DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   I'm surprised no one has tried to do a new Wonder Years (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/482540-im-surprised-no-one-has-tried-do-new-wonder-years.html)

harrydoyle 11-02-06 04:04 PM

I'm surprised no one has tried to do a new Wonder Years

Kind of like how Dazed and Confused and Can't Hardly Wait are almost completely modeled after American Graffiti...I'm pretty surprised that one one has tried to make a TV show that's basically the same as the Wonder Years, it just involves growing up in the 70s or 80s. I know my parents would have watched that show just about no matter what, since the news and pop culture references reminded them so much of their childhood. I would probably be the same way if you could get a show where a kid was watching Superhero cartoons and sorting Tops 80s baseball cards.

Mopower 11-02-06 04:06 PM

Freaks and Geeks? Look how long that lasted.

JasonF 11-02-06 04:12 PM

Try Freaks and Geeks or That 70s Show. I imagine we'll start seeing 80s nostalgia shows in another 3-4 years.

Mopower 11-02-06 04:14 PM

That 80's Show was on for a few weeks back in 01.

DRG 11-02-06 04:45 PM

While it's a different tone, Eveybody Hates Chris is a 80s nostalgia piece.

My problem with shows and movies set in the 80s is that I grew up in that era and I'm too aware of the inaccuracies. I hate when they lump stuff from 1982 with stuff from 1987 and act like it all took place at the same time. Like making it seem like Atari 2600, Like a Virgin, and Spuds McKenzie were all popular simultaneously in some sort of generic 80s stew. I've always wondered if 50s/60s set movies were the same way but I just don't notice because I didn't live in those eras.

Groucho 11-02-06 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
I've always wondered if 50s/60s set movies were the same way but I just don't notice because I didn't live in those eras.

Eek! I just hope you aren't the person in charge of greenlighting my Greasers vs. Hippies screenplay.

harrydoyle 11-03-06 08:51 AM

Freaks and Geeks probably was the same style as Wonder Years, but I think you can make a strong argument that it failed because it wasn't marketed correctly, no? That 70s Show was just silly...a totally different genre. Only thing in common was the nostalgia.

But you guys brought up a good point, I guess I'm kind of underestimating how much The Wonder Years' greatness was based on its formulation more than its concept.

rfduncan 11-03-06 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by harrydoyle
Freaks and Geeks probably was the same style as Wonder Years, but I think you can make a strong argument that it failed because it wasn't marketed correctly, no?

That or because NBC didn't give it a chance. Such a crime that show didn't last. -ohbfrank-

Upper pylon 3 11-03-06 10:15 AM

I've always wished that they would do a new Wonder Years series, with a grown up Kevin Arnold, still played by Fred Savage. It could focus on his relationship with his son, married life, work life, friends, etc. It could take place in the late 80's and early 90's with Daniel Stern narrorating from another 20 years in the future. The theme song could be Joe Cocker's "When the night comes." Paul, Wayne, & Winnie could be regulars. Maybe even have Kevin's dad in flashbacks.

I envisioned the opening scene as this: Adult Kevin Arnold is typing his journal on his computer a la Doogie Howser. The camera pans on the screen and we see he is writing what were the closing lines of the original Wonder Years series:

Typewritten: ...as I look back, with Wonder."

Kevin's Son: Hey dad, wanna play ball.

Kevin: I'll be right there.

Kevin then turns off the monitor.

Cut to opening titles. Same black screen opening with "The Wonder Years II" or some such title. You hear the song: Hold on, i'll be back for you it won't be long... Lots of pictures of Kevin, Paul, Wayne, and Winnie older and younger. Then the song picks up, ... I just wanna be the one you run to, I just wanna be the one you come to...

That song fits perfectly the way it picks up tempo the same way With a little help from my friends does. It's a perfect fit. The instrumental music at the beginning of the song could be used during the closing credits.

bunkaroo 11-03-06 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Upper pylon 3
I've always wished that they would do a new Wonder Years series, with a grown up Kevin Arnold, still played by Fred Savage. It could focus on his relationship with his son, married life, work life, friends, etc. It could take place in the late 80's and early 90's with Daniel Stern narrorating from another 20 years in the future. The theme song could be Joe Cocker's "When the night comes." Paul, Wayne, & Winnie could be regulars. Maybe even have Kevin's dad in flashbacks.

