Roush predicts which new shows will get a full-series renewal

Old 10-20-06, 02:53 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roush predicts which new shows will get a full-series renewal

Interesting comments about Studio 60

The Back Nine: Any Other Keepers?
ABC's Brothers & Sisters has joined the charmed, and so far rather tiny, circle of new fall series rewarded with what is known as "the back nine," as in a full-series renewal taking the original order of 13 episodes to 22 (sometimes expanded further for true breakthrough shows). At the moment, only three other shows have this honor: ABC's delightful Ugly Betty and two speculative fantasies that defied the odds to capture an early following: NBC's intriguing Heroes and, to the surprise of many skeptics (including this one), CBS's dark-hued Jericho.

Over the next few weeks, we'll find out which other newbies will get the full-season order and which will bite the dust in 13, if they even get that far. Here's my educated guess, by network.

CBS

The network with the most solid and consistent schedule was the first to cancel a show (Smith), and has only two other new series to decide upon.

While Shark on Thursdays has been a bit of a disappointment, relative to its CSI lead-in by being upstaged by the resurgent ER (now no longer taking a midseason hiatus, thankfully), I'm betting CBS will give it a full year to grow, and James Woods more time to grow on you.

I'm less certain about The Class, the overpopulated Monday sitcom that appears to have dipped this week in the hammock between How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men. (Last week, when it first flipped with Mother, it grew a bit.) I still think there's promise in many of The Class's characters and actors, nothing a little tinkering couldn't fix. But CBS is doing so well these days, it may not feel the need to show such patience. Besides, judging from the mail I get, if CBS were to return The King of Queens to the night, that would give the lineup another boost.

ABC

The first network to give two shows a vote of confidence, in Betty and Brothers, ABC is probably going to give the nod to Anne Heche's Men in Trees, which has been holding up reasonably well in an impossible Friday time period. Moving it to Mondays or even to Thursdays after Grey's Anatomy to try to boost this romantic comedy's profile is not out of the question.

The one show that looks like a sure-fire loser is Six Degrees on Thursday, squandering its Grey's lead-in and attracting no critical or fan buzz that I've noticed. Despite some strong New York-based performers in the cast, the show's pretentious premise and so-far-ludicrous execution makes it look like the wrong show on the wrong night.

Question marks: The middling Ted Danson comedy Help Me Help You, which looks like it will stick around at least long enough to see how it plays alongside another comedy: the similarly single-camera Big Day, scheduled to premiere Nov. 28. The future's also cloudy for The Nine, whose brilliant pilot opened to disappointing numbers after Lost. Despite outstanding production values and casting, with sharply drawn characters reeling from a trauma whose details will only slowly (perhaps too slowly) come into focus, this tricky set-up may just be too much for many viewers. Though it's still very early days for this acclaimed series, not enough of the Lost audience appears willing to sit still for a second dense hour of character-driven intrigue. And that's a shame. But maybe ABC will stick it out, as it did for a full season with Invasion. Or maybe not.

NBC

Kidnapped already has been shuttled to Saturdays, starting this weekend, to burn off the remainder of its original 13-episode order, giving closure to the fans of this slickly produced mystery. That's NBC's first official casualty, and it's too early yet to say if or when the critically reviled comedy Twenty Good Years, which lost audience from the so-so launch of 30 Rock, will join it. (I imagine 30 Rock will be a keeper for a while; NBC should at least give it a chance to play alongside Scrubs, whenever it returns, before ditching Tina Fey's sharp-witted but uneven work in progress.)

The real heartbreaker here is the non-performance of the superb Friday Night Lights, which has ascended in its first three weeks to the status of my favorite new drama of the season. I know the network believes in it, but it will be a real leap of faith if NBC even allows the show to stay on the schedule through November sweeps. (A vanishing act during that crucial ratings period is almost always a sign of lost confidence.)

