TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica - "Torn" - 11/03/06

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
You've got to be fucking kidding.
No, I'm not fucking kidding. A lot of this season has taken place outside of Galatica (on New Caprica and the cylon baseship), and I don't care for that. I'm not interested in a planet-based show, and I think the less we know about cylons makes them more mysterious and interesting. As a comparison, I think Darth Maul from "The Phantom Menace" and Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy were both badass partly because of their mystique. The Prequels, however, filled in Vader's backstory and now he's not as cool IMHO.
Old 11-07-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
No, I'm not fucking kidding. A lot of this season has taken place outside of Galatica (on New Caprica and the cylon baseship), and I don't care for that. I'm not interested in a planet-based show, and I think the less we know about cylons makes them more mysterious and interesting. As a comparison, I think Darth Maul from "The Phantom Menace" and Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy were both badass partly because of their mystique. The Prequels, however, filled in Vader's backstory and now he's not as cool IMHO.
So what exactly should the show be? A bunch of explosions and intra-Galactica relationships? Last I checked, Colonial One wasn't Galactica or any other vessel in the fleet. That eliminates Roslin and Zarek as "interesting" characters.

Well, the good news is that we're off New Caprica so you won't have to worry about that anymore. But, I think that without that short stint (what, 4 episodes?) on NC, that you wouldn't have any of the intra-Galactica conflict we've had for the last 2 episodes.
Old 11-07-06, 03:13 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
No, I'm not fucking kidding. A lot of this season has taken place outside of Galatica (on New Caprica and the cylon baseship), and I don't care for that. I'm not interested in a planet-based show,
I love spaceships as much as the next SciFi geek, but I'm happy with where the writers are taking this show. I feared that the settlement of New Caprica was going to bog things down, but it really didn't, and what the New Capricans endured was necessary to set up the internal strife within the human fleet, which I'm sure will bear fruit for the remainder of this season and beyond.

and I think the less we know about cylons makes them more mysterious and interesting. As a comparison, I think Darth Maul from "The Phantom Menace" and Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy were both badass partly because of their mystique. The Prequels, however, filled in Vader's backstory and now he's not as cool IMHO.
So what you're saying is, the more we strive to understand the enemy, the more chance we might find out that he/she isn't as evil as we want to believe? "Not scary" doesn't necessarily equate with "less interesting." I want to know why the Cylons are acting as they are, how they came to believe in on God, whether this belief is universal among them, what divisions there are among them, etc. Sure, a faceless, remorseless enemy is visceraly entertaining, but for how many seasons could the writers really keep that up and keep it interesting?

This show is the best SciFi since B5, IMO. Intelligent writing, good acting and good effects. I really can't ask for more.
Old 11-07-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Another example in fiction, in Star Trek IV (gods help me for dragging Trek into this). Kirk was demoted to Captain for disobeying orders to avoid Earth while the Probe was wreaking havoc. However, he had been miserable as a deskbound Admiral, and was far happier being back in the center seat of a ship, so it wasn't a real punishment. I'm thinking Lee was given the same option by the old man.
actually, the orders Kirk was charged with violating were to not go to Genesis
they were all on trial for the events of ST3
Old 11-07-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
actually, the orders Kirk was charged with violating were to not go to Genesis
they were all on trial for the events of ST3
Sorry, my memory's not as good as it used to be regarding Trek, I have strayed from the path

We've already dragged Star Trek into this, did you have to bring Star Wars?

I pretty much disagree with your whole statement. Maul was a badass because he took on two Jedi at once and damn near beat them. Vader was a badass because in the OT he was a badass, even when we heard ObiWan's explanation in ROTJ, there was still an allure to Vader. In my opinion, Vader's backstory did change with the prequels, but to basically give him some depth instead of just a one-dimensional thug. There are, of course, some issues with the technical part of the storytelling, but as for the actual story, I don't have a big problem with it.

