DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   O'Reilly Vs. Letterman 10/28/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/482018-oreilly-vs-letterman-10-28-06-a.html)

vegasbaby 10-27-06 11:11 PM

O'Reilly Vs. Letterman 10/28/06

2 pinheads going at it ...

Good TV.

Cant stand O'Reilly. Arrogant blowhard.

skatefan20 10-27-06 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by vegasbaby

Cant stand O'Reilly. Arrogant blowhard.

Yes, and Letterman's a f**kin' douchebag, not doing any homework on his guests (or current events) and instead going for the big laughs...though I admit I cracked up at his zinger about the "Culture Warrior" bookcover:

http://i14.tinypic.com/2aabhno.gif
"...what is it, a book about sailing?"

Terrell 10-28-06 03:30 AM

O'Reilly's a far bigger douchebag than Letterman could ever be.

dolphinboy 10-28-06 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by skatefan20
Yes, and Letterman's a f**kin' douchebag, not doing any homework on his guests (or current events) and instead going for the big laughs...though I admit I cracked up at his zinger about the "Culture Warrior" bookcover:

http://i14.tinypic.com/2aabhno.gif
"...what is it, a book about sailing?"

Other than being correct about the joke about Bill's book on sailing, nothing...not one single point you tried to make...makes any sense.

Not doing any homework or his guests or current events?

Going for big laughs?

Were you tuning in expecting Nightline or Letterman?

And the two had a pretty good debate and got in their jabs between the satire and comedy.

When Letterman says he doesn't know anything or can't find the Fox News Channel, he's making a joke, disarming O'Reilly, and not setting himself up to look like a pompous jackass who knows everything and should be telling everyone exactly what's right and what's wrong. He did that to illustrate what a blowhard O'Reilly is and it worked really well.

Giantrobo 10-28-06 06:40 AM

Bill is a huge dickweed. With that said, I happen to love Letterman but these back and forth bitching matches with O'Reilly are pretty lame.

If you don't like him then don't have him on....

coli 10-28-06 08:01 AM

I love Letterman and have watched him consistently since 1982, but this was Letterman at his worst. I watch the Late Night Shows for laughs, and that is what Letterman is king at, and if I want to watch a political show, I will watch Chris Matthews or Hannity & Colmes.

Letterman did not interview O'Reilly, he was just angry the whole interview, and you could see he hates the guy and hates his politics.

NOTE TO DAVE & JAY: Don't put these guys on and discuss politics, it is awkward, not funny, and it shows your true bias views that you always try to hide in other instances.

MovieExchange 10-28-06 08:55 AM

I didn't see last night's show, but the mistake Letterman made on the previous encounter was to try and call Bill on his numerous lies without having any facts at hand. It's a rare time that these conservative liars appear on a show where they can be confronted about their BS (Limbaugh steadfastly refuses to appear on a show where he can be confronted, especially after his David Letterman experience), so it's disheartening to see Letterman bumble around and basically make it look like there's nothing wrong with O'Reilly's antics.

Jimmy James 10-28-06 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
it's disheartening to see Letterman bumble around and basically make it look like there's nothing wrong with O'Reilly's antics.

That's why one would go on Letterman if one is Bill O'Reilly. He wasn't there to get owned.

aktick 10-28-06 10:11 AM

I missed this, but I've seen O'Reilly on Letterman before. Everybody (no matter where your political bias lies) knows O'Reilly is a pompous ass. So when Letterman stoops to that level, he's the one who loses. And it's always so clear that he's annoyed by Bill, who I'm sure just laughs it off as free publicity.

wm lopez 10-28-06 12:23 PM

O'Reilly reported when the 9/11 victims weren't getting the money that we the public had donated when all those hollywood stars were asking us for. He did have some of the victims on his show and said so. He reports on these judges who let child molestors off with 3 month sentences.
He reports on how the ACLU defends the NAMBLA org and the captured terrorists.
And how the ACLU doesn't want people searched on N.Y. subways, but people searched when they come into the ACLU building.
And O'Reilly is a bad guy?

Septemberbaby 10-28-06 01:01 PM

I don't think O'Reilly is a douchbag or dickweed (?? What is that exactly? :) )
I do think he's a narcissist, and you can't win when you go up against a narcissist. I missed the Letterman thing but he was on Oprah yesterday afternoon and he proved just that.

MovieExchange 10-28-06 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
O'Reilly reported when the 9/11 victims weren't getting the money that we the public had donated when all those hollywood stars were asking us for. He did have some of the victims on his show and said so. He reports on these judges who let child molestors off with 3 month sentences.
And how the ACLU doesn't want people searched on N.Y. subways, but people searched when they come into the ACLU building.

I don't know much about those instances you're talking about. Unlike Bill O'Reilly, I prefer not to discuss things when I'm not in posession of the facts. If Bill thought that way, then maybe he wouldn't be viewed as such a bad guy.

Despite not knowing the facts of the issues you listed, just my knowledge of O'Reilly's problem with telling the truth leads me to believe that there's a lot more to those stories than what he's relating.