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is a trickier animal: launched amid great hype because of its starry cast and creator (The West Wing's Aaron Sorkin), the show has lost audience by the week, even as the show itself has ramped up its sense of self-importance to a level that even a fan (I'm speaking of me) can't help but cringe.

This week's episode of Studio 60, though still dazzling in many respects (the acting, mainly), was especially tough to swallow. Sorkin's gratuitous swipe at reality TV (reprising the "bad crack in the schoolyard" line he used during a TCA press conference this summer) fell flat, because the mock Mark Burnett pitch was of a despicable sort of reality programming that even Fox has mostly turned away from. Temptation Island was so '90s. This diatribe felt outdated and out of touch, not to mention annoyingly self-righteous. And then there was the young playwright selling a show about the U.N. (shades of Sorkin and The West Wing?), who was prompted by Danny (just where did he get his "street cred?") to choose NBS (read NBC) over HBO. We won't even get into how this show is looking ever more like therapy for a writer who appears to be reliving his past relationships with figures like Jamie Tarses (Jordan McDeere), Kristin Chenoweth (Harriet Hayes) and Maureen Dowd (Christine Lahti's Martha O'Dell, the rare reporter who uses neither pen nor tape recorder). In so many ways, you can't help thinking: Get over yourself, Aaron.

Mind you, I'm not giving up on the show. But I'm becoming more aware of why it's a turnoff for so many. Which makes me rethink my former belief that NBC would never jettison such a prestige project this early in its run. I still think it will get the full season, if only to save face and to send a signal that NBC is committed to quality (even when flawed) TV. But if it doesn't make it to May for whatever reason, I won't exactly be shocked.

Fox

A real mixed bag here. No cancellations yet, but the clock is certainly ticking on Thursday's mirthless Happy Hour and on Friday's transplanted fiasco Vanished.

The first few weeks post-World Series will be make or break for Justice (moved to Mondays after Prison Break) and Standoff, which will have to survive against Dancing With the Stars and NCIS in the killer Tuesday time period that torpedoed Friday Night Lights. Both shows have been given additional script orders, but whether that will translate to a full season run remains to be seen. I'd try to wager some odds here, but I find it hard to care about either.

The Brad Garrett comedy 'Til Death hasn't had much of a chance on Thursdays. And while it may not deserve one, couldn't Fox give it a try in place of the truly unwatchable The War at Home and see if it couldn't find a home on Sundays? Regardless, I'm thinking this star vehicle may be given the benefit of the doubt in hopes of finding a niche during American Idol season.

CW

Last and definitely least, this fledgling hybrid network of WB/UPN titles has made no impression with its new series. Runaway was DOA on Mondays and Sundays, and The Game will make it only by riding Girlfriends' coattails. Whatever happens, we have to hope CW has something brewing for midseason or its first year will have been a wash.
http://community.tvguide.com/thread....adID=700009260
Old 10-20-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad to see he thinks MEN IN TREES will be getting a full year - since that is easily my favorite new show of the season...

And to answer his thing about the CW, HIDDEN PALMS is already shooting (and according to buzz and the pilot that I saw, this could become a hit, if its handled right), and they have also put three additional drama pilots into rushed production...

But it was weird that he didn't mention that THE GAME and 7TH HEAVEN where already given the back nine... VERONICA MARS is still the lone question-mark...
Old 10-20-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
But it was weird that he didn't mention that THE GAME and 7TH HEAVEN where already given the back nine... VERONICA MARS is still the lone question-mark...
7th Heaven and Veronica Mars are most certainly NOT new shows.
Old 10-20-06, 06:02 PM

I'm glad to see he thinks MEN IN TREES will be getting a full year - since that is easily my favorite new show of the season...

And to answer his thing about the CW, HIDDEN PALMS is already shooting (and according to buzz and the pilot that I saw, this could become a hit, if its handled right), and they have also put three additional drama pilots into rushed production...