Which brings me to your point about the Cylons. I was never a big fan of the original Galactica, and trying to watch them now is pretty painful. The only bad guy with any depth is Baltar, and he's still just a mustache twirling villain, and the Cylons really are just walking toasters. Seeing what motivates the nuBSG Cylons (mainly, religion) is far more interesting and quite a bit more scary if you ask me.
Old 11-07-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
So what exactly should the show be?
Alien-of-the-week, a plucky young cadet who can solve any problem but still gets into mischief, and a reset button at the end of every episode! Make it happen, Ron Moore!
Old 11-07-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Alien-of-the-week, a plucky young cadet who can solve any problem but still gets into mischief, and a reset button at the end of every episode! Make it happen, Ron Moore!
That sounds remarkably like a show I ditched after episode 601 this September.
Old 11-08-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
That sounds remarkably like a show I ditched after episode 601 this September.

Okay, I'll bite, what's the show?
Old 11-08-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Smallville, I just couldn't bring myself to endure another reset-fest.
Old 11-09-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
[QUOTE=Bandoman]

So what you're saying is, the more we strive to understand the enemy, the more chance we might find out that he/she isn't as evil as we want to believe? "Not scary" doesn't necessarily equate with "less interesting." I want to know why the Cylons are acting as they are, how they came to believe in on God, whether this belief is universal among them, what divisions there are among them, etc. Sure, a faceless, remorseless enemy is visceraly entertaining, but for how many seasons could the writers really keep that up and keep it interesting?

QUOTE]

Speaking of cylons believing in one god, do they still believe this? Toward the end of Season 2, Dean Stockwell's character said there is no god. So which is it?

Here's another question... Do the writers/producers of this show really have a plan? At the start of every show, we see the words that say the cylons have a plan. Seems to me that plan keeps changing: First the cylons wanted to exterminate mankind; then they wanted to rule over them; now it seems they want to beat them to Earth. I'm starting to get the feeling that the writers are making it up as they go along instead of really having a plan for all of this. Any thoughts?
Old 11-09-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure: the cylons don't all agree on the same plan. That's pretty obvious from watching the different models interact. Heck, they've even got five models they're not even supposed to think about.

Again, this is called "giving the characters depth". Perhaps you would prefer Voyager's Kazon tribes, whose only justification for being so angry all the time was that Supercuts screwed up their perms?
Old 11-09-06, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Joe Schmoe]
Originally Posted by Bandoman

QUOTE]

Speaking of cylons believing in one god, do they still believe this? Toward the end of Season 2, Dean Stockwell's character said there is no god. So which is it?

Here's another question... Do the writers/producers of this show really have a plan? At the start of every show, we see the words that say the cylons have a plan. Seems to me that plan keeps changing: First the cylons wanted to exterminate mankind; then they wanted to rule over them; now it seems they want to beat them to Earth. I'm starting to get the feeling that the writers are making it up as they go along instead of really having a plan for all of this. Any thoughts?
1) They still beleive in God as they still reference God multiple times this season. As they are "learning" though, and they will always question ones exisistance(sp) especially when it realates to God (As some humans do).

2) I beleive they have a plan. If you watch the episodes the Cylons wanted to live in "peace" at least some of them...They saw that humans have many faults (in thier point of view) and they thought if they "lead" them to the corrrect "path" that everyone would be happy in the end. Now that the Cylons have learned that they cannot live together with the Humans they want to find "Earth" which they would probably have gotten from thier Human makers.....It is that the Cylons are trying to be more Human since they are made to look like humans but still havent found out what it is all "about"

This is all just MHO and I beleive that the conflicts give the characters depth also it shows that the Cylons can "grow" and are constantly "evolving"...I dunno I like they way the show is panning out and if they Cylons were one dementional that the show would lack something.......I like how they are taking the Cylons as an advanced typ of AI that is "conscience" of thier exisistance and questions what they ahve learned it brings them closer to being human which is (for some) what they want.......

Last edited by Ph8te; 11-09-06 at 10:36 PM.