DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Studio 60 - 11/20/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/484126-studio-60-11-20-06-a.html)

Patman 11-20-06 11:33 AM

Studio 60 - 11/20/06

Caught an early peek once again.

This episode has rapid-fire dialogue (Sorkin did the teleplay), so you'll have to pay attention to keep up. Overall I liked the episode.

Episode Setup:

Spoiler:
Harriet is on the verge of posing in lingere to gain some sexy cred with the general public, and Tom and Simon do their best to talk her out of it. Jordan has to deal with budget cuts (jobs) looming for all the shows on NBS, and takes input from Danny and Matt.

Jimmy James 11-20-06 02:24 PM

My speculation based on the spoiler info (so it's not a spoiler but as it reveals what is above, it is in spoiler tags):

Spoiler:
It sounds to me like the real NBC budget cut announcement gave Sorkin some inspiration. My guess is that we're going to lose some of "the room". I just hope Sorkin remembers that Ricky and Ron are under contract for I think they said two years. They can't get rid of them.

Jobronie 11-20-06 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Caught an early peek once again.

This episode has rapid-fire dialogue

"Good run-and-talk....."

movieking 11-20-06 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
My speculation based on the spoiler info (so it's not a spoiler but as it reveals what is above, it is in spoiler tags):

Spoiler:
I just hope Sorkin remembers that Ricky and Ron are under contract for I think they said two years. They can't get rid of them.

Spoiler:
Wanna bet? :)

Jimmy James 11-20-06 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by movieking
Spoiler:
Wanna bet? :)

Spoiler:
That's disappointing. It renders that part of the whole premise moot. It sucks.

I hope they don't bring in John Goodman to connect the dots in his head and leave the audience guessing how they did it. The only plausible way I could imagine would involve a buy out offer or possibly greenlighting a show from them so they could parachute away (it would at least give them another 30 minutes of content). The bottom line is that it better be satisfying when I watch it post-Thanksgiving.

movieking 11-20-06 07:05 PM

Spoiler:
They leave on their own, so the premise sticks

MrX 11-20-06 11:18 PM

IMO, probably the best episode of the series.

The dialouge was tight andthe stories were interesting.

Glad they're keeping Lucy Davis around.

B.A. 11-20-06 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
Glad they're keeping Lucy Davis around.

I'm happy to see that they have given her something to do the past two weeks.

I'm glad the Ricky/Ron drama is over.

Brian Gentz 11-20-06 11:42 PM

agreed this was my favorite episodes so far. Looks like its hitting its stride. Perry/Whitford make a great team.

Patman 11-20-06 11:46 PM

Peet's pregnancy was showing. I wonder when she'll be written out for her maternity leave.

Mittman 11-21-06 05:44 AM

Peet's pregnancy was showing. I wonder when she'll be written out for her maternity leave.

You mean when will Danny knock her up on the show, right? ;)

Jobronie 11-21-06 05:56 AM

Yeah, the entire ep it was so obvious, it's like they weren't even trying to hide it........

Jimmy James 11-21-06 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
Spoiler:
They leave on their own, so the premise sticks

I got to watch last night after all. I'm satisfied enough with it.

das Monkey 11-21-06 07:55 AM

Patman

It was showing last week too, which I thought was funny, since there was so much dialogue about her hating kids while she's so obviously carrying one in her gut.

Absolutely loved this episode.

das

boogieman03 11-21-06 08:26 AM

Yup, excellent episode. Glad Ricky and Ron are gone.

So that sketch at the end, what's that going to be a new set?

Patman 11-21-06 08:47 AM

Yeah, to replicate the sunset strip with all the signage, they are going to approach those advertisers to be a part of the backdrop of the new set.

Jimmy James 11-21-06 08:50 AM

They were kind of ambiguous about it, but I take it that they'll use it for some combination of monologues, closing shots, and musical guest performances.

bunkaroo 11-21-06 01:04 PM

I thought they would try to write her pregnancy in, but considering she was shown drinking a beer, I'd say that's a moot point now.

clemente 11-21-06 07:22 PM

I thought it was already confirmed that they were writing the pregnancy in - it certainly would add to her already complicated situation.

I loved this episode, probably the best of the season thus far. Maybe Sorkin is finally getting to that point where he knows what working and what's not (anyone remember Mandy, she didn't work).

Jimmy James 11-21-06 07:57 PM

Yeah -- I think they're in a situation where they are setting up the circumstances that make her pregnancy such a big story. I thought that was pretty clear when they suddenly had her husband drop the anti-motherhood stuff on her. My guess is that she'll come damned close to being fired and the pregnancy will save her butt.

Dr_Evil 11-21-06 09:23 PM

I happened to catch this for the first time last night and thought it was great. I added the season pass for it.

cornflakeguy 11-22-06 12:02 AM

Best episode (since the pilot) of the show so far.

I hope this means the show has found it's rhythm.

Only bad thing: Even FOX wouldn't make a show out of Peripheral Vision Man...would they?

Patman 11-22-06 12:42 AM

Fox almost put on that stupid OJ Simpson show, so anything is patently possible with them.

Bandoman 11-22-06 09:14 AM

Harriet has a nice bod. :up:

Good ep, I liked the way they handled the Ricky and Ron situation. I bet we'll see them again either later this season or early next season (if there is a second season).

Original Desmond 11-24-06 06:43 AM

Glad the show is moving towards showing any of the sketches cos they suck

the drama behind the scenes is not bad at all