Where are you getting this info, did a quick google search(and came up empty) but I am 99% certain that there is no possibility of a back nine pick-up for 7th Heaven. In order to renegotiate the series regular deals for the cast, they could only commit to the 13 episode order with no additional bumps or really possibility of there being a back nine.
Old 10-20-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is from one of the wires at my work:

Zap2it.com
(MCT)
CBS GETS CHUMMY WITH FULL `SHARK' SEASON
When is a show that loses 8 million viewers from its lead-in not a failure? When it's CBS' "Shark.''
CBS has ordered up a full season of the James Woods-driven legal drama despite the fact that it retains only a chunk of its powerful "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation'' lead-in.
On a positive level, CBS touts "Shark'' as the season's top drama, at least in total viewers. The series averages 14.36 million viewers, including a 4.1 rating among adults 18-49. Of course, "Shark'' has a lead-in that averages closer to 22.9 million viewers and a demo rating above 7.
But back to the positives, as "Shark'' has reliably finished within shouting distance of NBC's "ER'' in total viewers. The Imagine Television production has routinely thrashed ABC's new "Six Degrees,'' averaging roughly 4 million viewers per week more than the J.J. Abrams produced relationship drama, which has "Grey's Anatomy'' as its lead-in.
"Shark'' is the second freshman CBS drama to get a back-nine order, following the solidly performing "Jericho.''

THE CW ORDERS MORE `GAME,' `HEAVEN'
Although the CW recently bid adieu to its new drama "Runaway,'' two other shows will get their full run for the season.
The fledling network has picked up the back nine episodes of the freshman comedy "The Game'' as well as giving a full season order for the long-lived family drama "7th Heaven.''
"The Game,'' a sitcom about a woman (Tia Mowry) adjusting to life as a pro football player's live-in girlfriend while juggling her med school studies, has performed well in the post-''Girlfriends'' slot, retaining 95 percent of women 18-34. The show also stars Coby Bell, Pooch Hall, Hosea Chanchez, Brittany Daniel and Wendy Raquel Robinson. "The Game'' is part of the Monday night comedy line-up that also includes "Everybody Hates Chris'' and "All of Us.''
"The Game'' is only one of the two new shows that debuted on the CW this fall. "Runaway,'' a drama about a family on the lam, only lasted three episodes before getting pulled.
"7th Heaven'' marks its 11th season on television and stars Stephen Collins, Catherine Hickes, Beverly Mitchell and George Stults. This season also adds Tyler Hoechlin and Haylie Duff as regulars.

I guess it looks like two more shows have gotten full season orders.
Old 10-20-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-20-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very glad to hear that Shark got a full order. It along with Studio 60 are my two fave new dramas. Crossing fingers that 60 survives....
Old 10-20-06, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good for Shark.
Old 10-20-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So Six Degrees would be my second cancellation of the season (Smith) I don't know why I bother with new shows.
Old 10-20-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Where are you getting this info, did a quick google search(and came up empty) but I am 99% certain that there is no possibility of a back nine pick-up for 7th Heaven. In order to renegotiate the series regular deals for the cast, they could only commit to the 13 episode order with no additional bumps or really possibility of there being a back nine.
Thefutoncritic.com announced it today to many people's dismay...

7th Heaven and Veronica Mars are most certainly NOT new shows.
There are not NEW shows, but initially the CW only ordered 13 episodes for them, making it so they still have to worry about the back nine.
Old 10-20-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I've only tried 3 new shows this season: Heroes, Brothers and Sisters, and Men In Trees. Woohooo...... they're all going to (or likely to) be on for a full season.
Old 10-21-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
There are not NEW shows, but initially the CW only ordered 13 episodes for them, making it so they still have to worry about the back nine.
Okay, but the article was Roush predicts which new shows will get a full-series renewal. Therefor it should not have been surprising (or weird) that 7th Heaven and Veronica Mars were not mentioned in the article.