DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Doctor Who - "The Girl In The Fireplace" - 10/20/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/481298-doctor-who-girl-fireplace-10-20-06-a.html)

turborobb 10-20-06 04:53 AM

Doctor Who - "The Girl In The Fireplace" - 10/20/06

This Friday Night at 8pm on Sci Fi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/galle...ardis_crew.jpg

The Girl In The Fireplace - Madame de Pompadour is being haunted by a stranger called the Doctor – can he save her from the clockwork killers?

Superman07 10-20-06 06:36 AM

This is really a terrific episode! Still leaves me with a sense of awe surrounded by errieness.

Chew 10-20-06 07:59 AM

Easily my favorite episode of this season.

Groucho 10-20-06 08:16 AM

This episode was written by Stephen Moffat, who is writer/creator of Coupling. He also wrote a two-parter for the show last year ("The Empty Child" / "The Doctor Dances").

Super X 10-20-06 08:22 AM

Just an interesting bit of trivia: Sophia Myles, this episode's main guest star, is the real-life girlfriend of David Tennant.

Superman07 10-20-06 05:29 PM

http://www.tristanandisoldemovie.com...aper2_1024.jpg

The Valeyard 10-20-06 07:10 PM

She's hawt!

AND this is a great episode! Actually made me tear up at the end.

milo bloom 10-20-06 09:11 PM

Hmm, not feeling it as much. Still cool to see the horse come thru the mirror. And was it lack of knowledge that kept Rose and Mickey from running the Tardis, or the Doctor/Tardis link thing?

Autotelik 10-20-06 09:50 PM

Well, this was my overall favorite episode of the second season. (having seen all the episodes prior to the SciFi channel's airings). So hope more people enjoy it too.

xraybies 10-20-06 11:51 PM

This was an amazing episode, acted and plotted extremely well. My favorite episodes were written by Moffat in Season 1 too. Really touching and emotionally resonant.

Ranger 10-21-06 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Autotelik
Well, this was my overall favorite episode of the second season. (having seen all the episodes prior to the SciFi channel's airings). So hope more people enjoy it too.

I still watch the show once in a while and this was a good episode.

Was Rose leaving the show?

The Valeyard 10-21-06 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger
Was Rose leaving the show?

Spoiler:
She's already left. Last episode of Season Two. Should be on Sci-Fi by December.

cdoug57 10-21-06 11:13 AM

Truly enjoyed this episode.

As bad wolf was a minor point in several episodes last year, is the Doctor's "loneliness" the underlying theme/plot point for this season?

Horse going thru the window/mirror excellent stuff.

Groucho 10-21-06 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by cdoug57
As bad wolf was a minor point in several episodes last year, is the Doctor's "loneliness" the underlying theme/plot point for this season?

This season's "theme":
Spoiler:
Torchwood
Next season (Season 3):
Spoiler:
"The Lonely God"

cornflakeguy 10-21-06 12:21 PM

Excellent episode. This is the ep that should be submitted for any award the show is eligible for.

areacode212 10-22-06 10:11 AM

Yep, this was easily my favorite episode of the season as well. And that's saying something because there are some pretty great ones coming up...

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, Sophia Myles gets naked in Art School Confidential... :)

cornflakeguy 10-22-06 10:35 AM

This ep reminds me of the Star Trek Next Gen episode where Piccard was "sucked into" a floating avatar from a lost civiliazation.

While "in" the avatar Piccard lived the rest of his life, became old, had grandchildren and learned to play the flute.

In the end he "escaped" and was back on the Enterprise of present day, and was only in it for a few hours. But in the end, he could still play the flute.

This was one of me favorite Next Gen eps just because it was a good story. It didn't depend on ships, lasers, Klingons, etc just a nice little story.

Same thing for "The Girl in the Fireplace." Put any characters in their places and it's still a great story.

I saved this to show my non Doctor Who friends.

dhmac 10-22-06 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
This ep reminds me of the Star Trek Next Gen episode where Piccard was "sucked into" a floating avatar from a lost civiliazation.

While "in" the avatar Piccard lived the rest of his life, became old, had grandchildren and learned to play the flute.

In the end he "escaped" and was back on the Enterprise of present day, and was only in it for a few hours. But in the end, he could still play the flute.

This was one of me favorite Next Gen eps just because it was a good story. It didn't depend on ships, lasers, Klingons, etc just a nice little story.

Same thing for "The Girl in the Fireplace." Put any characters in their places and it's still a great story.

I saved this to show my non Doctor Who friends.

That particular ST:TNG episode is called "The Inner Light" and is generally considered one of the best episodes of that series.

I think "The Girl in the Fireplace" is the best standalone episode of this season of Doctor Who, but think that the upcoming 2-parter called "The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit" is the absolute best storyline of the season, with impressive special effects to boot.

(And the 2-parter that kicks off next Friday featuring the Cybermen is another season highlight too.)

marty888 10-22-06 05:37 PM

Another :up: for this episode!

(But after seeing <i>Marie Antoinette</i> and this on the same day, I think I've had my fill of 18th century France for while.)

Demontooth 10-22-06 07:37 PM

We watched our first episode a few weeks ago (the werewolf episode), we watched this one yesterday. I love this frickin' show.

Nth Power 10-23-06 03:41 AM

Another great episode. What started out being a fairly creepy story ended up quite emotional. I may have to shell out the bucks this time around when it comes out on DVD.

Palaver 10-30-06 07:38 AM

I just got around to watching this one and had to say that I also thought this was an amazing episode. Easily the best of the season, and, probably the best of the past two seasons (at least in my opinion.) It was nice to have a character have some insight to the Doctor's emotional state.