DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   10/05/06 - My Name is Earl - Sticks & Stones (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/479786-10-05-06-my-name-earl-sticks-stones.html)

PixyJunket 10-05-06 07:47 AM

10/05/06 - My Name is Earl - Sticks & Stones

Summary:

When Earl watches Catalina give the motel maid a facial wax, he decides to make amends for number ninety-one on his list - "made fun of Maggie Lester" for having a moustache. Earl and Randy pay Maggie a visit and find out she is working in the Witzel Traveling Carnival as "The Amazing Bearded Woman" but has dreams to work in another "normal" field. Joy and Darnell, meanwhile, deal with the repercussions of Joy's breaking the law.

wergo 10-05-06 07:33 PM

Yikes.

That was easily my least favorite MNIE ever. Painfully unfunny PSA with an important moral lesson. And even a montage scene with sappy music. Without even a trace of irony. All medicine, no spoonful of sugar.

Two great episodes in a row and then this. I never saw it coming.

MechanicalMan 10-05-06 07:43 PM

I've finally stopped watching and will find something better to do while waiting for The Office. MNIE is awful.

Matt 10-05-06 08:09 PM

I think Earl would seem funnier if it didn't have the funniest show on TV directly following it.

Snowmaker 10-05-06 08:42 PM

I thought it was good. Randy's thinking out loud had me :lol: as well as Joy laughing at her lawyer's talking.

Mopower 10-05-06 08:43 PM

Boring!

Brain Stew 10-05-06 08:47 PM

I'm really getting tired of Earl. The Office is sooo much better.

Jay G. 10-05-06 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I'm really getting tired of Earl. The Office is sooo much better.

So you can only like one show at a time?

MrX 10-06-06 12:52 AM

The parts with Joy were pretty funny, the parts with Earl not so much.

slop101 10-06-06 01:34 AM

I prefer Judy Greer without a beard - and without a top...

Jimmy James 10-06-06 01:36 AM

Each of the episodes this year has seemed off in a different way. I think it may just be a little rust. We'll see how things look around sweeps.

Bronkster 10-06-06 01:41 AM

I don't know how poor taste it might've been been, but I was kinda hoping that Earl would see the kid with the claw hands and say "hey, crabman".

kenny79 10-06-06 02:34 AM

Anyone else noticed they deleted the word "Amish" at the beginning when Earl was talking about people coming together for a barn-raising? I understand the reason for it, but what other people raise barns? :lol:

darkside 10-06-06 06:53 AM

Darnell buying the deaf lawyers pencil had me rolling. The Joy stuff was pretty much the highlight of the show.

LorenzoL 10-06-06 07:09 AM

IMHO, this season episodes have been far from impressive. There were some funny parts in yesterday episode but overall, I wasn't too impressed with it.

JasonF 10-06-06 07:16 AM

Darnell explaining the cartoon was hilarious -- I thought we were leading up to him acting as Joy's lawyer. That would have been awesome.

I liked the Earl plotline.

I grew up not far from Shady Grove, but I never saw any hidden community of carnival freaks. I guess they are extremely well hidden.

I bet when Earl was taking them out for ice cream, he was taking them to Jimmy Cone. Is there anyone else from that part of Maryland reading this thread who knows about Jimmy Cone?

Derrich 10-06-06 08:13 AM

Joy laughing at Marlee Matlin's talking was worth the rest of the episode. Because you know that has to be the reaction on anyone the first time they hear her.
"If you could hear how you sound, you'd be laughing too"
D

testpattern 10-06-06 08:19 AM

Outside of Mt. Airy, MD here! Yes, was thinking of Jimmie Cone on a Cruise-In Saturday night!

[QUOTE=JasonF]Darnell explaining the cartoon was hilarious -- I thought we were leading up to him acting as Joy's lawyer. That would have been awesome.

I liked the Earl plotline.

I grew up not far from Shady Grove, but I never saw any hidden community of carnival freaks. I guess they are extremely well hidden.

I bet when Earl was taking them out for ice cream, he was taking them to Jimmy Cone. Is there anyone else from that part of Maryland reading this thread who knows about Jimmy Cone?[/QUOTE]

Charlie Goose 10-06-06 09:02 AM

Weak episode. Only Joy and Crabman were worth watching. I was hoping Crabman would become Joy's lawyer too.

DRG 10-06-06 09:16 AM

I think they're moving too far away from 'the list' here. Yes, I technically know the list was used a little in these episodes, but in both cases it was just a launching off point and not the focus. That's fine as a way to break things up a little, but they're doing it too much all at once.

DVD Josh 10-06-06 09:40 AM

Wow. I really had quite the opposite reaction. I really liked this episode. They are clearly moving away from straight comedy to a different kind of show and I like it. It doesn't always have to be a farce each week, and randy and crabman will always provide enough laughs to keep the story going. But the crux of this is earl's growth as a person, and I'm enjoying the positive message this show sends out.

cdollaz 10-06-06 10:26 AM

I'm getting kind of tired this show as well. Joy is the only one really consistently bringing the laughs these days. The Randy character has gotten stale because he is pretty much a one-trick pony. There are only so many times you can hear him say things that make him sound like an idiot before it gets old. Kinda like Chandler being sarcastic on Friends. It wears thin after a while.

boogieman03 10-06-06 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Wow. I really had quite the opposite reaction. I really liked this episode. They are clearly moving away from straight comedy to a different kind of show and I like it. It doesn't always have to be a farce each week, and randy and crabman will always provide enough laughs to keep the story going. But the crux of this is earl's growth as a person, and I'm enjoying the positive message this show sends out.

Same here. I'm actually quite surprised at the reactions to this episode. I thought it was excellent. I laughed out loud many times.

GuessWho 10-06-06 10:41 AM

I'm not trying to see MNIE as "a comedy" and judge it solely on laughs.

I'm just watching it as "a show"--without genre expectations--and it's still a good show.

Quatermass 10-06-06 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Derrich
Joy laughing at Marlee Matlin's talking was worth the rest of the episode. Because you know that has to be the reaction on anyone the first time they hear her.
"If you could hear how you sound, you'd be laughing too"
D

I laughed harder at that than anything in recent memory. That was brilliant!
Jaime Pressley's timing is perfect and Marlee Matlin was a good sport for allowing that.