DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - 10/09/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/480144-studio-60-sunset-strip-10-09-06-a.html)

kvrdave 10-11-06 11:31 AM

Well, I think I will keep watching it only because I have been watching it. Better than last weeks show, but it really doesn't do much for me.

vegasbaby 10-11-06 11:48 AM

How can I a guy like Sorkin, who puts so much emphasis on dialogue, hire a guy like Hughley who no-one can understand?

Red Dog 10-11-06 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Although it reminds me of The Larry Sanders Show. The actual on-air show was a very tepid, lame talk show (unless something was going wrong). But the series itself is one of the funniest of all time.

In that respect, I see a similarity. However, Larry was brilliant. This is just plain boring - I really don't care about any of these characters or their 'problems.'

slop101 10-11-06 05:35 PM

I think Sorkin is much better at being clever than he is at being funny.

GoldenJCJ 10-11-06 06:29 PM

Agreed on the comdey aspect. I think the behind the scenes stuff is great but I would prefer they left the showing us the TV show aspect out of it. Some truly unfunny skits.

It's a shame it isn't doing too well in the ratings. I'll be sorry if it gets cancelled mainly because I enjoy the chemistry between Perry and Whitford.

Jobronie 10-11-06 06:43 PM

Never loved, never hated Whitford in the past. I think he's fantastic in this.

And I really like Busfield too, and I've never cared for him in the past......

RichC2 10-11-06 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Agreed on the comdey aspect. I think the behind the scenes stuff is great but I would prefer they left the showing us the TV show aspect out of it. Some truly unfunny skits.

It's a shame it isn't doing too well in the ratings. I'll be sorry if it gets cancelled mainly because I enjoy the chemistry between Perry and Whitford.

Which sadly makes it all the more realistic, how many funny late night sketch shows are out there?

GoldenJCJ 10-11-06 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Which sadly makes it all the more realistic, how many funny late night sketch shows are out there?

True. I guess it's about up to par with anything SNL has put out in several years.

MechanicalMan 10-11-06 07:52 PM

Yeah, this show doesn't suck; it's just being realistic. :rolleyes:

devilshalo 10-11-06 08:08 PM

The difference between Studio 60 and Sports Night is that characters weren't trying to be funny on Sports Night, where the characters on Studio 60 are trying too hard to be funny.

lotsofdvds 10-11-06 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
The difference between Studio 60 and Sports Night is that characters weren't trying to be funny on Sports Night, where the characters on Studio 60 are trying too hard to be funny.

The characters on Sports Night weren't working on a comedy show.

movieking 10-12-06 06:54 AM

I still like this show, but it isn't in the same league as Sports Night. To me, very very few shows are. I still like it enough to keep watching, but with all the promotion tied into this, I can't see them cancelling this anytime soon, without trying it in at least another couple of time slots.

Palaver 10-12-06 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by mike7162
And I couldn't understand a damn thing D.L. Hughley said all night - he makes me pine for the elocutionary brilliance of Dule Hill.

Hey. I learned a new word today.

And I agree. I couldn't stand Dule Hill's character on West Wing because of his elocution.

DVD Josh 10-12-06 09:07 AM

I am very close to giving up on this. It's just not that good. It moves WAY too fast and there's just too much going on. But what really bugs me? The 7-8 "walk and talks" per episode. It's in all of his series and it's downright annoying.

Next week is make or break for me.

mdc3000 10-12-06 09:25 AM

I love the "Walk and Talk"...it's a Schlamme/Sorkin signature and I think it works because it helps the show move along at that FAST pace....I like that there is so much happening you have to work with the show... I am going to be flatout devastated if/when this gets axed... why isn't the public watching this!?!?!?!

MATT

Chew 10-12-06 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
why isn't the public watching this!?!?!?!

I don't think you need to look much beyond this thread for the reasons.

B.A. 10-12-06 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jobronie
Never loved, never hated Whitford in the past. I think he's fantastic in this.

And I really like Busfield too, and I've never cared for him in the past......

Peet, Whitford and Busfield are the best parts of the show.

vegasbaby 10-12-06 11:53 AM

Prediction : they'll move the show to another night, but it will still get cancelled by the end of November.

lotsofdvds 10-12-06 12:09 PM

Well, 30 Rock's ratings were lower than the lowest Studio 60 ratings... so Studio 60 wins the battle. Sorta.

MechanicalMan 10-12-06 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Well, 30 Rock's ratings were lower than the lowest Studio 60 ratings... so Studio 60 wins the battle. Sorta.

Gee, I wonder which show is more expensive. They may need to start talking about ovens on Studio 60 soon. :p