Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Galactica - "Exodus, Part 1" - 10/13/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Anyways, pretty good episode. I like that they're not dragging out the rescue for a whole season, as some shows might do.
[cough]Lost?[/cough]
Old 10-15-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chip718
Don't get me wrong I love BSG, but if they are so far in the future, than why are they driving 20 century trucks?
I think you, as the viewer, are just supposed to see them as generic military trucks and look past it.

It's shocking how much military vehicles look alike. A tank now doesn't look all that different from a WWII era tank. Our 5 ton trucks (like in this week's episode) look just like WWII era 5 tons. Heck, even Hummers don't look that much different from the old jeeps. Beyond that, our tanks, trucks, and jeeps don't look that much different than those from other countries.

So it's not that unreasonable to think that other cultures might have come up with similar sorts of military ground transport.
Old 10-15-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love BSG, but if they are so far in the future, than why are they driving 20 century trucks?
It's part of the whole feel of the show. They're concentrating on the story and not the technology. Sure, they could have dressed up the trucks to look "futuristic", but to what point? They're trucks. Making them look all spacey would just look stupid and draw attention to them. It's the exact opposite of the technobabble of star trek.
Old 10-15-06, 11:51 AM

Ah, but are they in the future?

Maybe the vehicles are part of the whole human "low tech" deal. Didn't they explain in the pilot that they were using "land line" phones on Galactica so the Cylons couldn't hack them? Maybe Cylons could jack a futuristic computerized truck.
Old 10-15-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's fitting that an entire civilization on the run is making due with the best that they can. I've never really thought twice about the trucks not fitting in. It seems appropriate for the scenario, a hard existence on a planet that barely is able to sustain human life.

Also remember Galactica was the only Battlestar that wasn't affected by the initial cylon assault. It was also in the process of being decommissioned as it was deemed obsolete at that time, likely because it didn't have the fancy computer systems, etc. I guess it makes sense in this context that the only ground equipment that also made it through was low-tech gear.
Old 10-15-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
"Exodus, Part 1"
Spoiler:
The Cylons have begun a brutal crackdown on New Caprica's nascent human Resistance movement. With time running out for the colonists, Admiral Adama must launch his rescue attempt earlier than he'd expected. But though he expected a fight from the Cylons, he is unprepared for the one he gets from his son, Lee, who refuses to let the battlestar Pegasus join the Galactica's suicidal attack.

Okay, who's writing these?
Spoiler:
The Admiral ordered Lee to go for Earth, and Lee didn't like it but obeyed. That summary is a bit confusing.

And I was really expecting to find Leobon dead on the floor again while Starbuck took care of the kid. I hope our Starbuck doesn't get too neutered.
Old 10-16-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spoke to Ronald D. Moore about that very subject, and he said that every item in every episode is placed there for a specific reason, which will be revealed in the future. So if you see a Humvee on Caprica, it's meant to be a Humvee on Caprica.

What does it all mean? I have no clue.

Alternatively, if the Caprica spin-off ever gets off the ground, Moore told me that the technology in that show will be futuristic, since it was before the Cylon hacks made the humans revert to an earlier age.

Last edited by BJacks; 10-16-06 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-16-06, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I need to stop watching the previews as well, pretty big spoiler in this weeks.

I enjoyed this episode, but I know I'll love next weeks even more.
Old 10-16-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
I'm confused about Col Tigh. In the first 2 seasons, I was led to believe that he was a military idiot who drank alot and the only reason he was where he was is because he was riding along on Adama's coattails, with Adama's blessing.

Now in season 3 he's the leader of the resistance, and not just because he outranks everybody, but because he seems to be doing a good job.

Am I supposed to think that Tigh DOES have a good military brain and it was the drink that was keeping him down all his youth?
Tigh has always been portrayed on the show as being a good military leader, despite his drinking problem. That's why Adama keeps him as his trusted 2nd, despite that well-known personal flaw. Instead, it's the non-military "civilian stuff" that Tigh has problems with. (He's almost like an ancient Spartan in this way: good at war, but bad at peace.)

But, as a good military leader, he is the best man on New Caprica to lead the resistance. However, if diplomacy is ever needed in the conflict, he's the worst man for handling that aspect of war.
Old 10-16-06, 11:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Despite the inordinate amount of TV I watch, there are precious few shows that I am honestly bummed out when the credits roll. This show is one of them.

Thos.
Old 10-16-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
However, if diplomacy is ever needed in the conflict, he's the worst man for handling that aspect of war.
And that's one of the problems he had with command at the beginning of the 2nd season. That and having to make split second decisions that could cost people their lives. I think on New Caprica, they have nothing to lose, so he doesn't feel that kind of pressure.
Old 10-16-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Wow, I'm a little shocked at the overall praise for this episode...it was one of my LEAST favorite in the entire series. I'm usually gripped by the storytelling, but I found this one to be rather dull and boring. Perhaps it was because they jumped back a day or perhaps because this one was mostly set-up for next week...I don't know. I just know this was the first BG episode where I wasn't glued to the TV.
Old 10-16-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac
Tigh has always been portrayed on the show as being a good military leader, despite his drinking problem. That's why Adama keeps him as his trusted 2nd, despite that well-known personal flaw. Instead, it's the non-military "civilian stuff" that Tigh has problems with. (He's almost like an ancient Spartan in this way: good at war, but bad at peace.)

