Reload this Page >

Doctor Who -- "The Impossible Planet" -- 11/17/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-18-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

OMG this episode was awsome! But it had to be a 2 parter??!!?!? GRrrrrr!

I knew something was funny with that one guy from the moment you saw him, but regardless, all of the actors just clicked!! Missing the hottie though.

I can't wait until next week!

Only two weeks after that and we're done with the season?

Anybody know who played the 20 year old, the arms guy and the captain? I really like them and would be interested to know if they've been in anything else notable.
Old 11-18-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Anybody know who played the 20 year old, the arms guy and the captain? I really like them and would be interested to know if they've been in anything else notable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Impossible_Planet#Cast

20-year-old Scooti was played by MyAnna Buring:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyAnna_Buring

Mr. Jefferson was played by Danny Webb:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Webb_(film_actor)

Captain Zachary Cross Flane was played by Shaun Parkes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Parkes
Old 11-18-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
yep, i hope more people saw last night's episode. it was my second favorite of the season (after Girl in the Fireplace). very atmospheric, creepy.
Old 11-19-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best episode since the new iteration started....felt like a GOOD space horror movie...everything was perfect
Old 11-19-06, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shades of "Event Horizon"?
Old 11-19-06, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
Shades of "Event Horizon"?
Very "Event Horizon" -- minus the R-rated gore, some super-silly action sequences, and the jive-talking comic relief black guy (though we got some Rose/Doctor silly banter in its place to balance out). But its hard not to see the scenes with the letter-covered possessed guy and not think of Sam Niell's character. I thought it was great. Yeah, shades of other stuff but it worked -- the voices and visual flashes (like that screaming demon that appeared on the holoscreen for a sec) were really effective at building a creepy atmosphere. Didn't know it was a 2-parter going in, so my fears of a rushed ending were allieved.

How many more episodes of this season are there? I know there are episode guides online, but its hard not to get hit with spoilers (sometimes just from the ep titles).
Old 11-19-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

5 episodes left. The second part of this episode, two duds (in my opinion) and then two really really good episodes that finish off the season.
Old 11-19-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
5 episodes left. The second part of this episode, two duds (in my opinion) and then two really really good episodes that finish off the season.
Completely agree. This great two-parter on now (my favorite two episodes of the season - they're like a little sci-fi movie) is followed by (IMO) the two absolute worst episodes of the season. But then the show recovers with a very good two-part finale to end the season.
Old 12-04-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No thread on the conclusion ("The Satan Pit") episode of this two-parter?
Old 12-04-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess not.

I liked it. I would have liked to have known how something like that could have been captured and chained....but oh well.

I also didn't buy the "I must have landed on a puff of warm air" explaination. But oh well.
Old 12-05-06, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
I liked it. I would have liked to have known how something like that could have been captured and chained...
Obviously the work of the Face of Boe.
Old 12-05-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Obviously the work of the Face of Boe.
How so? Do we really have that much information about the Face?

Liked it and glad to see it followed the chemistry of the first part.

Didn't like that guy still being possessed. Bit lame.

Wish we had found out more about that civilization that was responsible (Boe or No Boe).

Great to find out at the end they were from Torchwood.
Old 12-05-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MODS: Please changed title to add: / "The Satan Pit" -- 12/1/06
Old 12-05-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I also thought that the two parter was some the of the best so far. I was worried that the 2nd part would be kinda lame after a great build up, but I thought it satisfied greatly.
Old 12-08-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Palaver
I also thought that the two parter was some the of the best so far. I was worried that the 2nd part would be kinda lame after a great build up, but I thought it satisfied greatly.
If you're worried about "lame", then watch out for the next two episodes. (Luckily, the series recovers after those two misfires.)
Old 12-09-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
If you're worried about "lame", then watch out for the next two episodes. (Luckily, the series recovers after those two misfires.)
Hopefully people won't give up after the next two episodes because the final two are pretty damn cool!
Old 12-10-06, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Hopefully people won't give up after the next two episodes because the final two are pretty damn cool!
Good thing I was prepared for the suckitude this week. Quite a change, going from the intensity of the last 2-parter to Scooby Doo monster chases. Though I like they tried to something different, and at times I found myself warming to the episode. But then they would throw something really bad at me again (like that bizarre Jackie seduction sequence, and "Ursula-on-a-brick"). Is next week worse than this?
Old 12-10-06, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd do Jackie.

Why not.
Old 12-10-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd do Jackie.

Why not.
I didn't think it was bad because Jackie isn't "do-able" (I'd do her too ). I thought it was bad because the scene would've been overly silly and contrived for an episode of "Three's Company", let alone "Doctor Who".
Old 12-10-06, 10:54 PM
Cool New Member

"Love and Monsters" didn't seem all that bad to me. From all the reviews, I was prepared for the worst. It is easily the weakest episode so far from Series 2, but I appreciate that they tried something different. My least favorite episode is still the first one with the Slytheen.

It's nice to see Jackie let go of Rose and come to terms with her travels, even if it means she's lonely now. If there is one thing this episode did right, it's that they made the shrill and tacky Jackie sympathetic.

A very silly episode, but not the train wreck I was prepared for. I don't think this would be the first episode I'd show to sell a newbie on the series.
Old 12-11-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I started a season 2 general discussion thread because this show doesn't get a lot of traffic (ie 17 posts for three episodes). Now a single episode thread is turning into one.
Old 12-11-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I'd totally bang Jackie
Old 12-11-06, 03:39 PM

Put me in the "I think Jackie's hot" camp as well.

Spoilers, I guess:

I kinda liked this episode, and I was with it all the way up to the point where the Doctor reconstituted Ursula's face in the slab. If it had ended right before that it would've made the ep 10 times better. Ursula (or should I say "Moaning Myrtle) surviving as a disembodied face? How exactly is she surviving? Can she eat? Does she need to? How's she breathe without lungs? Or talk? Where's her brain? Doesn't look like a lot of room for one in her 2 inch thick slab. And why would she never age in that state?

Her comment that it's not so bad once you get used to it almost made me fall off the couch. Really? You can get used to being nothing but a face? That seems unlikely. And I could have really done without the "we even have a love life of sorts" comment. Eww.

Do yourself a favor and change the channel right before the Doctor "fixes" everything.
Old 12-11-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Avoid next week's episode. IMO Fear Her is one of the worse Who stories ever...and that's saying a lot. Definately the worse of Series Two.

Take a week off and wait for the two-part finale instead.
Old 12-11-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Avoid next week's episode. IMO Fear Her is one of the worse Who stories ever...and that's saying a lot. Definately the worse of Series Two.

Take a week off and wait for the two-part finale instead.
He's got that right and to add to that the little girl makes the episode even more annoying that it would have been without her.
The writers must have been spending most of their time with the last two episodes of the season because it sure doesn't seem like they spent much time on this one.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.