Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday Night Lights "Wind Sprints" 10/17/06

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-18-06, 09:04 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

The situation in town grows ugly as Coach Taylor takes the heat for a difficult loss. Emotions run high and erupt in a fight, while the team's injured quarterback faces rehabilitation.
Thoughts on last night's episode?

I, for one, continue to love it. Will be interesting to see what comes of the QB competition now that the Katrina transplant has landed in Dillon.
Old 10-18-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm loving it too. I think it's getting better each week. I'm getting used to the shaky camera work and I'm even getting used to the obsession Texas has with High School Football.
Kyle Chandler continues to amaze.. he's been good in everything he's done, but he's excellent in this.
Old 10-18-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The scenes with the paralized kid are boring as hell. Complete waste of screen time for me. And I dont give a crap about the stupid love triangle.

It does seem to get slightly better each week, though. I will give this at least a couple more weeks.
Old 10-18-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Seeing those eyes, Voodoo is an appropriate name.

Lila or Lily - whatever her name is - is so damn hot.
Old 10-18-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog

Hell yea she is.

I liked the episode. I've enjoy watching this show.
Old 10-18-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
I'm really getting drawn into this show. I'm actually feeling bad for Saracen and I'm pulling for him to keep his job.
Old 10-18-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, Tim is such a player for gettin some lip action from Lila...and now Street has shown Lila that maybe she should kick his butt to the curb while she has the chance.

Coach Chandler is the man.
Old 10-18-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
I am liking this show more and more but the ratings are tanking so NBC may cancel it or actually move it to Friday.
Old 10-18-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
God I hope NBC shows some faith in this show and sticks with it.

My favorite part last night was the fat, piece of shit ex-player flashing his old championship ring at the Coach when he was in the diner.
Old 10-18-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Seeing those eyes, Voodoo is an appropriate name.

Lyla
Old 10-18-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I am liking this show more and more but the ratings are tanking so NBC may cancel it or actually move it to Friday.
Or Monday. On 10/30, they're airing it on Monday at 10pm. For now, it's just a one-week experiment.
Old 10-19-06, 02:21 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by chowderhead
It's numbers were up from the week before, about 300,000 more viewers, and tvguide says it looks like it will get a full season pick-up.

Last nights was the first episode I really enjoyed, though the Lyla/Riggins scene in the rain towards the end took away from it.

Voodoo is one scary looking dude

Last edited by MrX; 10-19-06 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-19-06, 07:42 AM

I'm still liking this show.
Old 10-19-06, 08:36 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
It's numbers were up from the week before, about 300,000 more viewers, and tvguide says it looks like it will get a full season pick-up.
Great news.
Old 10-19-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott27
Or Monday. On 10/30, they're airing it on Monday at 10pm. For now, it's just a one-week experiment.

This is GREAT news!
I'm doing a happy dance!
Old 10-19-06, 09:27 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent_MN
ok, Tim is such a player for gettin some lip action from Lila...
eh, don't really think that's what he's doing. it's classic good girl/bad boy love affair. they were mostly comforting each other.
Old 10-19-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
God I hope NBC shows some faith in this show and sticks with it.

My favorite part last night was the fat, piece of shit ex-player flashing his old championship ring at the Coach when he was in the diner.
Yeah, that was great. I wanted someone to knock his lights out. The pilot was a little dull and they should've lost, but since then I think it's been a really good show. The best friend and girlfriend hooking up after fighting constantly was a big cliche, but the rest was good. I think they toned down the closeups this week too.
Old 10-19-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am really starting to like this show and I hope it gets picked up for a whole season order soon too. I think, now that the show is out from under the stuff they had to establish in the pilot and first couple episodes, which so much of was rehashed drivel, they can finally veer off in their own direction and tell some good original stories.