People dislike him because he wildly misrepresents facts. He makes things up. He claims to be above personal attacks and whines when he perceives one to be made against him, but all he does is make personal attacks because he is incapable of rational debate.

aktick 10-28-06 01:37 PM

I said he's an ass, not a bad guy. :)

I agree with him on a lot of things, and think he is a good voice for certain topics, but like basically all talking heads, there's nothing he doesn't know.

dolphinboy 10-28-06 02:25 PM

here's in the interview, along with evidence that Bill was lying about a connection between Al-Qaeda and Saddam...again. That's why Letterman doesn't get into great detail, he knows what most people know, and doesn't want to get into a debate with someone who make up things or be expected to answer obscure questions that O'Reilly poses that most, well read Americans don't even know about (which is what O'Reilly is going for) and then, only after the show, research shows that he made it up.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/1...ound-twofight/

A fact check of Bill's assertion that Ansar al-Islam worked with the approval of Saddam Hussein's government is wholly unsupported by the Senate Intelligence Committee report (.pdb) released a few moths ago that is the most definitive work to date on the glaring differences between pre-war rhetoric and post-war reality.

(For a breakdown of O'Reilly's disingenuous claim (i.e. lie), read the rest of this story…)

The Senate Intelligence Committee writes on pages 71-72 that Saddam had virtually no control over the northern Kurdistan region of Iraq, that there were flaws that "undermined confidence in the reporting" of such a relationship and that Ansar al-Islam that was not "a branch of al Qaeda." Furthermore, Saddam's regime had no contact with the group other than to possibly infiltrate it to gather intelligence. The report concludes on page 110: "Postwar information reveals that Baghdad viewed Ansar al-Islam as a threat to the regime and that the IIS attempted to collect intelligence on the group."

Giantrobo 10-28-06 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I don't know much about those instances you're talking about. Unlike Bill O'Reilly, I prefer not to discuss things when I'm not in posession of the facts. If Bill thought that way, then maybe he wouldn't be viewed as such a bad guy.

It's simple, Bill thinks he's "God's Gift" to the world and he's got a Streisand sized Ego*. That he happens to lean towards the Right makes him the Devil in the eyes of Left leaning folks like you and a Blowhard Dickweed Arrogant Prick...who likes to Loofa women in the shower...to Right leaning folks like myself.

but all he does is make personal attacks because he is incapable of
rational debate.
Sounds a lot like Letterman when Bill O'<i>Really</i> has been on lately... ;)

*Fuckin' huge ass ego

das Monkey 10-28-06 04:18 PM

A friend of mine is in Tilly and the Wall, so I stumbled onto this last night. Along with Al Franken, David Letterman is one of few people on the planet who can make Bill O'Reilly look like a somewhat reasonable guy. Each time he does this, I just feel embarrassed for him. He's a legend. Why stoop to this level? It really doesn't matter what you think of O'Reilly, Letterman's the one looking like a real loser in these things. Acting like a childish brat is O'Reilly's job, and we expect it from him 24/7, but when Letterman stoops down to that crybaby, talking-over-the-guest, strawman pouting foolishness as well, it's really unbecoming for a man whose job description is "Detached Funnyman", not "Loudmouth Blowhard". When these two go at it, it's like two children in a sandbox; the difference is that O'Reilly is a child who lives in the sandbox, and we expect no less; Letterman, however, is an adult.

das

Slumbering Fist 10-28-06 04:24 PM

Dave came off pretty hotheaded and out of his element topicwise, but it was nice to see him actually fired up rather than on autopilot, which he's been on 90% of the time for the past few years.

Phod 10-29-06 01:29 AM

Most people who think O'Reilly is an ass think Keith Olbermann is awesome.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Patman 10-29-06 02:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWO5ub-c6R8

dolphinboy 10-29-06 02:07 AM

fixed

Originally Posted by Phod
Most people think O'Reilly is an ass

He is.

Keith Olbermann is awesome.

He is

Damn straight

Giantrobo 10-29-06 04:58 AM

Really? I guess I missed that memo...

vegasbaby 10-29-06 07:38 AM

I thought they were the same guy!?!?!? Like Ali G and Borat.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

wm lopez 10-29-06 11:07 AM

There's no way that everybody is going to like one person no matter what.
But the majority sure like O'Reilly and I stated a few of the reasons why I do.
Like he's pointed out on his show and touched on it a little on it when he was on Oprah that there's no outrage over gangsata rap music. What kind of culture glorifys pimps & whores other than hip-hop. There are a few community preachers, but not the Jesse Jackons or Al Sharptons or other top Democrats. It's a shame that everything that is immoral or bad is usally supported by "the majority" of liberals as freedom. That didn't used to be that way. I can't imagine Martin Luther King calling black women bitches & hoes, that can't be what he marched for.

Artman 10-29-06 01:21 PM

Dave came across as a jerk I thought. The bigger question I have is why do people whore themselves out to shows like this? I mean really, how many more copies (if any) did Bill convince people to be buy for his ten minutes on Letterman? Are appearances written into book contracts the same as movies?

MovieExchange 10-29-06 02:04 PM

It's a shame that everything that is immoral or bad is usally supported by "the majority" of liberals as freedom.

Wow, that is one of the most ignorant things I've seen today.

Please take the time to learn about our freedoms, and why the things that are protected go beyond the scope of what you personally deem to be OK.