DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   FX renews It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/483053-fx-renews-its-always-sunny-philadelphia.html)

MrX 11-08-06 02:44 PM

FX renews It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

15 episodes for season 3 and DeVito signed through a sixth season, if it makes it that far:up:

Sunny' keeps shining on FX
Net brings back laffer for third season
By DENISE MARTIN

'It's Alway Sunny in Philadelphia'
FX has greenlit 15 new half-hours of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” to begin production next spring, up from 10 last season.
FX is bringing back critically acclaimed laffer "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" for a third season.

Danny DeVito has committed to continue as a series regular for all subsequent seasons.

Renewal makes "Sunny" the most successful comedy on basic cable in recent years. Skein is one of the few scripted, live-action primetime laffers to make it to a third season on ad-supported cable.

FX has greenlit 15 new half-hours to begin production next spring for a premiere in summer. Order reps an increase from 10 episodes last season and seven in the first.

Though ratings for the last season were modest relative to those of FX's other originals, "Sunny" posted year-to-year gains and earned critical raves.

Second season averaged 1.3 million total viewers and 880,000 adults 18-49, up 15% and 18%, respectively, from the show's first season. Over each episode's four-run cume, skein delivered 3.1 million viewers overall on average and 2.1 million in the 18-49 demo.

"Sunny," which stars Charlie Day, Rob McElhenney, Glenn Howerton and Kaitlin Olson, centers on the misadventures of four friends who own a bar in Philadelphia.

DeVito joined the cast in the second season as the clingy dad of Dennis (Howerton) and Sweet Dee (Olson), who attempts to recapture his youth by hanging out with his kids. Role reps DeVito's first regular TV series gig since "Taxi."

Should "Sunny" last beyond next year, DeVito has agreed to remain as a cast member through season six. He'll shoot his scenes for the upcoming season over a couple of two- to three-week periods this spring.

FX produces "Sunny." Exec producers are McElhenney, Howerton, Day, Michael Rotenberg, Nick Frenkel and John Fortenberry.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...id=14&cs=1&p=0

RichC2 11-08-06 02:54 PM

Skein?

But awesome news :up: :up:

bralph 11-08-06 02:57 PM

Fantastic. I love this show.

B.A. 11-08-06 02:59 PM

Sweet.

How much can I get for $200?

Jimmy James 11-08-06 03:09 PM

This is great news. I need to hunt this show down on DVD if it has been released. I tried to DVR episodes when they re-aired ending a few weeks back, but they were always on after Nip/Tuck and were tough to get because they didn't start properly at the top/bottom of an hour.

bralph 11-08-06 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
This is great news. I need to hunt this show down on DVD if it has been released. I tried to DVR episodes when they re-aired ending a few weeks back, but they were always on after Nip/Tuck and were tough to get because they didn't start properly at the top/bottom of an hour.

It hasn't been released on DVD. :sad:

SonOfAStu 11-08-06 03:28 PM

Grabbed the first couple seasons illegally. I'll give em a shot and if it's good, I'll tune in to F/X for season three.

Cardiff Giant11 11-08-06 03:56 PM

nice, this show rules.

boogieman03 11-08-06 03:59 PM

Excellent!

bboisvert 11-08-06 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Skein?

Annoying Variety slang for "TV show":

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=slanguage

KenKeith 11-08-06 04:33 PM

the welfare episode was hilarious

Jimmy James 11-08-06 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by keit2208
the welfare episode was hilarious

I think I have seen all but about 3 or 4 episodes at this point, and I'd suggest all but about 2 were very funny and that about half of them were hilarious.

BDB 11-08-06 06:14 PM

The show is great, I like how its short. I don't love the idea of devito coming back the cast had more than enough for me without him/

MechanicalMan 11-08-06 06:58 PM

Great news, but this show didn't need DeVito, and I think I would enjoy it more without him.

Jimmy James 11-08-06 07:56 PM

I think DeVito is a necessary evil. He doesn't drag the show down, but a minute with him is a minute less with the others. His presence does give the network something to sell to get people in the door, though.

invisiblegt 11-08-06 08:12 PM

I do have to agree... The show was stronger without DeVito, but if having him on the show means I get more episodes, then so be it.

Here's hoping for an eventual DVD release...

dadaluholla 11-08-06 09:46 PM

2nd best show on FX and easily one of the funniest on ANY channel. They need to get seasons one and two out on DVD ASAP before I go America all over everybody's ass.

Spiderbite 11-08-06 11:22 PM

Great news. I just discovered this show this past summer and it has become one of my favorite comedies of all time. It's like Seinfeld but for assholes like me.

Now give us some news on a dvd release!

movieking 11-09-06 06:28 AM

This is probably my favorite comedy in the last two years. Just about every episode is hilarious. What other show will have their main characters become addicts to get welfare, or try to nail each other's mothers, or try to get underage kids into their bar? I loved their musical takes on More Than Words and Just A Friend. Great stuff.

DJLinus 11-09-06 05:20 PM

Awesome news. Here's hoping the DVDs will be released soon (since nothing was put out before season 2, I figured they'd just combine both seasons eventually to promote a possible third one).

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
It's like Seinfeld but for assholes like me.

I believe someone on this board made a very apt description: that this show is like "Seinfeld" with four Costanzas.

MechanicalMan 11-09-06 07:35 PM

FWIW, this is on Kaitlin Olson's myspace page: "The dvds of seasons 1 and 2 should be out in the spring."

RichC2 08-21-07 10:17 AM

The DVDs of Season 1 and 2 are set for September 4th (Both seasons in 1 collection), and there is a "MySpace exclusive episode" (the first episode of season 3??) on their MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/sunnyfx

Pepperjack love Fraggle Rock.

Season 3 starts Thursday, September 13th, 10:00 pm.

SonOfAStu 08-21-07 10:51 AM

:banana:

JPRaup 08-21-07 11:00 AM

Can't wait. Its going to be a good fall. This, The Office, Scrubs, Dexter, 30 Rock. :)

movieking 08-21-07 12:56 PM

Excellent! A no brainer purchase for me. I've got some gift certificates kicking around that will now be put to good use.