DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Daily Show v. The Colbert Report (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/480400-daily-show-v-colbert-report.html)

Tracer Bullet 10-11-06 10:32 AM

The Daily Show v. The Colbert Report

This was done about a year ago (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=448217), but with the one-year anniversary of the Report coming up soon, I thought it was time for another go at this. I've noticed more people saying that the Report is better than TDS now.

For me, it's no contest: the Report is the superior show at this point. I wasn't sure if it was going to have any staying power, but it's proven itself, and it just keeps getting better. Last night's "Cooking with Feminists" segment was much funnier than anything TDS has done in the past month, and it was a so-so bit by the Report's standards.

TDS is getting tired. None of the new correspondents are very good, and the writing has seemed off for a few months now. For me the topper was the "Seat of Heat"- when the host seems embarrassed about a segment, that's probably not a great sign. Rob Corddry finally left, but now we've got the most senior correspondents being the husband/wife team of Samantha Bee and Jason Jones. ...Yikes.

Chew 10-11-06 10:55 AM

All of the Daily Show correspondents (with the exception of the completely underused John Hodgman) just aren't that funny to me. Typically, the Stewart/Colbert interaction at the end of Daily Show is the highlight of that half-hour.

I go Colbert in the poll.

Jay G. 10-11-06 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
All of the Daily Show correspondents (with the exception of the completely underused John Hodgman) just aren't that funny to me.

John Hodgman's a contributor to the show, not a correspondent. People like him and Demitri Martin appear on the show depending largely on their own schedules.

I've really enjoyed the newer British correspondents John Oliver and Dave Gorman.

slop101 10-11-06 11:17 AM

Colbert's just got more laughs per minute than DS - it also doesn't help that DS lost some of it's best people (Courdry, Helms). Not to mention, Stewart's gotten a bit more smug lately - and not in the amusing and fake Colbert way either.

kvrdave 10-11-06 11:23 AM

John Stewert seems to be believing the hype about himself, and I don't find him all that amusing anymore. There are laughs, but the Colbert report is pretty damn funny all the way.

When Stewert asks a stupid question that he is pretending to be serious about, it comes across as a stupid question meant for a cheap laugh. Colbert sells it.

tpc 10-11-06 11:48 AM

i guess I still prefer the daily show slightly, but it's nowhere near as funny as it once was, and the gap has closed.

Stewart has annoyed me a bit of late when he has guests on that are political in nature, particularly if he seems to disagree with them. he seems to constantly talk over them and push his own agenda, comedic as it may be. it's something that's been irritating me. colbert does it, but his double-talk-tongue-in-cheek delivery make it work better.

SPiRAL 10-11-06 12:28 PM

I chose TCR. It's kinda hard to miss either show, it seems they are on like every 2 hrs.

MrX 10-11-06 12:34 PM

Stewart's almost become a clown with his over the topness on certain things. Colbert's straight man delivery is much better. On the Report they can do something that doesn't work well, like last nights episode with the audience interaction, and then come back and knock something out of the park, Cooking with Feminists.

What other show is going to be able to get Jane Fonda and Gloria Steinem in an apron:lol:

DJLinus 10-11-06 07:40 PM

The Colbert Report, for pretty much all of the reasons already stated.

yohansen5b 10-11-06 07:44 PM

don't forget about the fan base. stewart has fans, sure, but colbert's will do ANYTHING for him.

MrBob 10-11-06 08:18 PM

The Cobert Report for me as well, steven is in the zone right now. And quite honestly the funniest thing on the Daily show is the ending segment with Cobert.

But to be fair the Daily show has been on for a long time, and most of the quality talent has gone on to greener pastures.

dolphinboy 10-11-06 08:19 PM

If someone thinks Samantha Bee isn't hysterical, I almost can't believe that they'd even enjoy either of these shows.

The first 5-10 minutes of the TDS are usually VERY good. Lately, he goes to the correspondents pretty quickly and that can be hit or miss.

Nothing with Sam Bee is anything but hilarious.

TDS interviews aren't very good and he seems to waste much of the last 15 minutes of the show.

So, from start to finish, Colbert's show is the better of the 2 right now.

From time to time his Word segment falls really flat, but that's the only time when the show might be anything but top notch.

Dr_Evil 10-11-06 08:27 PM

The Colbert Report by a mile. It is a much better show at this point.

darkside 10-13-06 06:43 AM

Okay, I love both shows and think they compliment each other well.

That said, Colbert Report is currently the better show IMO. Colbert has just hit a perfect note with his conservative character and the Word is the best segment on either show. Colbert lets himself get knocked down a peg too if a guest is on a role. The Fonda kiss pretty much shut him down the other night.

BTW, on the George Lucas episode I could have sworn they forgot to bleep out an Fbomb during the Tek Jansen cartoon.