I envisioned the opening scene as this: Adult Kevin Arnold is typing his journal on his computer a la Doogie Howser. The camera pans on the screen and we see he is writing what were the closing lines of the original Wonder Years series:

Cut to opening titles. Same black screen opening with "The Wonder Years II" or some such title. You hear the song: Hold on, i'll be back for you it won't be long... Lots of pictures of Kevin, Paul, Wayne, and Winnie older and younger. Then the song picks up, ... I just wanna be the one you run to, I just wanna be the one you come to...

That song fits perfectly the way it picks up tempo the same way With a little help from my friends does. It's a perfect fit. The instrumental music at the beginning of the song could be used during the closing credits.

That's got a strong "Stand By Me" resemblance.

harrydoyle 11-03-06 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Upper pylon 3

I'm sold! Pencil me in as a regular viewer (And Stand By me is my favorite movie of all time, so proceed with the Stand By Me feel).

Upper pylon 3 11-03-06 10:56 AM

I have never seen that movie, but I just added it to my list.

PacMan2006 11-03-06 10:57 AM

It's interesting...Wonder Years is the only show where...once every once in a while, I truly WISH I could know what the characters are up to this day. Are Kevin/Paul still friends? How is his relationship with his brother, etc...

I don't think an adult version of the Wonder Years would work. I think the appeal of the show was him looking back on his childhood, and seeing things he learned and how it ultimately shaped him.

As far as Wonder Years clones...I've often wondered this too. If you are talking about a show that takes place in the past, but that is comedy--something like a Everybody Hates Chris/70's Show...then that's different. But if you are talking more about dramedy's...then I agree.

I don't know...maybe exec's feel this kind of shows won't work? For me, it wouldn't even necessarily have to take place in the past...I'd just like a show that was "real" about young people/young adults that was in the vein of a Wonder Years or Freaks and Geeks. Where everything doesn't necessarily end well each episode, where you truly have emotional connections with the characters and can relate to their circumstances, and where the main characters have true faults and insecurities.

SoSpacey 11-03-06 10:58 AM

It could be a coming of age for the early 30s generation. Instead of focusing on his coming of age as a child, it focuses on his growth as a parent.

Winnie could be his cumare who lives around the corner in an apartment he put her up in and he goes for a little "tlc" every time he fights with us uptight wife.

Wait, the second part is my fantasy.

harrydoyle 11-03-06 01:29 PM

I always remember feeling like Daniel Stern's soliloquies at the end of an episode really opened my eyes. Maybe it's because I was young, but dang I miss getting that from a TV show. And at the risk of violating multiple board rules and changing the subject a bit and spoiling things for anyone going throught he whole series on DVD, but it still pisses me off today to think about them killing off the dad in the final episode! Made my teenage rump cry!

PacMan2006 11-03-06 01:33 PM

It's not just that you were young. I rewatched all the eps about two years ago...and I was 22 at the time. The show is the only program I can think of where I not only enjoyed it from a entertainment level, but a personal one. Not only could I identify with the characters, but certain aspects of the show or storylines made me think over things that were happening/happened in my own life.

Big Boy Laroux 11-03-06 02:09 PM

I always remember feeling like Daniel Stern's soliloquies at the end of an episode really opened my eyes. Maybe it's because I was young, but dang I miss getting that from a TV show.

i'd say the closest thing to this now on TV is scrubs. Sure, it's more of a comedy, but the voiceovers at the end actually do give helpful insight.

Septemberbaby 11-03-06 03:16 PM

I LOVED the Wonder Years... I think they're supposed to be reairing or will soon be reairing them on PAX now "I"?? I'll have to check my guide when I get home.

My favorite storyline was with Kevin and his math teacher. Wonderful!!

Jay G. 11-03-06 04:41 PM

I'm pretty surprised that one one has tried to make a TV show that's basically the same as the Wonder Years

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Oliver Beene.