Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"1 vs 100" October 13, 2006 series premiere

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Dave Coulier is scheduled to replace Brian Williams as NBC's evening news anchor...
Cut! It! Out!
Old 10-15-06, 08:03 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
I worked as a technical writer for a year and never once had any math involved.

Wow!

Thanks for answering.
Old 10-15-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The first time I've ever not hated him [Bob Saget].
how could anybody possibly hate Bob Saget?
Old 10-15-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JasonF
All you people who don't know what a badonkadonk is need to rent Weeds Season 1. It's a great show -- and you'll get an explanation of badonkadonk.
I watch Weeds, but I must have forgotten about that.

Has anyone played the online game at www.nbc.com? It is MUCH harder than the show. And you only have 10 seconds to answer each question.
Old 10-15-06, 02:34 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
It was from the episode where Conrad tells Nancy she has a nice badonkadonk, and then takes her to a club where someone else tells her she has a nice badonkadonk. Nancy then says something about how strange it is that she's never heard the term "badonkadonk" before, but now hears it twice in one day.
Old 10-15-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tech writer was super hot... makes you wonder, are these contestants even real?? who learns about these shows so early that they get considered to be the 1st people playing?? wannabee actors???
I thought the exact same thing. There was something kinda off about these "contestants". Some of the things they said & how they reacted felt scripted. I kinda think when they have a new game show like this one, they hire actors to be contestants until the show really takes off.
Old 10-15-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone played the online game at www.nbc.com? It is MUCH harder than the show. And you only have 10 seconds to answer each question.
After a few times I finally whupped up on the 100 and won!
Old 10-15-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah, it didn't take long to win. Too many repeat questions.
Old 10-15-06, 06:42 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's an interesting dynamic to the way the game is set up. You would actually want to keep the mob intact for the first few easy questions. Then you can knock out more of the dumber mob members in the bigger money rounds. Of course, that's assuming the contestant actually knows the answers him/herself.

I don't know if I like the 'ringers' in the mob like Ken Jennings. It pretty much makes it so noone will ever have a shot at a million. Given the range of these questions and the fact they are multiple choice, will there really be anything he gets wrong? I would rather have the mob be all "regular" people (you can still have some teachers and valedictorians and whatnot) and then make the questions a bit harder.
Old 10-16-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
The tech writer was super hot... makes you wonder, are these contestants even real?? who learns about these shows so early that they get considered to be the 1st people playing?? wannabee actors???
Yes she most certainly was.

Problem with this show is the same as DOND, decreasing rewards as you go along. In DOND unless you have only the 500,000 and million left should you even CONSIDER going for the million and not even then, and here as you get farther into it, the risk/reward becomes too little to continue.
Old 10-16-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I don't know if I like the 'ringers' in the mob like Ken Jennings. It pretty much makes it so noone will ever have a shot at a million. Given the range of these questions and the fact they are multiple choice, will there really be anything he gets wrong? I would rather have the mob be all "regular" people (you can still have some teachers and valedictorians and whatnot) and then make the questions a bit harder.
I disagree. The questions seem to be general cultural type questions that anybody can answer and not academic type questions that only well educated/informed people can answer. Jennings isn't so hot on these type of questions -- he lost on Jeopardy because he didn't know who H&R Block was.
Old 10-16-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I like this game show.

That means one of two things will happen: I'll get tired of it in a couple of months or it will be canceled before that.
Old 10-16-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
How about the first contestant who asked a Deal or no Deal model instead of Ken Jennings for answer advice. Sagat should have immediately punched him in the face for being so dumb.
Old 10-16-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My guess is they put out a contestant call in whatever city this was filmed in, like normal.
Old 10-16-06, 11:56 PM
Suspended

It's funny how on the show the questions (even though often phrased stupidly) are so easy a monkey could get it right, and then you go play the online version and while still phrased stupidly they have a much higher degree of difficulty.
Old 10-17-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
How about the first contestant who asked a Deal or no Deal model instead of Ken Jennings for answer advice. Sagat should have immediately punched him in the face for being so dumb.
Like 90% of the people chose the same answer, so he already knew what the correct choice was. He just wanted to talk to the hot chick.
Old 10-21-06, 10:49 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I was rewatching the second episode and decided to do a search. I found from one episode summary her name is Christine Tarbet. So I did a search for that and voila...

http://www.christinetarbet.com/

Welcome to ChristineTarbet.com, where it's all Christine Tarbet... all the time. I am a 28-year-old writer/actor living in Studio City, CA with my boyfriend and two cats.

Old 10-21-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
jessia lynch fell in a well? who knew?

also, only 5 people guessed the same thing as him (jessica lynch), yet he STILL went with his original answer... idiot.

and jennings did miss a question last night. he said the 1 on a roulette wheel is black.
Old 10-21-06, 11:05 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I Knew It!
Old 10-21-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I felt no sympathy when that guy went with Jessica Lynch when the vast majority was telling him he was wrong.

I don't know much about roulette wheels either, and since the mob was nearly 50/50 on that question, I would have looked to see what Ken Jennings picked and gone with his choice (knowing at least enough that green was NOT an option). But I guess the good old Mormon boy doesn't know much about gambling either. I guess it's a good thing that was never a category for him on Jeopardy.
Old 10-21-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
The questions seemed a little harder this week. Yeah, that guy who went against 90%+ of the mob was an idiot -- the mob got a whopping $800 each there. I'm not really surprised to see that woman is an actress. Game shows have been doing that forever (aspiring actors as contestants) and always will. Combine the facts that actors live in the areas where these are filmed and their willingness to do anything for some airtime, with the producers/audience desire to see pretty/charismatic people, and that's what happens. Anyway, I'm sure her writing gig pays all the bills, so no biggie.

Bob Saget had a good line for her last week. When she told him she had a boyfriend of 9 years, he deadpanned back: "Don't you think that's kind of young?"

I like the set-up/concept of the show, though it'll get old fast if too many contestents follow the same pattern: use the "mob helps" to get an easy $100k, then walk away. Things could get interesting when the mob really gets whittled down (<20) so there's the potential for big money on both sides: the mob sharing with less for a big pot, and the $1 million getting within reach. The way it is, the all-or-none decisions before even hearing the question, and the completely random nature of the trivia question you could be asked, seems to encourage contestents to play conservative and makes it seem unlikely anyone will even close to the $1 million. Having idiots like the guy last night helps, but since its not luck-based (like DoND) the idiots will likely get eliminated early in the game.
Old 10-21-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had been wondering if the mob would deliberately try and mislead a contestant and I noticed that girl who had he correct answer about Jessica McClure deliberately made it sound vague like "I just thought that name sounded familiar". I noticed when the guy lost she gave the person next to her a big high five like she was so clever for making him answer wrong. I was like "Ooh, goody for you, you just won $714."
Old 10-21-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I had been wondering if the mob would deliberately try and mislead a contestant and I noticed that girl who had he correct answer about Jessica McClure deliberately made it sound vague like "I just thought that name sounded familiar". I noticed when the guy lost she gave the person next to her a big high five like she was so clever for making him answer wrong. I was like "Ooh, goody for you, you just won $714."
Well, that's the kind of potentially interesting strategic situations that could up later. But it's only interesting if more money is on the line than $714. Unless the mob is really really poor.
Old 10-21-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
The Badonk-a-donk question was the last one of the night.
Spoiler:
B) Sit on it Heeeeyy

That is correct.
Old 01-19-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw a commercial for tonight's episode promising that the questions will be coming "twice as fast", so I guess they realize the show has been a little slow. Maybe there's a time limit on each question now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.