DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   car insurance commercials (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/480450-car-insurance-commercials.html)

Diabolita23 10-11-06 04:34 PM

car insurance commercials

What’s your favorite car insurance gimmick? The talking gecko? The gruff cowboy? What makes you feel the most automotive safety?

I like the new one from Mercury (www.mercurytheory.com). If you haven’t seen it they are making the claim that the owners of Mercury are from Mercury and they’ve got all the corroborative evidence including a 10X magnification of burnt toast (check out the slides) that proves everything. Makes me chuckle.

Big Boy Laroux 10-11-06 04:44 PM

always liked the geico ones with the cavemen.

Quatermass 10-11-06 05:16 PM

There used to be a local insurance agent here in OKC, Paul Meade, who had hilarious radio spots and great TV commercials. Unfortunately there aren't any on youtube or anywhere I can find.
Here's the jingle from memory, and it's been at least 10 years since I've heard it:
Protecting all the things you own
like cars and trucks and mobile homes
with accidents or tickets too
call and we'll take care of you
five-two-four-one-five- foo-our -oooone

Mercury&Solace 10-11-06 10:48 PM

My favorite hands down

Geico "Tiny House"

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1.../TinyHouse.gif

MrBob 10-11-06 11:00 PM

The tiny house was so popular, I remember people actually writting into networks for them to make it into a real reality show

Jimmy James 10-11-06 11:11 PM

Tiny house would have been a great reality show.

Of the current crop, I actually like the GEICO celebrity commercials.

cornflakeguy 10-12-06 12:01 AM

The GEICO celebrity commercials are horrible, especially the Mini-Me one. It doesn't make any sense.

lordwow 10-12-06 12:07 AM

State Farm with the President from 24

mkdevo 10-12-06 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
The GEICO celebrity commercials are horrible, especially the Mini-Me one. It doesn't make any sense.

i really hate that one..

Brian Shannon 10-12-06 07:44 AM

I wish GEICO would go out of business.

People really buy their insurance from a lizard? Now that is poetic! rotfl

rfduncan 10-12-06 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by lordwow

Um... that is "You're in good hands with Allstate." Guess that is advertising $$$ well spent when people remember Dennis Haysbert but not the correct name of your company. :lol:

zebop 10-12-06 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
always liked the geico ones with the cavemen.

My favorite one was when the caveman said, "Not cool." Hilarious...

BuddhaWake 10-12-06 08:32 AM

the caveman ones are great. I really like the new one with the caveman having a sort of identity crisis in the airport with the little music playing. anyone know if that is an actual song?

Big Boy Laroux 10-12-06 08:53 AM

yeah, i like that song in the caveman airport commercial. not sure what it is.

and i completely forgot about tiny house.

"this is kinda awesome..."

The Bus 10-12-06 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by lordwow

Uh. AllState. :)

Diabolita23 10-12-06 01:08 PM

I like the Geico ads with the cavemen, but I think my favorite is the Mercury one where the "UFO expert" is convinced that he's found evidence in the backwoods of some hick state, and he meets said hick and the guy shows him the "alien" and the ufo expert is like "That's an armadillo".

Goldberg74 10-12-06 01:24 PM

State Farms' "Now What" Campaign...

... and I'm an AllState customer.

Diabolita23 10-13-06 12:51 PM

Heh, that one is good (yeah, I'm a AAA customer). Oh by the way the commercial I posted above is on the site I posted in the initial post (that's why I try to always include a link to whatever I'm talking about), once the site is loaded you click on the TV in the upper right corner (it says "video evidence"). They have all the commercials from that series on there, my fave is the 4th one "Captured". Cute gimmick.

mmconhea 10-13-06 01:04 PM

I think the progressive ones are hilarious, not intentionally, but because they are just so damn stupid that I laugh at the marketing executive that signed off on them.

bigsoos 10-13-06 01:25 PM

the one where the guy gets a chest full of cake b/c the leg room is small.

Rogue588 10-13-06 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
the caveman ones are great. I really like the new one with the caveman having a sort of identity crisis in the airport with the little music playing. anyone know if that is an actual song?

Yes, it is.

redskull 10-13-06 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Originally Posted by BuddhaWake

Yes, it is.

So does this song have a name, Pully McTeeth?

Rogue588 10-13-06 03:30 PM

On Fridays, I prefer Captain Literal.

Remind Me by Royksopp.

Lee Harvey Oswald 10-13-06 08:34 PM

I like the Geico commericals: Tiny House, Caveman, Little Richard & The Movie Voice Guy.

However, I hate the Mini-me commercial. I feel like shooting myself when I see it. I can't stand him and don't want to hear him singing it's my birthday.

Jason 10-14-06 09:36 PM

I like the movie voice guy, but the woman in that commercial is scary-ugly. I can't stand the little richard one, and mini-me is just a waste.

Overall, Geico seems to have some of the better ad campaigns on TV.