But, as a good military leader, he is the best man on New Caprica to lead the resistance. However, if diplomacy is ever needed in the conflict, he's the worst man for handling that aspect of war.
It's interesting how they have Rosslyn still acting as the de facto civilian head of the resistance, but who is clearly not in command as Tigh was running the military operations including the suicide bombings. It makes it seem like they are expecting things to revert back to the old order once Galactica comes to save them.

Even Tigh mentions how they could argue the ethics of his tactics when she was back on Colonial One. This gives me the impression that he expected her to become the president again once they got off New Caprica.
Old 10-16-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
It's interesting how they have Rosslyn still acting as the de facto civilian head of the resistance, but who is clearly not in command as Tigh was running the military operations including the suicide bombings. It makes it seem like they are expecting things to revert back to the old order once Galactica comes to save them.

Even Tigh mentions how they could argue the ethics of his tactics when she was back on Colonial One. This gives me the impression that he expected her to become the president again once they got off New Caprica.
Well given that Baltar is working with the Cylons and is pretty much universally hated, it stands to reason that she'd reassume the role...at the very least in the short term.
Old 10-16-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chess
Well given that Baltar is working with the Cylons and is pretty much universally hated, it stands to reason that she'd reassume the role...at the very least in the short term.
It's going to be interesting to see how they handle Baltar going forward. What has made his character interesting in the past is the irony of the misplaced trust/acceptance that others have offered him. It would seem to me that any goodwill towards him is now gone. How are they going to keep him central to things?

One thing, I'm completely lost with the "internal 6" vs. "Caprica 6" thing right now. Is that a corporeal 6 or an imaginary one in this episode? Has Caprica been re-downloaded? Why wasn't she "boxed"? What happened to 6's internal Baltar?

Starbuck's played a much reduced role in this series so far. Elements of the "Kasey" arc seems like they're already covered in the "Maya" arc, not sure what it's adding to the show.

The resistance stuff with Tyrol and Tigh is great though. Gritty, desperate and realistic. In particular, Tyrol's character (and the actor's skills) are really coming into focus.

Good episode, but the New Caprica arc is bleak even for this dark series. Three seasons in, it needs a little levity, IMO.

Edit: one last note, is it me or is Dean Stockwell stealing every scene he's in? I really like the Cavil character.

Last edited by Hiro11; 10-16-06 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-16-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Starbuck's played a much reduced role in this series so far. Elements of the "Kasey" arc seems like they're already covered in the "Maya" arc, not sure what it's adding to the show.
Yeah, i'm not digging that plotline too much yet. Speculation:
Spoiler:
I wonder if Kasey is one of the twelve cylon models. It does seem like it would be silly to burn one on a kid who is going to grow pretty fast. On the other hand, didn't Lucy Lawless character's dream indicate that Sharon's kid was the only hybrid?

Last edited by kitkat; 10-16-06 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-16-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Remember how the Baltar in the original series wound up living with the Cylon fleet, with no one but toasters to talk to? Something tells me this Baltar's time with real humans may be coming to an end before long... He's pretty much beyond redemption as part of the human fleet, wouldn't you think? Not only because of his year as the Cylon stick-figure President, but also 'cause Roslin knows all about his betrayal with #6 before the initial attacks...
Old 10-16-06, 03:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
You'd think, unless of course Baltar does something to redeem himself... like playing a substantial role in helping people back to the Galactica...
Old 10-16-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps they'll leave him with the Cylons....sort of a pergatory....you know...except for all the smokin Cylon booty.

Seriously, I can't picture him back with the humans any time soon...unless they take him as a prisoner, depose him, and put him in jail.

One thing I'm sure of...they won't kill him.
Old 10-16-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
and Hiro11-- I think your comments point up a troubling flaw with the current Starbuck "daughter" storyline... She's *gotta* be a fake in the end, or else it undercuts how special Hera the baby is... The Cylons wouldn't be so preoccupied with the baby if it only took a speck of human DNA for them to create their own good hybrids, would they?

Last edited by adamblast; 10-17-06 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-16-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by BJacks
I spoke to Ronald D. Moore about that very subject, and he said that every item in every episode is placed there for a specific reason, which will be revealed in the future. So if you see a Humvee on Caprica, it's meant to be a Humvee on Caprica.

What does it all mean? I have no clue.

Alternatively, if the Caprica spin-off ever gets off the ground, Moore told me that the technology in that show will be futuristic, since it was before the Cylon hacks made the humans revert to an earlier age.
That's interesting. I wonder if the visible California license plate back in Season 1(?) was also intentional.
Old 10-16-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Are you sure it didn't say Capricornia?
Old 10-16-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
Great episode. Apollo needs to start shedding some weight because it's hard to take him or his scenes very seriously looking like he does. Of course I assume that's the idea. Jamie B. plays it perfectly but I had to stifle a giggle during the saluting scene in the Galactica hanger. He's *so* fat from where he was last season. That's a lot of beer and corn nuts.
Everytime I see him on TV now, I think of this
http://adamafatass.ytmnd.com/
Old 10-17-06, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
...I don't know. I just know this was the first BG episode where I wasn't glued to the TV.
Really? You liked 'Black Market' from last season better than this?
Old 10-17-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting interview from the Chicago Tribune. Beware, it has some mid-sized spoilers for season 3:
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....gala.html#more

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.