Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Would MI-5 be a good blind buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would MI-5 be a good blind buy?

I have never seen MI-5. I like shows like la Femme Nikita, and 24. I was a big fan of Nikita. Do you think this would be a good blind buy?
Thanks
Old 11-28-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do. At least the first 2 seasons. Season 3 was good but the first 2 were superb TV IMO.
Better than 24
Old 11-28-06, 02:10 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Yes, the cliffhangers at the end of season 1 and 2 were excellent
Old 11-28-06, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might want to rent it first. I would put it more along the lines of the old Mission Impossible than something like 24 (haven't seen Nikita the series). Think more drama than action, but I still strongly recommend it.
Old 11-28-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would highly recommend it. Awesome show.
Old 11-28-06, 03:12 PM

I think you should try to watch at least one episode before buying it. Most people like it, but I got the first season from the library and wasn't very impressed. I haven't bothered to watch the other seasons (yet), and I seriously doubt I'll ever buy the DVDs.
Old 11-28-06, 03:23 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
It's a little more smart than either of the shows mentioned, its a great show though. I'd think its more like a Prime Suspect. there isn't a whole lot of blowing things up, its not a stylistic show, more gritty and realistic.

I loved it, and have Season 5 waiting for me to watch!

Oh and you really really want to get the Region 1 DVD's over the US release as they edited the bejesus out of it. too much removed for my liking.
Old 11-28-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Oh and you really really want to get the Region 1 DVD's over the US release as they edited the bejesus out of it. too much removed for my liking.
Aren't the Region 1 DVDs the US release? What's the difference?

As for the show, it's a great show, but from my experience, the people that like 24 tend to actualy NOT like MI-5, b/c 24 is so in your face, non-stop action action action. Mi-5 is a lot slower, better written & more down to earth then the over the top 24.
Old 11-28-06, 05:03 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry my bad, the Region 2 releases, I done got confused.
Old 11-28-06, 05:29 PM

It's a little more smart than either of the shows mentioned, its a great show though. I'd think its more like a Prime Suspect. there isn't a whole lot of blowing things up, its not a stylistic show, more gritty and realistic.

I loved it, and have Season 5 waiting for me to watch!

S5 started? I thought they just wrapped s4.
Also, the US dvds are uncut - they were cut for time to air on Bravo but the dvds should be whole.
Old 11-28-06, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Aren't the Region 1 DVDs the US release? What's the difference?

As for the show, it's a great show, but from my experience, the people that like 24 tend to actualy NOT like MI-5, b/c 24 is so in your face, non-stop action action action. Mi-5 is a lot slower, better written & more down to earth then the over the top 24.
This is a correct assessment. I don't like 24 very much. I enjoyed the 1st season but after that I got sick off it.
I also like the storylines/situations of MI-5 a lot more. They seem more plausible
Old 11-28-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, the show is one of the best produced and written shows that I have seen. It has a highly tense and highly realistic feel to it. Each episode feels like it is it's own little movie. One of the best shows that I have ever seen. And to give you an idea of my taste here are some shows that I compare it to:

The Shield
The Wire
Battlestar Gallactica
Sopranos
Carnivale
Rescue Me
Heros
Alias (first couple of seasons)
Old 11-28-06, 07:47 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

S5 is done and dusted from the UK..
Old 11-28-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would recommend you try to catch it on A&E (if they ever rebroadcast them again) before forking out the bucks for the box sets. $60 per set (@ DDD) is kind of expensive for a blind buy.
Old 11-28-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Oh and you really really want to get the Region 2 DVD's over the US release as they edited the bejesus out of it. too much removed for my liking.
Woah! I did not know this - I like the show and own the first 3 seasons, and was happy in my ignorance until now. Just how much stuff have they cut out, and is it cool stuff? Would it be worth re-buying it from R2 to get the uncut episodes?
Old 11-29-06, 12:04 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Essentially in the UK it's a 60 min show, they showed it on Bravo or A&E in an hour with the normal 18 or so mins of commercials.

I have no idea how they decided what to cut. I've seen a couple of episodes both ways, and it's a lot of dialog and a lot of background stuff that someone deemed unimportant.

In the 1st season episode 2
Spoiler:

When the person gets her hand fried in the fryer you see it pretty graphically in the UK version.

After that I only watched the UK versions of the show.
Old 11-29-06, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Ah - you're talking about the American TV broadcasts then.

Phew... you scared me for a bit, making me think the R1 dvds were edited.

I just checked and each episode runs for about 59 minutes on the dvds - so no edits.
Old 11-29-06, 05:29 AM

The only disadvantage of the R1 DVDs is that they come out about 6 months after the R2 ones.
Old 11-29-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nemein
The only disadvantage of the R1 DVDs is that they come out about 6 months after the R2 ones.

Another disadvantage is that they are also insanely expensive
Old 11-29-06, 05:36 PM

R2 ones are kinda pricey too with USD to GBP conversion rates.
Old 11-29-06, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by squidget
R2 ones are kinda pricey too with USD to GBP conversion rates.

At Amazon.uk they usually have them for 50%+ off a few months after the release (about the same time as the US release)... that helps.
Old 11-30-06, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
*HUGE* Spooks fan checking in...

I agree with the "rent it or catch it on A&E before you buy" crowd. It's a great show, but as has been mentioned, $60/set is a bit much for a blind buy.

As has also been mentioned, the version on A&E is "edited" in that stuff is cut out to allow for commercials. IMHO, the editing was pretty good in S1, but goes downhill after that. I watch the original BBC versions and occasionally catch the A&E edits when there's nothing else to watch, and in the past couple of seasons I've noticed some gaping plot holes\non sequitors in the A&E versions.

The US DVDs are "unedited" in the sense that nothing is cut from the shows, however they still retain the US "MI-5" opening sequence.

Lastly, IMHO, seasons 1, 2 and 4 were awesome. Season 3 is very hit or miss (due to casting changes). Season 5 just ended in the UK, and I feel that the quality of the show went downhill badly this go-'round. However, I *hope* that there's a season 6 (or at least a 2-hour movie) to wrap-up the show. The ending of season 4 was almost perfect (the show's creators thought that the BBC wasn't going to renew the show, so it had a nice wrap-up; the BBC ended up renewing the show, and the series 5 ending was the LEAST interesting (compelling) ending of the entire series.
Old 12-29-06, 09:20 AM

Update:

Thanks to everyone who gave me some feedback on this show.

I got MI-5 season 1 for Christmas.......... I think it is a great show.

Episode 2 .. (the spoiler that some one mentioned in the thread) I did not see that coming.

For anyone else that is looking for a better price on the season 2, if you use google checkout at buy dot com it makes the second season less than $40.