DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dexter - "Return to Sender" - 11/05/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/482759-dexter-return-sender-11-05-06-a.html)

MrX 11-05-06 11:40 AM

Dexter - "Return to Sender" - 11/05/06

"Return to Sender"
Spoiler:
The Ice Truck Killer leaves a surprise for Dexter.

Geofferson 11-06-06 08:13 AM

Great episode last night. Close call for Dex...

DGibFen 11-06-06 08:26 AM

After reading the book "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" (to which this season is based on), I'm surprised how they have been able to incorporate the major plot points of the book into the season. I'm still curious if they are going to (major spoiler)...

Spoiler:
reveal that Dexter's brother is the ice truck killer; as well as the death of La Guetra.

Excellent episode. Perhaps the best since the first couple of shows this season.

Birrman54 11-06-06 09:44 AM

I'm really enjoying this show, I thought last night was possibly the best episode yet.

How long is this season scheduled for? 12 eps?

MrX 11-06-06 01:45 PM

He uses Patrick Bateman as his aliasrotfl

I thought it was a good episode as well.

Good to see Rita toughening up.

Gunde 11-06-06 03:24 PM

Still the best new show by far!
There's just nothing else like it

Gizmo 11-06-06 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by DGibFen
After reading the book "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" (to which this season is based on), I'm surprised how they have been able to incorporate the major plot points of the book into the season. I'm still curious if they are going to (major spoiler)...

Spoiler:
reveal that Dexter's brother is the ice truck killer; as well as the death of La Guetra.

Excellent episode. Perhaps the best since the first couple of shows this season.

CRAP! I just started reading the book and thought that was a spoiler for an upcoming episode (by mistake). Oh well.

brainee 11-06-06 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
He uses Patrick Bateman as his aliasrotfl

Yeah, that's sort of asking to be caught, isn't it :)

I loved the reveal of the police sketch. I always suspected He had a mean streak, and would forget about the "turn the other cheek" philosophy if pushed hard enough.

When the series started I wasn't sure how long they could keep the storyline going, but so far so good. There always seems to enough stuff in each show to keep it interesting. Wrapping up the "Ice Truck Killer" story in Season 1 (or early in Season 2) would be nice pacing. So far there's no sign of the rumored "comedy" shift in tone, so maybe those reports were overblown. "Dexter" works quite well the way it is now: balance of police procedure, horror/thriller, drama, and black comedy.

Frenzy 11-06-06 04:39 PM

How are the qoutes of Dexter? I like the show as well a lot.

brainee 11-06-06 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Frenzy
How are the qoutes of Dexter? I like the show as well a lot.

:confused: You mean reviews? "Dexter" seems to be getting great reviews. But that counts for little with American tv ... what matters is how many people watch it and how much revenue it generates. But I would think "Dexter" is doing well, considering it got renewed for a second season.

Patman 11-06-06 06:44 PM

The look on Dex's face when the wife's body is revealed at the crime scene was excellent. Also laughed at the "Patrick Bateman" alias he used. Rita's definitely not the pushover we met just 6 episodes ago.

Frenzy 11-07-06 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by brainee
:confused: You mean reviews? "Dexter" seems to be getting great reviews. But that counts for little with American tv ... what matters is how many people watch it and how much revenue it generates. But I would think "Dexter" is doing well, considering it got renewed for a second season.

Oops, I meant of course ratings. Wrong word. ;)

Roto 11-07-06 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Great episode last night. Close call for Dex...

Yeah, ballsy writing. At the beginning I'm thinking, "Yeah whatever. If he gets caught there is no show left." but the further it went along I started getting worried.

I really liked the backstory on his relationship with his sister in this one.

VitiminJ 11-08-06 08:33 AM

I love the show, I hope they sell the DVD for as cheap as they did with The Brotherhood.

DJLinus 11-09-06 05:31 PM

Dr. Patrick Bateman :lol:

As much as I'm digging "Heroes" and "30 Rock", this is definitely my favorite new show.

Last week answered one question for me (where the heck does Dexter dispose of his victims?), but Sunday's episode brought up another one for me. In the books, is there ever any mention of his victims by the public, post-murder? It seems weird that all of these people (all scum, but some leading "normal" double lives) could "disappear" with nary a peep about them. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much.

Bobby Shalom 11-10-06 12:24 PM

Absolutely love this show, and this might be a total nipick, but I had a question regarding this episode.

Is it possible to go into someone elses email, and edit an incoming message? Even if it was just an attachment, would he be able to edit out text and then save it back to that email message?

Because it just looked like he deleted Patrick Bateman, and then closed the email account. Just wondering.

Dave99 11-10-06 11:38 PM

yes. Not sure what email client they were using, but I just did it in Outlook to see, worked just like it showed. It wouldn't hold up to a detailed investigation(server logs etc), but if he didn't suspect anything, there would never be a reason to look.

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
Absolutely love this show, and this might be a total nipick, but I had a question regarding this episode.

Is it possible to go into someone elses email, and edit an incoming message? Even if it was just an attachment, would he be able to edit out text and then save it back to that email message?

Because it just looked like he deleted Patrick Bateman, and then closed the email account. Just wondering.

Dave99 11-10-06 11:43 PM

I think that's why miami was a good set for this show. Florida is filled with people who just end up there (not raised there), and so disappearing might not seem so unusual. Since dexter is careful (normally), to conceal his tracks and not have bodies discovered, it's just chalked up to another missing persons case, assuming anyone even bothers to look for them or notify the police.

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Last week answered one question for me (where the heck does Dexter dispose of his victims?), but Sunday's episode brought up another one for me. In the books, is there ever any mention of his victims by the public, post-murder? It seems weird that all of these people (all scum, but some leading "normal" double lives) could "disappear" with nary a peep about them. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much.

johnnysd 11-10-06 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dave99
I think that's why miami was a good set for this show. Florida is filled with people who just end up there (not raised there), and so disappearing might not seem so unusual. Since dexter is careful (normally), to conceal his tracks and not have bodies discovered, it's just chalked up to another missing persons case, assuming anyone even bothers to look for them or notify the police.

It is still the part of the show that bothers me. It would not take many disappearances for the police to realize that they have a serial vigilante on their hands. Enjoy it a lot, though not nearly as much as Heroes.

Lone Wolf 11-11-06 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
It is still the part of the show that bothers me. It would not take many disappearances for the police to realize that they have a serial vigilante on their hands. Enjoy it a lot, though not nearly as much as Heroes.

Spoiler:
If I'm remembering correctly, according to the book, he's only made around 30 or so kills over the course of his life. It seems like the people move around a lot also. The drunk driver he killed on the show who would get aquitted and then move to a new city. I believe the priest had moved around a bit also.

Has anyone read the second book yet? I haven't picked it up yet. As good as the first?

EDIT
Spoiler:
From Amazon.com review of second book. "Dexter's just added his 40th victim." That's not that many while taking into account the size of the city, the fact that he doesn't leave bodies or evidence, and as I metioned before about some victims being out of towners.

Cusm 11-11-06 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Super J
Spoiler:
If I'm remembering correctly, according to the book, he's only made around 30 or so kills over the course of his life. It seems like the people move around a lot also. The drunk driver he killed on the show who would get aquitted and then move to a new city. I believe the priest had moved around a bit also.

Has anyone read the second book yet? I haven't picked it up yet. As good as the first?

EDIT
Spoiler:
From Amazon.com review of second book. "Dexter's just added his 40th victim." That's not that many while taking into account the size of the city, the fact that he doesn't leave bodies or evidence, and as I metioned before about some victims being out of towners.

I really enjoyed the second one almost as much as the first, and am hopeful for a third.