DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Which monster show do you like better? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/482541-monster-show-do-you-like-better.html)

JasonF 11-02-06 04:15 PM

Which monster show do you like better?

Let's pretend I remembered to post this on Halloween like I intended ...

So in 1964, the American viewing public was treated to not one but two different shows featuring a family of ghoulish weirdos: the Addams Family and the Munsters. My question is a simple one -- which show do you like better.

When voting, please keep in mind that I am asking you only to asses the quality of the two shows that ran from 1964 through 1966. Don't base your vote on subsequent remakes, cartoons, movie version, etc.

dhmac 11-02-06 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
When voting, please keep in mind that I am asking you only to asses the quality of the two shows that ran from 1964 through 1966.

The quality of whose asses? Uncle Fester's?! Lurch's??? Or - oh, yes! - Marilyn's?? (Now that was a quality ass!)

;)

adamblast 11-02-06 05:16 PM

No contest as far as episode quality goes... Addams Family was largely well-written; The Munsters, for all its nostalgic charm, could never claim such.

JasonF 11-02-06 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
The quality of whose asses? Uncle Fester's?! Lurch's??? Or - oh, yes! - Marilyn's?? (Now that was a quality ass!)

;)

Don't make fun of my typo. :sad:

Besides, Morticia clearly had the best ass. :drool:

rw2516 11-02-06 06:07 PM

I love them both but Addams Family seems more intelligent to me. I see Addams Family as The Munsters for adults. Is AF the only show to have a masochist as a lead character?

Jimmy James 11-02-06 07:46 PM

The Addams Family in a walk. In the I Dream of Jeannie versus Bewitched contest, I go for Jeannie.

Bronkster 11-02-06 08:19 PM

What?! Jeannie was a total ripoff of Bewitched!

The Cow 11-02-06 08:32 PM

Munsters had cool cars. Gotta love the Munster Koach and the Dragula :up:

But I liked the Addams Family better.

Jimmy James 11-02-06 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster

Jeannie actually left the realm of torturing the straight man on occasion. It also had Larry Hagman and Barbara Eden. :)

critterdvd 11-02-06 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster

It might be a ripoff, but I also would agree that Jeannie was the better of the two shows...

redskull 11-02-06 09:35 PM

As a kid, I was a HUGE Munsters fan. All activity in our house had to stop so I could park it in front of our ONE tv and watch every week. The Munsters were cool and funny MONSTERS, for poop's sake. The Addam's family were just weird people. I had little or no interest in them.

However, as I've gotten older, my opinion has changed. The Munster's, while still enjoyable, seems more kid-oriented, while the Addam's Family definitely seems more adult (especially in Morticia and Gomez' interactions!).

So as hard as this is for me to admit, I've got to go with the Addam's Family.

Giantrobo 11-02-06 10:52 PM

I think a great comparison would be Marx Brothers V The Three Stooges.

Both legendary comedy teams, but the Marx Brother were always smarter in terms of their comedy when compared to the Three Stooges. Both used slapstick but the Stooges used far mora than the Marx Bros. Mind you, that in no way takes away from the Stooges. But it does put them in different leagues.

Marx Brothers =Addams
Stooges = Munsters

Chew 11-03-06 06:49 AM

Addams Family, no contest

Groucho 11-03-06 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I think a great comparison would be Marx Brothers V The Three Stooges.

I'm aware of the Three Stooges, haven't heard of the other guys. I'll have to check out their films!

lordwow 11-03-06 08:30 AM

I dislike both! Yesss.

Groucho 11-03-06 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by lordwow
I dislike both! Yesss.

Thanks for weighing in, Gollum.

Doug Heffernan 11-03-06 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by redskull
The Munsters were cool and funny MONSTERS, for poop's sake. The Addam's family were just weird people. I had little or no interest in them.

What about "thing?" what about "Cousin IT?" I suppose cousin It could have been just a weird dude with long hair though.

And let us not forget how the Addams Family started....

Giantrobo 11-03-06 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm aware of the Three Stooges, haven't heard of the other guys. I'll have to check out their films!

Don't bother, they're BANNED in Utah.

Charlie Goose 11-03-06 02:39 PM

I loved The Addams Family, but always disliked The Munsters.

Peep 11-03-06 03:04 PM

Like them both (for different reasons), but prefer "The Addams Family".

clckworang 11-03-06 03:10 PM

Munsters was a little too goofy for my tastes. As others have said, Munsters feels more kid oriented. Gotta go with the Addams Family.

dhmac 11-03-06 05:03 PM

The Addams Family would clearly win for me... if not for its awful laugh track. If ever a show would be drastically improved by losing the laugh track, this is the one. But with it, I rate the show equal with The Munsters.

Lone Wolf 11-03-06 08:21 PM

I had to go with the Addams Family. Although I do enjoy both shows.

I was thinking about the Munsters a few days ago. Did anyone watch the 80's remake? I believe this may have been my first experience with them. I don't remember watching the older one when I was a kid.