Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Office "Initiation" 10/19/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office "Initiation" 10/19/06

Old 10-25-06, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
I do training classes once a month or so (5 sessions per class) and like to start with an ice breaker. One ice breaker I use on every class is "What is your favorite tv show?" I have done this 5 or 6 times and everytime I say the Office all I get is blank stares. It is not an established hit.
Old 10-25-06, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The office may not be an established hit ratings wise but winning an Emmy sure helps. As for this season, I think its supposed to feel off from last season. With out Jim there, the office is not the same. There is no one there to really ground the show so whatever Dwight or Michael does just seems more goofy than usual.
Old 10-25-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Dumbest scene on the show yet. If this was in the first episode, I never would have watched again.
Old 10-26-06, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Ill have to disagree with the posters that have said this show has gone "commercial" and now focuses on Michael and Dwight too much. Michael IS the mainstay of this show and will ALWAYS have a part to play in it. Dwight while still going "over te top" I think we are seeing his character "unleashed" since when Jim was there he was stiffled so to speak.

As far as the secondary characters they had ALL of the webisodes geared towards them, and really in the end they are "supporting" characters to th main story line, you will see them when they are needed but not much more.

Also, we are (as it has been said) only 5 episods into the season and the storylines are just getting started so I think (IMO) that it is a little early to start complaining about the show until we see where they are taking the show. I personally havent had a problem with any of the episodes so far and have enjoyed every single one of them, as always though there are high and low points but that is to be expected.
Old 10-26-06, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Dashed
The office may not be an established hit ratings wise but winning an Emmy sure helps.
Tell that to the people behind Arrested Development ...
Old 10-26-06, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ph8te
As far as the secondary characters they had ALL of the webisodes geared towards them, and really in the end they are "supporting" characters to th main story line, you will see them when they are needed but not much more.
Which a lot of us feel is different that last season and very "commercial".

I'm a wrestling fan and the excuses I hear in here are a lot like the excuses people make to themselves when wrestling is in a boring period. "So and so is gone. The show is different on purpose until so and so returns. When they return the show will go back to how good it use to be."

As I said before a lot of us that loved last season are going to bitch most of this season because while the show is still great we are use to the quality of season 2 and don't believe that season 3 comes close.

Last edited by Mrs.Nesbit; 10-26-06 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-26-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Which a lot of us feel is different [than] last season and very "commercial".
Except it's not different. The supporting characters were supporting characters the past seasons as well, and got near the same amount of air time.

The major criticisms against this season so far - Michael and Dwight are more "over-the-top," the secondary characters are getting much less screen time, the show is more "commercial" or "traditional sitcom-like" this season - don't really hold up for me. I don't even think there's a noticible drop in the quality of writing or in the show overall. Yes, having Jim in another office is different, and changes aspects of the show. However, "different" doesn't equal "bad," and I like that the show isn't afraid to venture into new territories instead of sticking to the old formula until it's been bled dry. I do think Jim will be reunited with the rest of the office soon, but even then I don't think the show will return to what "it used to be." The show's moving forward, but it really hasn't drastically changed the characters or focus the way that some people seem to think it has.
Old 10-26-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cungar
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Dumbest scene on the show yet. If this was in the first episode, I never would have watched again.
Different tastes and all. I laughed out loud.
Old 10-26-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a wrestling fan and the excuses I hear in here are a lot like the excuses people make to themselves when wrestling is in a boring period. "So and so is gone. The show is different on purpose until so and so returns. When they return the show will go back to how good it use to be."
Except we're not saying "the show will go back to how good it used to be" we're saying "the show is just as good as it has always been." Some of the dynamics have changed with Jim being out of the office, but the show is still at the same high level it was at last year.
Old 10-26-06, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
Different tastes and all. I laughed out loud.
and so did I. That scene reminded me of the Seinfield episode where they are celebrating Festivus and one of the rituals was the feats of strength. Over the top? Yeah, but still funny to me nonetheless, just like the Office
Old 10-26-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
"Wrestle fear to the ground!"

I laughed out loud too.
Old 10-26-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Except it's not different. The supporting characters were supporting characters the past seasons as well, and got near the same amount of air time.

The major criticisms against this season so far - Michael and Dwight are more "over-the-top," the secondary characters are getting much less screen time, the show is more "commercial" or "traditional sitcom-like" this season - don't really hold up for me. I don't even think there's a noticible drop in the quality of writing or in the show overall. Yes, having Jim in another office is different, and changes aspects of the show. However, "different" doesn't equal "bad," and I like that the show isn't afraid to venture into new territories instead of sticking to the old formula until it's been bled dry. I do think Jim will be reunited with the rest of the office soon, but even then I don't think the show will return to what "it used to be." The show's moving forward, but it really hasn't drastically changed the characters or focus the way that some people seem to think it has.
I actually don't believe that the show is more "Commercial" myself though I do think that only 2 episodes this year have been on par with season 2.
Old 10-26-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts
I actually don't believe that the show is more "Commercial" myself though I do think that only 2 episodes this year have been on par with season 2.
On par with the best of Season 2 or the worst of Season 2?
Old 10-27-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm assuming there was no new episode last night? Tivo didn't seem to think there was, and there's no new thread here. Did they give a reason for skipping a week?
Old 10-27-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I'm assuming there was no new episode last night? Tivo didn't seem to think there was, and there's no new thread here. Did they give a reason for skipping a week?

most shows were on repeat last night for some reason, they re-airing the season premier
Old 10-27-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
most shows were on repeat last night for some reason, they re-airing the season premier
It's the last Thursday before sweeps. The shows are scheduling in a repeat while they can. If they didn't, that would be one less show they could air in March/April between the February/May sweeps periods.
Old 10-27-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
It's the last Thursday before sweeps. The shows are scheduling in a repeat while they can. If they didn't, that would be one less show they could air in March/April between the February/May sweeps periods.
My wife and I were very confused when we sat down to watch last night and there was no recording. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 10-27-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I figured it was a repeat because of the World Series.
Old 10-27-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TruGator
I figured it was a repeat because of the World Series.
I don't think the networks fear the World Series all that much. I didn't see too many shows in repeats this week. It's not the spectacle that the Super Bowl is for sure.