Old 03-14-14, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
At 42, he's way too old.
I believe the book itself compares him to a young James Dean plus Fabry frequently painted him to resemble Johnny Depp on the covers.
Old 12-03-14, 08:08 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

AMC has given a pilot order to “Preacher,” a drama which has been adapted from the comic book series by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg.

Rogen and Goldberg wrote the adaptation for Neal Moritz’s Original Film. That trio is exec producing through their Point Grey banner, along with showrunner Sam Catlin.

The Sony Pictures Television and AMC Studios co-production was a hot property when it was shopped to cable buyers earlier this year. There had been talk of a straight-to-series order but at present it is a pilot.

“’Preacher’ has been our favorite comic since it first came out,” said Rogen and Goldberg, who are also attached to direct. “Garth Ennis is one of our idols and it’s an incredible honor to be working on this. We promise we won’t make too many dick jokes and ruin it.”

Based on Ennis and Steve Dillon’s ’90s comic book series, “Preacher” is about Jesse Custer, a preacher in a Texas town who merges with a creature that has escaped from heaven and develops the ability to make anyone do anything he says. Along with his ex-girlfriend, Tulip, and an Irish vampire named Cassidy, the three embark on a journey to find God.

“Every once in a while you find a project where all the elements line up beautifully. With ‘Preacher,’ it starts with a bold, compelling, and thought-provoking comic book series from Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon and a whole lot of fans who already know Jesse Custer, Cassidy, and Tulip,” said Joel Stillerman, AMC’s executive vice president of original programming, production and digital content. “Add to that the passionate and talented Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and Sam Catlin, an incredible producing team in Neal Moritz, the Original Film team and our good friends at Sony Pictures Television, and we have everything we need to be VERY excited to move forward on ‘Preacher.’”

The pilot will be produced in the summer of 2015 for series consideration in 2016.

AMC had a few other high-profile scripts in works, including “Bombingham,” the period drama from Alexander Woo.
http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/amc-...ok-1201369956/
Old 12-04-14, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

As long as Custer doesn't aimlessly wander around Georgia for three or four seasons, I think they can make it work. I would not expect the really extreme stuff to make the transition from comics.
Old 03-19-15, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Tulip has been cast:
EXCLUSIVE: Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Ruth Negga has been cast as the female lead in Preacher, AMC’s drama pilot based on Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s cult 1990s comic. The project, from Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, is about Jesse Custer, a conflicted Preacher in a small Texas town who merges with a creature that has escaped from heaven and develops the ability to make anyone do anything he says. Along with his ex-girlfriend, Tulip (Negga) — Jesse’s former and only true love — and an Irish vampire named Cassidy, the three embark on a journey to literally find God. Tulip is described as a volatile, action-packed, sexified force of nature, a capable, unrepentant criminal with a love of fashion and ability to construct helicopter-downing bazookas out of coffee cans and corn shine who’s not afraid to steal, kill or corn cob-stab her way out of a bad situation.

Negga is the first actor cast in Preacher, from Sony TV and AMC Studios. Rogen and Goldberg developed the project for television and will direct the pilot, written by Sam Catlin who serves as showrunner.

Rogen, Goldberg and Catlin executive produce with James Weaver, Neal Moritz, Vivian Cannon and Ori Marmur as well as Ken Levin and Jason Netter. Ennis and Dillon co-executive produce.

Negga has comic book credentials with her recurring role as Raina on ABC’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. In features, she shot the titular role of the Irish drama Iona, directed by Scott Graham. Negga, repped by ICM Partners and Principal Entertainment LA, was recently seen in the Jimi Hendrix biopic All Is By My Side and next plays Lady Taria in another high-profile genre project, Warcraft.

This marks the second consecutive comic book-based drama project, in which Sony has cast a minority actress as the female lead, drawn as Caucasian in the comics. Preacher joins the studio’s Playstation series Powers co-starring Susan Heyward.
http://deadline.com/2015/03/ruth-neg...en-1201394933/
Old 03-19-15, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well that's not who I pictured as Tulip!
Old 03-19-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by auto
Well that's not who I pictured as Tulip!
yeah, I wouldn't have guessed her as Tulip. I liked her on Agents of SHIELD. Maybe she can make a good Tulip.

Next up: the announcement of John Cho as Jesse and Melissa McCarthy as Cassidy.
Old 03-19-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Preacher Series Coming to HBO Announcement

Originally Posted by cleaver
Jesse
Spoiler:

Saint of Killers (yes I'm serious)
Spoiler:
I applaud both those choices.

Not sure about Ruth Negga as Tulip. Just nothing like i imagined and seems another case of "lets give the role to a minority actress" for the sake of it.

I think that Michael Fassbender would be perfect for Cassidy. Hell he even has the Irish accent. Would never happen though, which is a shame.

What about Herr Starr? How about Bruce Willis. He could do with a change in his career. Not sure he would appreciate quite where the character goes in the case of personal enjoyment, but who knows.

And how about God himself?

Last edited by james2025a; 03-19-15 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like Joseph Gilgun (UK show Misfits) for Cassidy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yYwQZbctcVI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-19-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Supposedly Dominic Cooper is in the running for Jesse, is there an Irish Marvel Cinematic Universe actor they can poach for Cassidy?
Old 03-19-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I like Negga a lot in SHIELD, but she doesn't seem right for Tulip.
Old 03-19-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Negga, please!
Old 03-19-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Arseface has been cast:
AMC’s Preacher adaptation has cast another character from Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s cult comic. Young actor Ian Colletti (Fox’s Rake) has joined the drama pilot, from Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. The project from Sony TV and AMC Studios is about Jesse Custer, a conflicted preacher in a small Texas town who merges with a creature that has escaped from heaven and develops the ability to make anyone do anything he says. Along with his ex-girlfriend, Tulip (Ruth Negga), and an Irish vampire named Cassidy, the three embark on a journey to literally find God.

Colletti plays Eugene Root, aka Arseface. Even with his horribly disfigured face and severe speech impediment, Eugene’s still the nicest kid you’ll ever meet and really looks up to Jesse. Stomach-churningly difficult to look at, Eugene’s the town’s reviled Frankenstein’s monster, but that won’t change his earnest, sweet and pure outlook on life. However, he is troubled by something terrible he’s done in the past — something he fears might have turned God himself against him.

Colletti, repped by CESD and Authentic Management, is the second actor cast in Preacher, joining Negga. His credits include the title role in the indie Jimmy.
http://deadline.com/2015/03/preacher...ot-1201395497/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.