Matt Saracen is my favorite character on the show besides Kyle Chandler, so I find myself pulling for him to succeed. I just hope that if/when he becomes the undisputed starter, they don't just automatically turn his character into another arrogant star type.
Old 10-19-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like they might be..from TV guide:
— Versus last week, an additional 300,000 turned out for Friday Night Lights (6.6 mil). I'm actually hearing full-season pickup buzz. Stay tuned....
Old 10-19-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great show! There are really only three shows I look forward to each week; Battlestar, Lost, and now Friday Night Lights.
Old 10-20-06, 01:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
What's sad is that there are really a lot of people like that out there, who peaked at high school football and have nothing else going for them. Like in Varsity Blues where that 30-year-old loser tried to crash a football party wearing his letterman's jacket.
Old 10-27-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
yeah, they really captured that quite well (and they did in the movie as well). for most of the guys in that town, winning a state championship will be the highlight of their entire life.

that scene with the team running in the rain, and smash leading the chant, gave me goose-bumps. what a great, great scene.

and chandler's line to voodoo about having to earn the spot. i'd want to play for him, too.

i'm pulling for saracen as well. poor kid's going through a lot.
Old 11-13-06, 03:07 PM

Couldn't find a newer thread on this show

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20061113nbc02

11.13.06 - 12:46 PM]

NBC GOES THE WHOLE NINE YARDS IN GIVING CRITICALLY HAILED 'FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS' A FULL-SEASON ORDER OF EPISODES FOR 2006-07
Released by NBC

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NBC GOES THE WHOLE NINE YARDS IN GIVING CRITICALLY HAILED 'FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS' A FULL-SEASON ORDER OF EPISODES FOR 2006-07

BURBANK November 13, 2006 NBC has given a full-season order for 2006-07 to its critically hailed freshman drama "Friday Night Lights" (Tuesdays, 8-9 p.m. ET), it was announced today by Kevin Reilly, President, NBC Entertainment.

"We're proud to reward an authentic, poignant series like 'Friday Night Lights' with a full-season order, demonstrating our confidence in it's appeal and quality," said Reilly. "Television critics and devoted fans have supported the show with well-deserved praise for the executive producers, writers and exceptionally talented cast."

"Friday Night Lights" is averaging a 2.7 rating, 7 share in adults 18-49 and 6.7 million viewers overall with Tuesday originals through November 5. The acclaimed drama delivered 18-49 increases from its first half-hour to its second with each of its first five Tuesday telecasts. On a special Monday, October 30 telecast, "Friday Night Lights" won its time period among adults 18-34, men 18-34 and men 18-49.

Inspired by the book and the film "Friday Night Lights," NBC's poignant series centers on the small rural town of Dillon, Texas, where the coveted state football championship rings are held in the highest regard. Dillon's promising high school team, its star quarterback, and newly appointed head coach Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler, "King Kong," "Grey's Anatomy") continually feel the mounting pressure of the town's pride and honor riding on their shoulders as soon as the Panthers' new football season kicks off.

The strong cast also includes: Scott Porter ("The Bedford Diaries") as the severely injured team captain and first-string quarterback Jason Street; Gaius Charles ("Book of Daniel") as feared running back Brian "Smash" Williams; Taylor Kitsch ("Kyle XY") as running back Tim Riggins; Connie Britton ("The Brothers McMullen," "24") as Taylor's supportive wife, Tami; Zach Gilford ("The Last Winter") as third-string quarterback Matt Saracen, and Minka Kelly ("What I Like About You") as Lyla Garrity, Panther cheerleader and Street's girlfriend.

Also starring are: Aimee Teegarden ("Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide") as Coach Taylor's daughter, Julie; Adrianne Palicki ("South Beach") as Tyra Collette, and Jesse Plemons ("Grey's Anatomy") as Landry Clarke.

The series is executive-produced by Peter Berg (the film "Friday Night Lights," "The Rundown"), who also wrote and directed the pilot, as well as Brian Grazer ("The Da Vinci Code," "A Beautiful Mind"), Jason Katims ("Roswell"), David Nevins ("Arrested Development," "24") and Sarah Aubrey ("Bad Santa," "The Kingdom"). "Friday Night Lights" is a production of Imagine Television, NBC Universal Television Studio and Film 44.

If there is a newer or more relevant thread, I will post it there.

Chris