DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Studio 60 - 11/6/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/482856-studio-60-11-6-06-a.html)

Patman 11-06-06 07:45 PM

Studio 60 - 11/6/06

Didn't see a thread for tonight's episode, so here it is. (Please merge if there is an earlier thread).

"Nevada Day Part 1"

This episode played like a screwball comedy of real life events. As the title would suggest, it's at least a 2-parter. The cast still isn't quite gelling together and running on all cylinders, but it's improving.

magiccmom 11-06-06 07:58 PM

I had to reset my DVR and when I got to Studio 60 I decided I didnt really care about it. I hadnt even watched last weeks yet...so I didnt reset it to tape. I hope I dont regret it, but I'm giving it up.

movieking 11-06-06 08:07 PM

I was going to start a thread last night after watching it, but didn't bother. I liked the episode, but hope they don't have a lot of episodes with hijinx like these every week.

Jimmy James 11-06-06 10:01 PM

I wondered when Sorkin would pull one of these. It was fun, but I have to agree that it can't be an every-week kind of thing. Even making it a two parter is pushing it.

girlnextdoor 11-06-06 10:25 PM

My favorite so far. We had to pause it twice because we were laughing so much.

MrX 11-06-06 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
I had to reset my DVR and when I got to Studio 60 I decided I didnt really care about it. I hadnt even watched last weeks yet...so I didnt reset it to tape. I hope I dont regret it, but I'm giving it up.

It wasn't on last week

I thought it was good, but basically just a filler to setup next weeks episode.

Looking forward to next weeks since it looks like we'll get more of Goodman's character.

Jimmy James 11-06-06 10:50 PM

By the way, does anybody have a guess as to whether the previously on segment was a concession to the suits at NBC? I don't recall them having one before now.

TheKing 11-06-06 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
By the way, does anybody have a guess as to whether the previously on segment was a concession to the suits at NBC? I don't recall them having one before now.

They had it two weeks ago.

lotsofdvds 11-07-06 07:59 AM

They've always had the "previously on" segments. They're usually pretty brief though.

marty888 11-07-06 08:12 AM

Fun episode! John Goodman was terrific - it seemed as if he was channeling some of his characterization on the role he played in <i>Matinee</i>.

boogieman03 11-07-06 08:26 AM

Alright, let's hear it. Who liked/disliked the Jesus sketch?

I thought it was pretty funny.

mdc3000 11-07-06 08:35 AM

I thought the censor sketch was actually decent... a fine episode that started slow but got really good... Loved the Jordan stuff and I think Nate Corddry is pretty good in this role.... an enjoyable episode that will hopefully pay off next week.

movieking 11-07-06 08:41 AM

The Jesus sketch was funny.

DRG 11-07-06 08:54 AM

I actually thought this one the best one since the pilot. It addressed a lot of issues I've had with the show... they finally showed us some fresh scenery for one. We got more 'political balance' with John Goodman's opening speech and the confrontation with the gay guys. And the one skit they featured was actually a funny idea, although I still wasn't 100% sold on their execution of the idea in the rehearsal. I also liked finally seeing another side to Jack. In fact, this episode really fleshed out a lot of the things that felt superficial to me up to this point. It may be too little, too late for the show though... this is probably an episode they should've done earlier to grab the general audiences when they were still paying attention.

das Monkey 11-07-06 09:01 AM

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit, but they really need to find a target other than Christians -- if not because it runs away heartland viewers like John Goodman, then because it's just getting tedious.

das

Patman 11-07-06 09:42 AM

Was it just me, or did we learn that gays are easy pushovers?

boogieman03 11-07-06 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
Was it just me, or did we learn that gays are easy pushovers?

:rimshot:

The Valeyard 11-07-06 10:05 AM

rotfl!!!

cornflakeguy 11-07-06 10:37 AM

I agree with das. It seems Studio 60 (the sketch show) pokes fun at Christians the way Saturday Night Live pokes fun at Bush. It's an instant greenlit sketch.

But concerning the seed of that sketch....who REALLY cares that much if they can't use "Jesus!" or "Christ!" as an exclamation? Talk about not picking your battles.

Geofferson 11-07-06 11:00 AM

I too enjoyed last night's episode - John Goodman was pretty good.

Side note, I ate at that Mel's Drive-In a couple months back (on Highland, I believe)...was cool to see it in last night's ep.

Bandoman 11-07-06 11:55 AM

I loved this episode. I was either laughing or grinning uncontrollably the whole time. Goodman was great. The Chinese viola playing chick was funny,

Jobronie 11-07-06 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
I agree with das. It seems Studio 60 (the sketch show) pokes fun at Christians the way Saturday Night Live pokes fun at Bush. It's an instant greenlit sketch.

But concerning the seed of that sketch....who REALLY cares that much if they can't use "Jesus!" or "Christ!" as an exclamation? Talk about not picking your battles.

It's something how times change, sometimes so quickly. I remember a few years ago how Howard and other jocks made it absolutely clear that you couldn't use "Jesus Christ" on the radio. We found it funny that he would say all that he did, but he always sugarcoated or tiptoed around "JC".

Now, you hear it all over the dial......

movieking 11-07-06 04:48 PM

Reminds me of the Newsradio episode where Phil Hartman was fined over saying penis over and over again.

LasVegasMichael 11-07-06 04:49 PM

I enjoyed this episode. Dramatic, yet comical. Of course, you can't go wrong with Goodman, IMO.

B.A. 11-07-06 05:16 PM

My favorite ep of the series so far. I'm not sure why - maybe because there was a different location or two. Maybe it was because there was limited use of Matthew Perry - I like him on the show, but he doesn't always have to be so front and center (same goes for Brad Whitford).